Horses getting killed in grand national your views ( poll )

How do You feel about horse racing now

Still for it
81%
Against it
6%
Feel abit uneasy about it now
13%

Total votes: 194
carswell04
Group 3 Class
Tips

Horses getting killed in grand national your views ( poll )

Postby carswell04 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi i was watching the grand national today with my 6 year old daughter and she had her £1 bet and we were looking forward to it .

Then we seen Synchronised running away from mccoy and we had a great laugh at that . Watching it on the tv the horse seemed very calm and happy . He didnt win and that didnt bother us as we still had a enjoyable day watching it .

Anyways after the race i found out that Synchronised had been put down due to him injuring hiself during the race and after hearing this it has put a sick feeling in my stomach that only a few hours ago that horse had been calm, happy and well but then dies because we decided to race them for OUR entertainment.

I know people are going to say people die in marthons , cycling etc etc but the difference is those people have a choice to race/ not race . Were as those horses dont , they get raced so we can place bets or for our entertainments

Just wondering how everyone else feels abouts this

Scaifey
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby Scaifey » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:33 pm

Carswell - have you actually sat down and thought about what you are saying? So from the comments you have made, are we to presume you would like horse racing to stop? Firstly, you are an a 'horse racing' forum - so i'm guessing the response will be of a no? Secondly, is it just the National that you want stopped? Or do you want a stop to ALL racing (bearing in mind, horses/jockeys have died over flat and hurdles - not just the national)? Just need some clarification of where you are going with this before I respond? Thanks
Slow and steady wins the race!

TheBooyRooney
Stallion
Tips

Postby TheBooyRooney » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:01 pm

Well don't u eat a cow or a pig for your dinner? .they haven't died of natural causes ya know.terrible to lose horses for connections but they are animals at the end of the day and IMO are treated amazingly well and are not let suffer If injured.
*SPEED RATINGS WITH MARKET SUPPORT BLOG*
SPEED BLOG 2011+447.25pts
**From small stakes,average bet 5pts per day**

inplayking
At Stud
Tips

Postby inplayking » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:17 pm

but the difference is those people have a choice to race/ not race . Were as those horses dont , they get raced so we can place bets or for our entertainments
Have you ever tried racing/jumping a horse that doesn't want to race/jump, believe me you won't, these horses ENJOY what they do and as TheBooyRooney says, they are treated exceptionally well and have a much better life than those just strolling around a field all day.

neonlight
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby neonlight » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:43 am

Unfortunately i cant vote for the simple reason is that horses are designed to run and jump its what they have been doing since the beginning of theyre evolution cycle.Its a fact that horses love to do what they do everyday of there lives.Wether its in the wild ,on a farm,ranch,racecourse etc,etc,etc
Highlights of Chelt 2012,AP on Sycronised ,masterful ride,HuntBall a Trojan of a horse,Ataglance Young Haynes lost his whip in the final 2 and still managed to get his mount over the line to win !!!

Baxta76
Handicapper
Tips

Postby Baxta76 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:45 am

I turned vegetarian about 5 years ago but continued to bet on horses. Eventually after doing a lot of research on the Internet I decided I was being hypocritical but still bet on horses as I guess gambling is kind of addictive, and then rewinding died and it made me sob. I was disgusted at myself for being weak and decided not to bet on horses again... But the addiction is strong and I bet in the race which Fox Hunt died in over in Meydan and when I went into my old bookies yesterday the man said you are the last person I expected to see betting on a race like this, but I did, and I backed synchronised. Never again.

Warren Hill
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Warren Hill » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:17 am

Firstly the race doesnt need 40 runners.....thats way too many horses charging down to the first few fences.

Of course we have fatalities in most sports and horse racing is one,but the Grand National has turned into a race where year in year out we have one or more horses killed. For me thats down to the way this race is structured and thats the thing that the authorities must look into.

Would the national loose its "value" if they cut down the field sizes or made the more modifications to the jumps and maybe the class of horse allowed to run....In my opinion it wouldnt..

What the statement released by Aintree said was in my opinion ridiculous.

To say that all horses and jockeys are of the highest standard for the sport is way off the mark. We have had and still do have plenty of amatuer jockeys riding and also at least 15 of the horses running have NO chance. Too many slow horses and quite a few poor jumpers that get in the way.

I think if they cut the field down to 25 runners would be a start. Also thay have to look at some of the drops on these fences. Ok they have modified the fences over the last few years but the drop on the landing side of a few is way too steep and we see plenty of horses falling due to the speed thay are coming down on the landing side .

As for the farce with Sycronised.....That horse should NEVER been allowed to run in this type of race after what happened at the start.

Ok we see horses doing this all the time and on the flat it isnt too bad because in the race if the horse tires then it can just come home in its own time..

They said the vets checked the horse before hand and found it sound...BUT the horse was stressed and i would have thought tired after its exploits and thats why it shouldnt have beeen allowed to take part. The connections are partly to blame here but also the racing authorities who put these rules into place.

So on the flat if you burst out of the stalls...you CANT run but in the Grand National which as we all know is the most punishing race we have its ok to run a horse that has bolted going down to the start and is obviously distressed and tired..

For me thats a joke... :yes:
Always Trying.....

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:27 am

I think its the prominence given to the deaths by the media that fans the flames of this.

In their quest for balance they ALWAYS have to add a negative to a positve and vice versa. Just watch any news report today on any subject.

For the other 364 days of the year deaths of horses in NH Racing is not an issue.

overthefence
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby overthefence » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:27 am

Firstly I agree that 40 runners is too much and a higher class race with 25-28 would seem a better option and not detract from the spectacle.

I agree also that the landing sides on some fences is to steep and whilst this makes the challenge 30 fences over 4m is challenge enough without steep landing sides.

That said though these France's are not used purely one day a year but on a few occasions and none of those races had fatalities.

Here though is my big problems with AIntree/RSPCA and welfare groups. What they say is that the fences are too stiff, so they lower them. To me if I am a jockey and a fence is lowered I know my chance of getting from take off side to Landon side is greater, so what would I do, I would go quicker.
The quicker you go the more chance you have of falling, especially when you have quite a few in the race that cannot realistically win foregoing a real situation.

So make the fences tougher, slow the general speed of the race and reduce the fatalities that way.
www.twitter.com/overthefence200

PDC runner up -Dec 2011
Horse Racing Pro tipsters - 5th Place Mar 2012

mikeyc1992
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby mikeyc1992 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:08 am

We have so many endangered species .....nh horses will be next.
In the future they will be ban horse riding ...too dangerous ask an a&e doctor.
We will all be wrapped up in cotton woolen.

lee cufc
At Stud
Tips

Postby lee cufc » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:25 am

the owners and trainers know the score,its sad that it happens when a horse dies but the horses run and jump thats what they do, they do not know anything else.if you don't like the situation don't bet or watch them. :?
its not personnal,just my opinion

InsideMan
Stallion
Tips

Postby InsideMan » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 am

I honestly don't know why people complain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_slaughter

thousands of horses are slaughtered every year and as this source says 92% of them are fit and healthy. Horses love to race so we should let them and if the odd two or three die then that's just how the luck goes