2012 Grand National

jagie
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby jagie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:22 pm

Thanks, Budgie. I appreciate I may have come across as the cat amongst the pigeons in this thread. As an animal lover I thought I'd make my initial post, but I understand there's much more involved in all this than I'm qualified to comment on. I appreciate your replies, if not those from some of the others whose crass comments I have not found construcive at all.

Clearo611
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Clearo611 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:26 pm

Jagie
Maybe I went overboard with the suggestion that you were clamouring for it to be banned - apologies.
I do however stand by my original point regarding those that gamble on these events. The money staked on this event is hundreds of millions worldwide.... Money which contributes to the glamour of the event, appeal for sponsors owners and trainers. Everyone buys into this (literally) knowing what it may bring.

jagie
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby jagie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:33 pm

Clearo - apologies accepted. As Hemingway intimated in his description of bull-fighting, the beast is in the crowd.

budgie27
At Stud
Tips

Postby budgie27 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:35 pm

At the end of the day the National is just another race and I as an animal over also would not be sad to see it go as a race but it is such a huge revenue generator for the industry that it will be very hard to let it go. It's a huge window into horse racing and that is why like last year (when no offence to a very dedicated jockey) when a jockey was banned for pretty much thrashing a horse no matter what others might think or say and with the bad press we are getting this year that the National has to be made as safe as possible. A lot has been done to improve it (a race on this year's evidence that should be stopped is the Cross Country race at Cheltenham where three horses died) but surely there can be more to be stop the fatalities. Generally horse racing has done well in the last two years and the BHAs efforts to reduce whip over use were all about the National last year (rightly so in my opinion as my wife likes flat racing bit will never come to a NH meeting with me and is my relative barometer). Last year created issues and so has this year - they need to sort out the National for the good of racing.

budgie27
At Stud
Tips

Postby budgie27 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:37 pm

yeah Hemingway - he was pretty keen on bull fighting though! Having lived in Madrid for many years and writing about it more than once
Last edited by budgie27 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fluffnut
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby fluffnut » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:37 pm

Don't really like getting involved in debates but just been reading a few comments regarding the fatalities in the national today and my take on it is that Syncronised (imo)shouldn't have even been running in it to be honest. AccordingToPete is a different story as accidents do happen but i cannot believe a gold cup winner (current) was risked in such a highly dangerous race. Some horse as we know are only run in this race and do nothing for the rest of the year. Cannot get my head round it, the reason no horse has won both in same season for 70 odd years is because its bloody hard and bloody dangerous but also because gold cup winners are i think too classy for the national and too valuable to connections.

Bitter sweet day regardless as it was a great race and great day just a shame about the 2 that didn't come back, they won't be the last but then that is the sport we love. It's people that know nothing about racing that call for bans etc.

I don't hear calls for motor sport to be banned everytime a driver / rider tragically dies but its these same people that put animals before humans which in itself is not wrong but where would that get us....i'll tell ya...planet of the apes.

Regards
Fluffnut

budgie27
At Stud
Tips

Postby budgie27 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:46 pm

lol POA comment fluff - yeah shame that Synch was risked in the race I said I would lay him to place as he got away with his jumping at chelts but was always going to find these fences tougher and I thin even AP intimated this - shame for the horse and JJO will be feeling terrible after risking the horse given what happened to him with a GC winner when he was a jockey - he will be feeling so low and some thoughts should go out to connections

munchen
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby munchen » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:49 pm

My 5 cent thought on synchronised and i just don't know why the connection sent him to race after he had run loose.This is a gold cup winner and he should be treated more precious than running him after what he did before the start.That might or might not have a effect on his dead but still if the connection had so much love for him then he should not have run the race.
They wanted glory and look what happened to a very good horse now and i know JP has done so much for racing but still why was the risk when even before the race the odds was against them to win the national.Then he ran loose and ain't that a sign to not race him,The poor animal need to run 4 miles after running loose and just think of it.
Racing people do love their horses but they love glories and accolades more, that is why they take risk with the horses welfare because the horse can't speak back to you.

Scaifey
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby Scaifey » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:51 pm

I will apologise to Jagie - it is very rare for me to make a sarcastic comment, however, I think you got the brunt of my frustration of people moaning about the grand national. :oops:
Slow and steady wins the race!

jagie
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby jagie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:59 pm

Scaifey - apologies accepted. Although I admit I'm very ignorant about all this I think I made a valid point, as the post above by Munchen seems to validate.

munchen
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby munchen » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:00 pm

When the 2013 national comes by,then this death's won't be remembered much since it will be some other horse who will die in the national but that is part and parcel of racing but at least people don't hunt for glory when everything points to a disaster like what happened to synchronised (That is my hope)

Good nite..........

bridbaldy
Handicapper
Tips

grand national

Postby bridbaldy » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:03 pm

Thankyou Budgie for putting the point far better than I could. As a lover of National Hunt racing, im devastated at the loss of two horses, one of which was the gold cup winner. I feel for the connections of both. As a follower im now worrying for the future of, not only the Grand National but the future of national hunt racing. The animal rights lobby is getting more and more vocal and the last thing needed are the headlines that are sure to follow this race. I, as like millions of other racing [and horse] lovers need eloquent people like you to say how we all feel.