BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2017

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2017

Postby LustForLeith » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:10 pm

The dust has barely settled on last years award meaning there's no better time to guess who'll win this years event!

There's a couple that catch my eye early on. Lewis Hamilton went close to winning the F1 title last season. If he can go one better will he be the one to beat?

Another is tennis star Johanna Konta. The British number one and Woman's number ten could have a big year ahead of her.

Early favourite is Anthony Joshua but as I'm sure Stereoman pointed out boxers doint usually do that well.

When I get a minute I'm going to see if there's any trends!

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Re: BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2017

Postby Gman84 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:00 am

This is an award that doesn't always go to the best sports person of the year, I appreciate it's called the "personality" award but that might even be less true. Basically, it's a popularity context and there have been some strange winners in the past but some deserving ones too.

I wouldn't touch Anthony Joshua at 3/1, as mentioned, boxers don't have a brilliant record in this (5 winners in 64 comps, two by the same person, Henry Cooper) but also his career defining fight is quite early in the year (April) and is a tough task but even should he win, lets say he fights David Haye near years end - he could lose that. Way too risky and short a price for a long te3rm bet.

Hard to argue against Andy Murray at a best priced 5/1 especially if he adds any more Grand Slams to the trophy cabinet but Wimbledon will be the key one, it sticks more in the public's mind and it would be a successful title defense which would be huge. However, there could also be an appetite for change and to give it to someone else.

Ben Ainslie could benefit a bit from the "Ryan Giggs" factor in that his past achievements grouped with his America's Cup attempt might gain him some traction. He sits on 12/1 and at least that's a price that seems a bit more value. He looks to have a good chance in his event having taken the World Series last year but frankly, I know next to nothing about boats/sailing and I dare say plenty of people don't get capatured by it unless we hear of a Brit we've never heard of winning a medal at the Olympics.

Speaking of Olympics there is none this year, summer or winter, but there is the Athletics World Championships and the punt I like at this point is (Sir) Mo Farah. Again, his past achievements help his cause but if he could defend his two titles at the WC's which are in London so will gain good publicity, I think he has an outstanding chance. His opening run of the year up in Scotland didn't go well but he said himself his training is a little behind and once he gets into it he'll be fine. He is 33 though now and this is the end of his athletics career after the WC's and he's going to concentrate on marathon. 14/1 looks ok to me.

One more at a bigger price, Chris Froome at 33/1. If he took a third Tour De France...

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:44 pm

This is an award that doesn't always go to the best sports person of the year, I appreciate it's called the "personality" award but that might even be less true. Basically, it's a popularity context and there have been some strange winners in the past but some deserving ones too.

I wouldn't touch Anthony Joshua at 3/1, as mentioned, boxers don't have a brilliant record in this (5 winners in 64 comps, two by the same person, Henry Cooper) but also his career defining fight is quite early in the year (April) and is a tough task but even should he win, lets say he fights David Haye near years end - he could lose that. Way too risky and short a price for a long te3rm bet.

Hard to argue against Andy Murray at a best priced 5/1 especially if he adds any more Grand Slams to the trophy cabinet but Wimbledon will be the key one, it sticks more in the public's mind and it would be a successful title defense which would be huge. However, there could also be an appetite for change and to give it to someone else.

Ben Ainslie could benefit a bit from the "Ryan Giggs" factor in that his past achievements grouped with his America's Cup attempt might gain him some traction. He sits on 12/1 and at least that's a price that seems a bit more value. He looks to have a good chance in his event having taken the World Series last year but frankly, I know next to nothing about boats/sailing and I dare say plenty of people don't get capatured by it unless we hear of a Brit we've never heard of winning a medal at the Olympics.

Speaking of Olympics there is none this year, summer or winter, but there is the Athletics World Championships and the punt I like at this point is (Sir) Mo Farah. Again, his past achievements help his cause but if he could defend his two titles at the WC's which are in London so will gain good publicity, I think he has an outstanding chance. His opening run of the year up in Scotland didn't go well but he said himself his training is a little behind and once he gets into it he'll be fine. He is 33 though now and this is the end of his athletics career after the WC's and he's going to concentrate on marathon. 14/1 looks ok to me.

One more at a bigger price, Chris Froome at 33/1. If he took a third Tour De France...
Great insight Gman. Still early days but would love to see the likes of Ronnie O Sullivan make the cut.

jaydubs
Stallion
Tips

Postby jaydubs » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:11 pm

I think Konta has a big chance at 14s... if she beats Serena then it's not a difficult tournament to win....

She is getting better and has a chance in the majors.. .

There have been plenty of female winners and Wade won it in 77 when she won Wimbledon. The last Brit winner of a grand slam event.

It could be a poor year and a ranking in top 5 plus a final or 2 could be the answer

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:15 pm

Women's tennis is so precarious but it looks like Johanna Konta may win a meaningful title if she can get the better of Caroline Wozniacki in this year's Miami Open. Whether that translates into a Grand Slam is questionable when the likes of Serena Williams turns up.

Roger Federer was odds on to win Overseas Personality just as he won the Australian Open last time there were odds available. It's a jury vote so whoever the BBC want to give it to. I feel it's absurd if they don't give it to Serena Williams eventually but mind you, they fobbed Michael Phelps off with a lifetime achievement award last year as Usain Bolt kept him from winning one in an Olympic year. Simone Biles won Overseas Personality last year.

...with a third of the year gone, here are the odds right now.

The spectre of Anthony Joshua beating Wladimir Klitschko may mean he sets the target for the remainder of the year and unlike Tyson Fury, he's less forthright with his opinions so may get some hype to win SPotY come December.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:07 am

Konta wins in Miami!

Now up to world number seven!

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:48 pm

Hmmm. Ellie Downie will very likely make it onto the shortlist but won't win.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/39686177

If Ronnie O'Sullivan somehow wins a sixth World Snooker title then would there be a push or he is too divisive to get a lot of the votes like a certain Tyson Fury?

I'm not sure about Anthony Joshua. He may very well likely beat Vladimir Klitshcko but to maintain support from the last week of April to December!? Last guy to do that was um, Tony McCoy? Joshua might need a title defence around November/December time to nudge voters who can only think of tennis but with Andy Murray's injury woes, it'll need another Wimbledon to get him an unprecedented third BBC SPotY in a row.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:35 am

I think the same about Joshua. I can't imagine his fight catching the public's imagination enough to sustain his popularity.

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:46 am

Didn't watch the fight but it's a helluva marker to put down between now and December. Anthony Joshua was backed into 7/4 as some folks anticipated victory before Saturday...he's now odds-on at a best price 2/5!

How 'woke' is the BBC SPotY!? Denied Mo Farah but it's gonna take something the BBC shows for the bias to stop Anthony Joshua at this rate! A push for Mark Selby or John Higgins then!? LOL!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/39748791

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Mon May 01, 2017 7:05 am

Didn't watch the fight but it's a helluva marker to put down between now and December. Anthony Joshua was backed into 7/4 as some folks anticipated victory before Saturday...he's now odds-on at a best price 2/5!

How 'woke' is the BBC SPotY!? Denied Mo Farah but it's gonna take something the BBC shows for the bias to stop Anthony Joshua at this rate! A push for Mark Selby or John Higgins then!? LOL!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/39748791
I didn't watch the fight as I didn't think it would be any good :lol:

Think he's the person too beat

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:02 pm

Jermain Defoe is as short as 3/1 second favourite now.

STEVEOCN
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby STEVEOCN » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:06 pm

I actually backed Lewis Hamilton at 20/1 for this last weekend.

I can't see Joshua winning the BBC Sports Personality of the Year although that's just my opinion he may be a nailed on cert for it but it's ten years since a boxer last won it.

Hamilton last won it in 2014 when he won his first world championship and I feel if he can overturn Vettel in this campaign that 20/1 will be into a price around 5/2 or 3/1.

Only a small stake in a novelty market.