The Road to Cheltenham 2018

Brownie3
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Re: The Road to Cheltenham 2018

Postby Brownie3 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:32 am

Barcardys was an odd run for a Mullins Chaser for the simple reason he didnt really jump any of them well at all, he seemed ill prepared.

I'd say if he's going to jump that bad, that slow, then the 4 miler will be the race come March.

I can always forgive a horse 1 bad run, but they'll need to be tons of improvement getting from A to B!

jackh1092
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby jackh1092 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:48 am

Barcardys was an odd run for a Mullins Chaser for the simple reason he didnt really jump any of them well at all, he seemed ill prepared.

I'd say if he's going to jump that bad, that slow, then the 4 miler will be the race come March.

I can always forgive a horse 1 bad run, but they'll need to be tons of improvement getting from A to B!
It was a chase debut, it's also important to note he started off his hurdles life far from perfect.

Hopefully the improvement will come as a horse of his quality shouldn't be near the 4miler!

I'd say if he continues to jump badly, it's back to hurdles rather than stretching him out!
Love horse racing
Loving OLBG only joined 12/1/15
Twitter @jackh1092

Brownie3
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Brownie3 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:39 am

Outstanding 3 days, many a clue on offer, although the ground conditions at Cheltenham clearly played into some horses hands and hindered others.

Friday - I thought Finians Oscar battled well, but that jumping is an issue, he's no Arkle horse for me at this stage. On The Blind Side ran well, he looks exciting, and 3 miles is his barrow I'd say. Cantlow maybe too old for the X Country now....think we can draw a line under him.

Saturday - Apples Shakira.......wow, I'm on at 25's, and I'm happy at present!. Monalee stamped himself as a Novice Chaser to follow, looks a big old fashioned type to me, real RSA contender. Lets Dance/Ruby took a tumble...we know the rest.

Sunday - The Machine is back, couldn't be taking the 7/4 Ante Post however, terrible price. Presenting Percy, burst bubble. Tombstone and Josies Orders, disappointing runs for me. Thought Fox Norton ran really well, Elgin could be a County Hurdle horse, thought Jenkins battled well from been stone last in the Greatwood, he hated the ground. Really impressed with Slate House, he need further.

I must have missed many......fill in the gaps please :-)

Wobber24
Listed Class
Tips

Postby Wobber24 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:16 pm

Have to agree about monalee backed it last year in pertemps always gonna b a better chaser think death duty will run in four miler unless it comes up heavy ground which is rare at start of week faugheen not for me if your not on at fancy prices no point going in now

PompeyJim
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby PompeyJim » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:00 am

Great summary Brownie3 of the meeting, definitely plenty to take out of it and food for thought. Shame the ground played a part in some of the field sizes Sunday in the end and first thoughts for me on Sunday was how poor the three fancied Nicky Henderson horses ran. You touched on the ground as regards Jenkins and perhaps it was the same with the other two also as I felt River Wylde was never travelling or jumping in the novice chase and the same for Dame de Compagnie who was being niggled at down the back and beat a long way out.

I wasn't convinced with Finian's Oscar's jumping either, he may well be better with a stronger run race but I feel that will also put his jumping under close scrutiny. He undoubtedly has a huge engine which got him out of trouble after the Nicholls horse went past him jumping the second last but he was very novicey early on I thought jumping big and giving them plenty of air which will find him out in the championship races.

Totally agree Wobber24 as regards Faugheen, great to see him back on track but certainly wouldn't be getting involved at that sort of price now. We're four months away and we know that's a hell of a long time in the life of a thoroughbred, couldn't fault his performance but I think we'd have a clearer idea if and when he clashes with some of the Champion hurdle principals.

I thought Nicky Henderson's Apples Shakira was the most taking performance of the three days, considering Gumball had looked potentially top notch after destroying his rivals in it's first two starts although it's jumping wasn't great in either of those wins.
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant

Brownie3
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Brownie3 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:05 am

Have to agree about monalee backed it last year in pertemps always gonna b a better chaser think death duty will run in four miler unless it comes up heavy ground which is rare at start of week faugheen not for me if your not on at fancy prices no point going in now
He wont be going to the 4 miler, 110%!

jackh1092
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby jackh1092 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:34 am

Outstanding 3 days, many a clue on offer, although the ground conditions at Cheltenham clearly played into some horses hands and hindered others.

Friday - I thought Finians Oscar battled well, but that jumping is an issue, he's no Arkle horse for me at this stage. On The Blind Side ran well, he looks exciting, and 3 miles is his barrow I'd say. Cantlow maybe too old for the X Country now....think we can draw a line under him.

Saturday - Apples Shakira.......wow, I'm on at 25's, and I'm happy at present!. Monalee stamped himself as a Novice Chaser to follow, looks a big old fashioned type to me, real RSA contender. Lets Dance/Ruby took a tumble...we know the rest.

Sunday - The Machine is back, couldn't be taking the 7/4 Ante Post however, terrible price. Presenting Percy, burst bubble. Tombstone and Josies Orders, disappointing runs for me. Thought Fox Norton ran really well, Elgin could be a County Hurdle horse, thought Jenkins battled well from been stone last in the Greatwood, he hated the ground. Really impressed with Slate House, he need further.

I must have missed many......fill in the gaps please :-)
Finians agreed is no 2miler, he should be in the JLT...

Monalee is some tool, i was all over him last year for the 3 mile novice hurdle (names slipped my mind :lol: ) He jumped great and handles heavy well enough which is a massive positive. Hopefully he stays right.

Apple's Shakira looked a bit of a tool, but the race did fall apart somewhat, and i would say there are many a JP triumph horse to come out yet....though we said that all year about DDS :lol:

Auvergnat my idea of the X Country winner but wont be betting at this stage...

Presenting Percy would be given another chance by me, but i wouldn't be backing him for G1s he'll be interesting if tried in a handicap at the fez, but then again he won't go missed!

Tombstone has more metal in him than bone!

Fox Norton looks to me a real challenger for the Ryanair....though i guess we should wait until Mullins declares who he runs there haha.

Jenkins as you say battled well, the ground will make some of the form of 3 days very questionable, so he's worth watching...

Slate House was pretty good considering it was a flat race....Better Getalong was interesting.

Gelding Bumper, Woulduadamandeveit eyecatching....also the winner could be v good.

Hobbs could also have a nice one in the mares Pineapple Rush i think.

I am sure i've missed some...
Love horse racing
Twitter @jackh1092

Brownie3
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Brownie3 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:42 pm

Samcro......wow!

Enough said :shock:

Brownie3
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Brownie3 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:18 am

Shall i create threads for every single Cheltenham race guys? like in previous years, or leave us to discuss under this thread?

Thoughts...

jackh1092
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby jackh1092 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:44 pm

Shall i create threads for every single Cheltenham race guys? like in previous years, or leave us to discuss under this thread?

Thoughts...
Not sure its needed just yet? Maybe over Christmas?

I do remember them getting good amounts of comments....just wondering is it a bit early?
Love horse racing
Twitter @jackh1092

Brownie3
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Brownie3 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:24 pm

I did it in October last year.....but the forum seems to have so much less traffic these days

jaydubs
Stallion
Tips

Postby jaydubs » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:13 pm

Comeback run today but where does that leave Thistlecrack?