2023 Juddmonte International Stakes Preview
The richest race which is run at York, the International Stakes, otherwise known as the Juddmonte International is a Group 1 race open to runners who are aged three or older and is run over a distance of one mile, two furlongs and fifty-six yards. The race takes place in August of each year and is run on the opening day of York's four-day Ebor Festival. Three-year-old runners receive a seven-pound allowance from the older runners and any fillies or mares in the race receive a three-pound allowance.
Juddmonte International Stakes Content:
- Juddmonte International Stakes Past Winners
- Juddmonte International Stakes Trainer Statistics
- Juddmonte International Stakes Jockey Statistics
- 2023 Juddmonte International Stakes Trends
- Juddmonte International Stakes Trend Analysis
- Other Principal races during the York Ebor Festival
To see which runners the OLBG racing tipsters are tipping throughout the card that includes this race, head over to the York Betting Picks on the day of the race, do they agree with the runners on the trend shortlist or are they predicting other runners?
Over the last 20 renewals, it was the A P O'Brien trained Duke Of Marmalade ridden by Johnny Murtagh who has set the fastest winning time in the Juddmonte International Stakes, the runner won the race in a time of 2:01.53 that was set when winning the race in 2008. At the other end of the scale, it was the combination of trainer Sir Henry Cecil and jockey Ian Mongan with Twice Over who set the slowest winning time, the race-winning time was 2:14.70 in the 2011 renewal.
These are the top three quickest-run Juddmonte International Stakes over the last 20 renewals:
- 2008 - Duke Of Marmalade (2:01.53)
- 2009 - Sea The Stars (2:05.29)
- 2013 - Declaration Of War (2:05.74)
How competitive is the Juddmonte International Stakes market? When looking at the over-rounds for the last 20 renewals, the most competitive market was in 2009 when the race had an over-round of 107%. The race in 2012 was a race that was most in the bookie's favour with an over-round of 137%, whilst on average over the last 20 renewals of the Juddmonte International Stakes, the over-round has been 114%, which means the bookie expects to pay out £100 for every £114 which is bet.
Looking at the future form, is the winner worth following next time out? From the past 20 if you had followed the winner of the Juddmonte International Stakes next time out then you would have back a total of 4 winners. Backing all 19 runners who have been out since to win at SP next time out, would have returned an LSP of -12.57. Before placing your bet on the 2023 Juddmonte International Stakes see which other runners today are being back on the racing predictions page.
Juddmonte International Stakes Past Winners
Here are the Juddmonte International Stakes past winners for the last 10 renewals. Each row details the year of the race, the horse which won along with the age & weight of the horse. Also detailed is the stall where the horse came from and also the total number of runners in the race. The trainer of the horse at the time of winning the Juddmonte International Stakes as well as the jockey is also displayed along with the starting price the horse was sent off.
4yo 9-8 (6 of 6) 2/5F
William Haggas (GB)
4yo 9-6 (6 of 7) 9/4F
John & Thady Gosden (GB)
5yo 9-6 (2 of 5) 11/8F
Charlie Appleby (GB)
3yo 8-13 (7 of 9) 5/1
A P O'Brien (IRE)
|Roaring Lion (USA)
3yo 8-13 (4 of 8) 3/1
John Gosden (GB)
4yo 9-6 (3 of 7) 4/1
Sir Michael Stoute (GB)
5yo 9-6 (6 of 12) 15/8F
Roger Varian (GB)
|Arabian Queen (IRE)
3yo 8-9 (5 of 7) 50/1
|Silvestre De Sousa
David Elsworth (GB)
3yo 8-12 (6 of 6) 8/13F
A P O'Brien (IRE)
|Declaration Of War (USA)
4yo 9-5 (2 of 6) 7/1
A P O'Brien (IRE)
Where have the winning runners come from?
Here are the countries where the winning trainers of the Juddmonte International Stakes have been based:
- GB: 13 winners with an additional 17 placings from 97 runners
- IRE: 6 winners with an additional 7 placings from 38 runners
- ITY: 1 winner with an additional 0 placings from 2 runners
- FR: 0 winners with an additional 2 placings from 6 runners
- JPN: 0 winners with an additional 1 placing from 2 runners
- SAF: 0 winners with an additional 0 placings from 1 runner
- HK: 0 winners with an additional 0 placings from 1 runner
Juddmonte International Stakes Trainer Statistics
The leading trainer in the Juddmonte International Stakes over the last 20 renewals is A P O'Brien who has won the race 5 times. Those 5 winners came from Duke Of Marmalade (2008), Rip Van Winkle (2010), Declaration Of War (2013), Australia (2014) & Japan (2019). The only other trainer to have recorded multiple wins in the Juddmonte International Stakes is Sir Michael Stoute (2 wins).
Here are some of the top Juddmonte International Stakes trainer statistics over the last 20 renewals (R = Runners, W = Winners, P = Places including winners, Win LSP is based on 1pt Win and EW LSP is based on 0.5pt Win & 0.5pt Place):
|A P O'Brien||33-5-10||-12.96||-11.34|
|Sir Michael Stoute||15-2-5||-1.00||-2.60|
|Saeed bin Suroor||9-1-2||-5.00||-4.70|
|John & Thady Gosden||2-1-2||+1.25||+1.41|
Juddmonte International Stakes Jockey Statistics
There are multiple leading jockeys in the Juddmonte International Stakes over the last 20 renewals with all of Ryan Moore, Frankie Dettori & Jim Crowley having all won the race 2 times. Ryan Moore winners have been with Notnowcato (2006) & Japan (2019). Frankie Dettori winners have been with Sulamani (2004) & Authorized (2007). Jim Crowley winners have been with Ulysses (2017) & Baaeed (2022).
Here are some of the top Juddmonte International Stakes jockey statistics over the last 20 renewals (R = Rides, W = Winners, P = Places including winners, Win LSP is based on 1pt Win and EW LSP is based on 0.5pt Win & 0.5pt Place):
|Silvestre De Sousa||1-1-1||+50.00||+31.25|
2023 Juddmonte International Stakes Trends
Favourites finishing positions (oldest to latest): ,7,3,4,4,1,1,1,1,3,1,3,1,2,1,2,2,2,1,1,1
The percentage shown is the percentage of the total number of runners who fell under that factor. High percentages are less appealing than lower ones as you would expect them to do well.
- 20 / 20 (71%) - 18-74 days (Last Placing)
- 20 / 20 (72%) - Had 1-9 placings (Class)
- 20 / 20 (75%) - Previously placed in a G1
- 20 / 20 (76%) - A RPR no less than 96 (Season)
- 20 / 20 (78%) - Made 2+ starts (Class)
- 20 / 20 (78%) - Achieved a RPR of 113+ (Class)
- 20 / 20 (79%) - Had 3+ wins (Turf)
- 20 / 20 (80%) - Had 1-3 placings (90 Days)
- 20 / 20 (81%) - Achieved a RPR of 110+ (LTO)
- 20 / 20 (82%) - Had 3-12 wins (Career)
- 20 / 20 (86%) - Won within last 5 starts
- 20 / 20 (86%) - No bigger than 9/1 (Last Win)
- 20 / 20 (86%) - Never gone further than 1m4f
- 19 / 20 (48%) - No bigger than 8/1
- 19 / 20 (55%) - Within first 4 of the market
- 19 / 20 (68%) - Previously won at least a G2
- 19 / 20 (71%) - Ran in a Group 1 (LTO)
- 19 / 20 (75%) - Beaten no more than 4½l (LTO)
- 19 / 20 (77%) - Ran in a Class 2-4 (Debut)
- 19 / 20 (82%) - Not wearing any equipment
- 18 / 20 (83%) - Ran over 7f+ (Debut)
Remember to use the trends listed above along with the York racing predictions to see if you can find the winner of the Juddmonte International Stakes. How well do you know your horse racing? Are there certain types of races that you are unsure of? Why not take a look at this Types Of Horse Race article to familiarise yourself with the different types of racing, that is just one of many helpful horse racing articles in the OLBG Betting School.
Are you already a member? If not, then why not? With over £6,000 given away each month in the tipster competition, why not get involved? Remember, It is completely FREE! So, head over to the registration page to sign up today! If you are already a member, then share your thoughts on the Juddmonte International Stakes by adding a tip on the race here.
Juddmonte International Stakes Trend Analysis
The trend factor which has produced 10+ winners and shows the best LSP, an LSP of +39.75 is when runners had 2 places in the past 90 days. The worst performing factor which has failed to produce a single winner is when runners had 0 career places in the class, when backing these the trend shows a record of 0-37.
Here are the most recent winning draws along with the further placings in brackets:
- 2022: Winner in 6 (5) [6 Runners]
- 2021: Winner in 6 (7) [7 Runners]
- 2020: Winner in 2 (1) [5 Runners]
- 2019: Winner in 7 (4,2) [9 Runners]
- 2018: Winner in 4 (6,7) [8 Runners]
The race is open to both sexes with the Male runners having produced a total of 19 winners from a total of 139 runners whilst the Female runners have produced 1 winner from a total of 8 runners.
Looking over the past renewals, these are the stallions whose offspring have produced multiple winners of the Juddmonte International Stakes:
- Galileo (5 Wins)
- Dubawi (3 Wins)
These are the stallions whose offspring have not produced a winner of the Juddmonte International Stakes despite multiple attempts:
- Danehill Dancer (0 Wins from 7 runners)
- Halling (0 Wins from 6 runners)
- Sadlers Wells (0 Wins from 5 runners)
Looking at the winning odds over the last 20 renewals, the biggest priced winner was Arabian Queen in 2015 when winning for David Elsworth at odds of 50/1 under the guidance of Silvestre De Sousa. Looking at the runners at the head of the market over the last 20 renewals there has been a total of 10 winning favourites in the race. Ahead of the 2023 Juddmonte International Stakes why not head over to the best racing tipster page to see what the tipsters are backing today?
Other Principal races during the York Ebor Festival
York Ebor festival races for Wednesday 23rd August 2023
- 13:50: Symphony Group Handicap
- 14:25: Acomb Stakes
- 15:00: Great Voltigeur Stakes
- 15:35: Juddmonte International Stakes
- 16:10: York Ebor Festival Stayers Handicap
York Ebor festival races for Thursday 24th August 2023
- 13:50: Lowther Stakes
- 14:25: Premier Yearling Stakes
- 15:00: Clipper Logistics Heritage Handicap
- 15:35: Yorkshire Oaks
- 16:10: Galtres Stakes
York Ebor festival races for Friday 25th August 2023
- 13:50: York Ebor Festival Sky Bet Handicap
- 14:25: Lonsdale Cup
- 15:00: Gimcrack Stakes
- 15:35: Nunthorpe Stakes