Tennis Players to Watch in 2017 - Who is Your Choice?

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Tennis Players to Watch in 2017 - Who is Your Choice?

Postby undertherobe » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:11 pm

With the 2016 season on both the main ATP and WTA tours now behind us it's time to start turning our attention towards 2017.

Last December, i wrote a blog focusing on three players to watch in the men's game (http://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=410209) and I'll be doing something similar again next month.

To help fellow members, and to hopefully ignite some discussion during the short offseason, I though it'd be worth opening up this thread for everyone to have their say on who they think should be watched in 2017.

Whether it's someone currently outside the top 100 ready to make that all important leap inside which guarantees entry into the Grand Slams or 2017's Lucas Pouille who jumped from 78 at the end of 2015 to 15 at the end of 2016, we want to know your players that we should be keeping an eye on.

GeorgeTheBettor
Listed Class
Tips

Re: Players to Watch in 2017

Postby GeorgeTheBettor » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:00 pm

Well, we'll start the year with Te Australia Open Melbourne, don't think there's anything that could stop me watching it on Jan 16-29. :wink:

Diesel20
Group 3 Class
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Diesel20 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:58 pm

Good topic :win: :win:

I would definitely say CiCi Bellis - she is only 17 years old and she made great progress in 2016. She won Honolulu yesterday (in straight sets against Zhang) and now won three tournaments in a row. Two of them were ITF tournaments, but this is nonetheless impressive in my opinion. She has a great potential and talent and could be future top10 player in my opinion.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:26 pm

Good topic :win: :win:

I would definitely say CiCi Bellis - she is only 17 years old and she made great progress in 2016. She won Honolulu yesterday (in straight sets against Zhang) and now won three tournaments in a row. Two of them were ITF tournaments, but this is nonetheless impressive in my opinion. She has a great potential and talent and could be future top10 player in my opinion.
it's hard to believe that she's just 17 as she seems to have been around forever, bursting onto the scene at the 2014 US Open, beating 12th seed Cibulkova in the 1st round.

jonathon11
2yo
Tips

Re: Tennis Players to Watch in 2017 - Who is Your Choice?

Postby jonathon11 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:39 pm

I like Andy Murry. He is about only 29 years old and she made great progress in 2017. In 2012, he won a gold medal at the London Olympics . In 2016, he won both his second Wimbledon title and second Olympic gold medal....

zorrobet1
Listed Class
Tips

Postby zorrobet1 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:16 pm

In each of the last 3 years, Borna Coric :<a href=/school/lesson15.php>NAP</a>: had success over Rodger Federer, Andy Murray and Rafael Nadal, all on hard court surfaces. The Croatian will be 20 years old by the time the 2017 season starts and it is going to be a very important year.

gila1103
2yo
Tips

Postby gila1103 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:31 pm

I really like Raonic. I think last season he learned a lot and this year will step up to the plate.
What is more interesting to me is the Challenger level.
I have been watching Challenger tennis for a couple of years now and i do like a few talented players who will play on th highest level soon i think.
Names like, Donaldson, McDonald, Mmoh, Struff, Kravchuck are players i really like to watch in 2017. Especially players from the US are playing well in America, a thing to keep an eye on as a tennis punter.

Good luck in 2017!

rustie
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby rustie » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:49 am

Having just seen 16 year old Australian Destanee Aiava (WR 388) post these results in Brisbane Qualifying...

QR1: Aiava def Crawford (113) 6-0 6-4
QR2: Aiava def MJ Martinez Sanchez 6-2 6-0
FQR: Aiava def Whitthoeft (88) 6-1 6-1

Then I'd have to say her. She's got a wildcard for Melbourne so we'll see where she's at there but that's some start to the year.

On the men's side:

Felix Auger Aliassime (613) - He's only 16 and rose to fame by winning some challenger matches in 2015. He didn't really make the breakthrough in those events in 2016 but he did cap off the year winning the US Open (juniors) and in terms of physique, I think he has the platform to perform what it takes to really make some in-roads next year. I fully expect him to break the top 200 and wouldn't be surprised to see him closer to 100.

Duckhee Lee (149) - Lee's ranking is kind of inflated through playing Asian challengers but I think the 18 year old will be making some waves into the ATP world tour next year and although his ranking might not improve that much because of the increased quality of opposition he'll face, I think we'll be impressed by him. He is actually deaf so to get to where he is already is quite an achievement.

Diego Schwartzman (52) & John Millman (84) - I really admire Schwartzman and for a man of his height to win a maiden title last year and be ranked where he is says a lot about his attitude and at 24 years old, I think he can make the next step in 2017. Millman played well in a lot of matches against top opponents last year and I think he has what it takes to be well above that ranking. I think both of these could be top 32 at some point next year.

Pablo Carreno Busta (30) - I remember him cleaning up the challenger tour a few years ago and he struggled on surfaces off the clay then but on the main tour last year he seemed to be adjusting really well to hard courts and won a couple of hard court main tour events. I don't know how well he will do in slams but I think he has the consistency to be top 20 and possibly the top 15.

Lucas Pouille (15) - I know you've mentioned him the opening post and he did really well last year but I think he will be one of the players to watch yet again. Obviously Murray and Djokovic make it difficult to do anything special in the slams but I think he has a very effective and entertaining game and I think we'll see him cause damage throughout the year. I wouldn't be surprised if he enters the top 10, maybe top 8.

I don't see any new slam winners next season but I do expect a resurgence from Nadal in 2017 and I think he'll make the final of at least one slam.

undertherobe
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby undertherobe » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:02 am

I'm not entirely convinced by Nadal myself. I think he'll have a good clay court season but can't see him doing much (i.e consistently reaching semi-finals & finals) on the other surfaces. He's lost that aura of invincibility that he once had when a lot of his opponents would freeze against him

rustie
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby rustie » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:35 pm

I'm not entirely convinced by Nadal myself. I think he'll have a good clay court season but can't see him doing much (i.e consistently reaching semi-finals & finals) on the other surfaces. He's lost that aura of invincibility that he once had when a lot of his opponents would freeze against him
I wouldn't strongly disagree with any of that UTR.

I'm not a Nadal fan (at all) and I think it's hilarious the way the likes of Andrew Castle would still have him as a contender for Wimbledon probably even this year but I think there were some positive signs throughout last year on the court even if some results may not have been there.

I think adding Carlos Moya (who was vital to Raonic's development last year) to his team is going to be a big help and yeah, I think we'll see him get better.

Time will tell!

titans choice
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby titans choice » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:44 pm

Good start to the year for Jozef Kovalik with a big win over Marin Cilic in Chennai it's his first ever win against a player ranked in the top 10.

TheHawkz
Listed Class
Tips

Postby TheHawkz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:17 pm

Elena Svitolina had a transition year in 2016, Justine Henin must have made a difference as her game improved alot since she consulted. The main reason i pick her is because i feel she is under the radar by the bookies even though she is ranked 14 (will higher on Monday as shes in the Semis in Brisbane). She owns Kerber in recent H2H as well as wins over Serena, Muguruza in 2016. Shes has dropped from 100/1 to 50/1 after todays win over Kerber to win the Aus Open but I feel she is a player who will consistantly reach the last 8 of Premier & Slam events. I hope the bookies continue to offer nice odds. Good Luck all in 2017!