Sports Personality Of The Year

ids81o
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby ids81o » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:20 pm

The Olympics and euros next year ids,think the bbc show both of them comps :
BBC doesn\'t show the euros in its entirety as its shared with ITV, they have also lost the rights to show all the olympics (not sure if it starts with brazil).

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:56 pm

One that might very make the shortlist of twelve (it almost certainly will be twelve unless it is an absolutely barren year for British sporting achievement) but definitely not win it barring actually winning a Grand Slam now is Johanna Konta. She is into 33/1 ATB.

uls2000
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby uls2000 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:22 am

Some current odds for SPOTY 2016 getting my attention:

10/1 Katerina Johnson Thompson
20/1 Jamie Vardy
40/1 Adam Peaty
50/1 Max Whitlock
100/1 James Guy

The two swimmers Peaty and Guy are the ones that appeal. Does Vardy have the profile to get half a million plus votes? Heptathlon gold for Johnson Thompson would make her a pretty strong favourite, but that event is a competitive field and very subjective to injuries. If Whitlock beats Uchimura to the all around title, which is still a long shot but very possible, I would call that as probably the biggest British sporting achievement of the year, but I don't think the general voting public would quite get the magnitude of it

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:56 pm

What's people's views on Victoria Pembleton being in with a shout?

Especially if she rides a winner next week. Is she due to continue riding after Cheltenham?

stereoman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby stereoman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:33 pm

Don't think so...if she somehow rides a winner then I'd think she'd bow out gracefully citing a 'lifetime ambition achieved' or some such rhetoric. She's an 'amateur' but Betfair are paying her to the tune of £200k for a year. No idea how long this 'year' lasts.

https://betting.Betfair.com/horse-racing/pendleton
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2 ... are_btn_tw

Four years ago, I never really thought Bradley Wiggins had a chance for some silly reason. The gold medal was the icing on the cake that was being the first Briton to win the Tour de France...Chris Froome can't get an look in after winning it twice since!

I keep on saying it and I get proved wrong every year I've said it but I thought the BBC being who they were, would push for a female winner. If Jessica Ennis-Hill wins back-to-back gold medals in the heptathlon then there's a compelling narrative but it doesn't guarantee a win.

If Katarina Johnson-Thompson wins instead, the narrative is slightly less compelling.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:39 am

Two words...Sprinter Sacre!