Mercury Music Prize Headlines
Indie rockers Wet Leg head the early Mercury Music Prize Odds
Twice nominated Kae Tempest would be a bold Mercury choice and the bookies think she has a good chance at odds around 6/1
Florence And The Machine who are regular nominees (but no wins) are again being considered for the prize according to the best betting sites.
The shortlist of Mercury Music prize albums will be announced on Tuesday 26th July 2022, with the winner revealed on Thursday 8th September 2022.
|Cate Le Bon||12|
|Black Country, New Road||13|
|Bad Boy Chiller Crew||17|
|Florence And The Machine||21|
Early Betting Odds
The betting features a host of artists who have been Mercury nominated in previous years, these include Black Midi, Fontaines D.C, and Little Simz.
Mercury Music Prize
The prestigious award was created in 1992 and is based solely on the merit of the album.
The judges come from the great and the good of the music world and include musicians, presenters, producers, journalists, and festival organisers.
The winner and nominees generally receive a huge increase in sales, although it does depend on the amount of coverage the list and ceremony garners.
Mercury Sales Boost
It was reported that the debut album Psychodrama by Dave nearly doubled sales after winning the 2019 Mercury Music Prize.
If the award is picked up by mainstream news organisations, and has articles written in the press it can make a notable difference to albums sold and the artist's reputation.
You always get some naysayers around artistic awards and those who pooh pooh choosing a winner from different music genres.
But in these troubling times singers and bands, especially those less well known, often need a helping hand, just being on the Mercury Prize shortlist should give them a boost.
Most Nominated Music Prize Artists
- Artists with longevity and those who continue producing quality work feature numerous times in the music nominations.
- Top of the list is Radiohead with 5 nominations, (but no wins) followed by the Arctic Monkeys, Laura Marling and PJ Harvey with four apiece.
- P J Harvey is the only artist who has won the award twice.
|P J Harvey||4|
|Bat For Lashes||3|
|Florence and The Machine||3|
Mercury Music Prize Betting
There is nothing complicated about betting on the Mercury Music Prize it is a betting market like a list of horses for the Grand National.
You simply need to go to your favourite betting app and head to the TV & Specials section in the menu, select Mercury Music Prize.
If you do not have an active online betting account, then head over to our betting sites section where you will see a list of bookmakers available in the UK.
We have in-depth bookmaker reviews so you can see what other users think of them before deciding, or head over to the free bets page where you can see the list of welcome offers currently available from all UK betting sites.
Once on the betting app or bookmaker site, use the index and scroll down the index to the entertainment or specials sections.
Once you have found Mercury Music Prize you will see the full list of artists being offered as options to bet on.
- All you need do is click on your selection.
- This will open up the bet slip, at which point you will see confirmation of the betting odds being offered
- Now you choose your stake - most betting sites will show you how much you can expect to have returned if your prediction is correct.
- If you are happy, simple hit, PLACE BET, to confirm your selection, stake, and bet.
- You will be given a receipt for your bet and it will appear in your open bets in your account details.
- Then it's just a matter of waiting to see who is finally chosen.
Select A Bookmaker to bet on The Mercury Music Prize
If you don't have a currently active online betting app on your phone, take a look at the list of leading bookmakers. Betway, Ladbrokes & Paddy Power amongst many others will have Mercury Music Prize Odds.Leading Bookmakers
Mercury Music Prize Last Year
- Collapsed In Sunbeams by Arlo Parks won the Mercury Music Prize, the initial second favourite (4/1) was heavily backed into (7/4) on the day of the awards and duly won.
- Soul and R&B collective Sault had been long term favourites for the Hyundai Mercury Music Prize but then drifted on the day to a best price of 100/30.
|Artist||Album||Opening Betting Odds||Betting Percentage Chance|
|Arlo Parks||Collapsed In Sunbeams||4/1||20.00%|
|Laura Mvula||Pink Noise||4/1||20.00%|
|Black Country New Road||For The First Time||6/1||14.29%|
|Ghetts||Conflict Of Interest||13/2||13.33%|
|Floating Points - Pharoah Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra||Promises||8/1||11.11%|
|Wolf Alice||Blue Weekend||10/1||9.09%|
|Celeste||Not Your Muse||10/1||9.09%|
|Mogwai||As The Love Continues||16/1||6.67%|
|Hannah Peel||Fir Wave||20/1||4.76%|
Previous Mercury Music Prize Winners
|2021||Arlo Parks||Chasing Sunbeams|
|2018||Wolf Alice||Visions Of Life|
|2015||Benjamin Clementine||Deep Snow|
|2012||alt -J||An Awesome Wave|
|2011||P J Harvey||Let England Shake|
|2009||Speech Debelle||Speech Therapy|
|2008||Elbow||The Seldom Seen Kid|
|2007||Klaxons||Myths Of the Near Future|
|2006||Arctic Monkeys||Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I Am Not|
|2005||Antony And The Johnsons||I Am A Bird Now|
|2004||Franz Ferdinand||Franz Ferdinand|
|2003||Dizzee Rascal||Boy In Da Corner|
|2002||Ms.Dynamite||A Little Deeper|
|2001||P J Harvey||Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea|
|2000||Badly Drawn Boy||The Hour Of Dewilderbeest|
|1998||Gomez||Bring It On|
|1997||Roni Size/Reprazent||New Forms|
|1994||M People||Elegant Slumming|