Eurovision Song Contest 2016 - Comments/Discussion

bottomlesspit
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby bottomlesspit » Sun May 15, 2016 6:31 am

It was well gone midnight when I went to bed (CET), with the jury vote not even half way through.
Surely they have to start this an hour earlier next year?

Had it not been for this forum, I would not have gone within a country mile of the excruciating Ukraine entry, so thanks chaps.
As a music contest, however, that result pretty much hammered the last nail in the coffin of its integrity.

I also think Jamala should have been banned for her overtly political 'vote for me if you don't like Russia' rhetoric before the show, but that is another story....

No arguments about Germany, though - a great and fair result!

UnderdogsLover
Stallion
Tips

Postby UnderdogsLover » Sun May 15, 2016 6:57 am

:shock: Wow it lasted that long ..
bottomlesspit
It was well gone midnight when I went to bed (CET), with the jury vote not even half way through.
1: Doubt be watching it next year- feel they need to reduce Countries.
Eurovision was fun to watch when Abba won it and then Bucks Fizz
back in the early 1980s, as did not drag on it was quick sorting out the points.
Now added viewers vote takes longer to.
2: Anyway say bout 15 votes come in and Our Country UK not doing
well !! ie if not in top 10 in points i normally switch off, not staying up all
night just to here Winner
As don t know what time it finished??

Think said my bit, id preferred the old system of points it was
alot quicker. no way staying up pass midnight etc..
As i like my Sunday mornings.... :cool:

Santos1076
2yo
Tips

Postby Santos1076 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:45 am

Some thoughts. Australia feels like a jury winner and a popular entry in west (contemporary, strong vocal). I also think that Ukraine will be ahead of Russia after the jury voting. Also, Ukraine actually has big potential in televote. Jamala is charting suprisingly good and has some monstrous stats on youtube (likes and views after semi is Conchita level).

Still, Russia will probably win the televote. Charting across Europe, very good youtube stats and that staging will captivate people. Ukraine very close and could also get 240+ from televote. Australia may struggle in televote due to poor results from East.

Russia 3rd in jury and winner in televote could be enough. And I haven't even mentioned Sweden or Armenia who both could threaten the top3... Going to be a close contest in which the new voting system will make it very interesting.
Very impressive Nahtanoj..... hope you cashed in on your mystical powers.

adamross
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby adamross » Sun May 15, 2016 7:49 am

For me, the best bets were on the Top 3,4,5 and 10 markets. There was value to be had until the last couple of days.

I was convinced that Australia had defeated Ukraine by a decent margin in the semi final which was spot on. However assuming that wouldn\'t be reversed in the final was sadly incorrect. It was pretty easy to keep them onside given the drift but I missed out on a sizeable win on the outright.

The group as a unit called it pretty well. It\'s been enjoyable and a bit feisty at times. That\'s allowed, we are pretty passionate about this and it shows!

Systemsman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Well done.

Postby Systemsman » Sun May 15, 2016 9:36 am

Congratulations to all winners and in particular the teams six NAP selectors for Ukraine (will post names up when i can find the list again).

Also a big well done to the OLBG ESC team who did predict the winner again.
Last edited by Systemsman on Sun May 15, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Systemsman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Not a winner for me

Postby Systemsman » Sun May 15, 2016 9:45 am

Well i got it wrong this year but it was a year in which the juries were not going to let Russia win under any circumstances. Happy Russia won the public vote well but after that over the top Jury vote for Australia and a too low jury vote for Russia it was impossible for Russia to win. To be honest i would not blame Russia if they withdrew from the ESC for a time as currently while they can do well they have too many lining up to stop them winning (but to be fair their 2016 song on its own was not quite good enough but they did have a great overall package).

Was Ukraine the best song - no way but that how it goes sometime. I have no regrets - it was very hard to predict the winner early doors but i am still happy that my ESC system had Ukraine in the ten i posted (fisrt post, page one) even if i did not have a single penny on it!!

Onto to 2017,

Well done all winners and the OLBG ESC team as a whole.

Donal Eurovision
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby Donal Eurovision » Sun May 15, 2016 10:10 am

[quote= Post Posted: 07 May 2016 12:46 "Donal Eurovision"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgrQrsG ... e=youtu.be

Congratulations Ukraine ESC Winner 2016[/quote]

It really was that simple in the end. Sergey had absolutely zero chance of a good jury score for the simple reason the song was absolutely useless, a fact that was well camouflaged with smoke and mirrors. In truth the 'all fur coat - no knickers' approach fully deserved to be punished by the jurors who saw through the circus.

I had my suspicions about the Russian price on Betfair from the very start (and stated here more than once) and I believe the ridiculous drift on The Ukraine's price after semi final was orchestrated by the same source. It simply made no sense that a sublime performance would drop from 5.0 to 13.0 within seconds of Jamala leaving the stage. At this time Russia's odds shortened to 1.6 !!! Seriously!... lower than Loreen, come on who didn't smell a rat?

Even experienced commentators gave up after the drift and decided Dami Im was most likely to take Sergey down and indeed she did but opportunity to buy Ukraine at 15.0 all day Saturday was nothing short of astonishing considering Jamala won the Press Centre Poll (the only one that actually matters). I posted that poll result here and hope that some took encouragement and took the opportunity to avail of the very generous gifts being presented by foolish layers.

I couldn't actually believe what I was doing taking these bets, if felt like stealing but thats the game we play.

Congratulations to Kicken, The One Time, Mark Dowd, CJParmiter, Tom Ato who joined with me in giving our 6 points to the Ukraine on the OLBG Poll.

I hope your faith was justly rewarded while the market ceased to think logically, eyes firmly fixed on its false favourite.

Sergey, I love you.

meldettori
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby meldettori » Sun May 15, 2016 12:06 pm

I don't think they need to reduce countries, they need to put up a better show, bring back the 80's and 90's and prior type of proper introductions of a song.

Splitting blocks would also help, like World Cup Groups/Europe Groups in football: Have Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland in one group, and only 1 comes out qualifying for the final. But that sole country shouldn't again receive votes from the other 3 countries that did not qualify. Same with Romania and Moldova in some kind of group, Greece and Cyprus, etc.

But it doesn't end there with the voting. If one chooses their favourite, how can the right song be chosen as the winner, it just pleases no one, because their own favourite didn't win. "Make sure you vote so your favourite can win"- the worst possible line/lie in television, goes for the XFactor alike, for Pop Idol, Survivor, etc.

As well, I think, just like 2 years ago, the winner was known all along, because of the agenda, either current events or one that's leading up to one. The winner was just hidden from the odds compilers, but it was so obvious that one couldn't think... could that win :? No, surely not! Could it? Well, guess what, it has.

This voting/announcement was like the Miss Universe controversy: "And the winner of the Eurovision contest is Australia!... ughh I'm sorry, terribly sorry, it wasn't Australia, it's Ukraine!... :D

PS, I think if Australia won, one couldn't have envisioned Australia hosting it... how many would have traveled to there, it would have been a television dilemma for next year too, hours difference. I wonder if Aussies would win, how would that come about.

meldettori
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby meldettori » Sun May 15, 2016 12:11 pm

Oh yes, on another note about the song/composition/choreography for Russia... I had a feeling it sounded as if someone from Greece produced it, and indeed it was. He's even famous in Eurovision: Dimitris Kontopoulus, think Sakis, Paparizou, Vissi, etc.

paulat
Listed Class
Tips

Postby paulat » Sun May 15, 2016 6:10 pm

I
PS, I think if Australia won, one couldn't have envisioned Australia hosting it... how many would have traveled to there, it would have been a television dilemma for next year too, hours difference. I wonder if Aussies would win, how would that come about.

Australia came to an agreement with the EBU that if they won that they would co-host next year's contest in Europe. NDR in Germany had the rights with the BBC in England as back up in case of difficulties.

meldettori
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby meldettori » Sun May 15, 2016 7:34 pm

I

Australia came to an agreement with the EBU that if they won that they would co-host next year's contest in Europe. NDR in Germany had the rights with the BBC in England as back up in case of difficulties.
oh ok, got it :win: cheers

Gorinci
Handicapper
Tips

Postby Gorinci » Mon May 16, 2016 10:15 am

I am really sorry for this song contest that it becames more and more politic; not so much interested in it because each year get the confimation that the most important are political factors than the songs and the way they are interpreted