My personal OLBG-driven charity initiative!

botev1921
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

My personal OLBG-driven charity initiative!

Postby botev1921 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:07 am

In recent weeks I have returned permanently to my home town in Bulgaria and have been spending a lot of time with the junior teams at my local football club, which has unfortunately dropped to third division in a matter of three years with two relegations. The name I use here on OLBG is actually the name of my football club, which I have been supporting for over 15 years now and most of those years have been spent in the lower leagues of Bulgarian football.

Our football club is your typical Eastern European sad story of once great, state-financed club, which went to hell when badly executed "democracy" hit the once blooming industrial town and the local chemical factory has been shut. In just over 20 years, the town had lost almost 1/3 of its population due to unemployment and lack of credible leadership. Most people who have spent years in the factory either left or had to seek new qualification in order to find work. Currently close to half of the population still living here is close to or already retired and as a result the city is now known as "the poorest city in the poorest region of the European Union". The average salary is app. 180 pounds a month and the pensions are as low as 80 pounds a month. The only joy left to most of the people who for one reason or another stayed behind is football and imagine that - football in the low leagues facing amateur teams from local villages.

While this season the team actually shows some signs of going in the right direction and is currently top of the table with 11 wins and only 1 loss, all the finances available, provided solely by the local city council are going exclusively towards supporting the first team, paying salaries to the senior players, etc. That pretty much leaves the five junior teams in the "academy", if you can call it that way, totally left behind, with the club basically providing the old senior team balls for the kids to play with, the 5-6 year old football kits from the senior players to play their official games with and basically nothing much else.

A few days ago I have been talking to many of those kids, who are still very pure and all that is on their mind is playing football. They shared with me how disappointing it is that they have to go to training sessions with whatever clothing they have at home while even some of the amateur academies they play against arrive in shiny new kits, sponsored by local businessmen or occasionally a parent or two. Some of our kids arrive in Chelsea sweatshirts, others train with Arsenal replica tops and Real Madrid bottoms and the balls they have at their disposal are dropping by the hour as they have been used for years.

All that brings me to my OLBG-driven initiative. After several years around here I have topped the OLBG prize money table and have become rather popular around the web with my blogs, which I was lucky enough to be invited to do by Nigel a couple of years ago having never thought I have nearly as much capacity to write about sports in such professional and heavily supported community. Those who follow me closely know that I have been spending the prize money accumulated here on expanding my football badge collection but now I have decided to 'pay it forward' so to speak and start using the opportunity OLBG is providing to help those kids in my home club academy. I have calculated that the money needed for new balls, new kits and training-wear for each of the five teams in the academy is app. 650 pounds per team. I will go team by team and my first target is raising the first 650 pounds for the U12 team, who are in biggest need as the older are at least given some identical looking discounted Sportsdirect shirts to train with. Hopefully I can use my knowledge of sports ranging from footy to boxing and basically create an OLBG-sponsored junior team back home!

I will keep you updated on how things go in this thread and hopefully by spring I will have the U12s set. Just so you get a better impression of what I am on about, here are some cute pictures...it's almost as if you are watching the top academies of Arsenal, Real Madrid and Liverpool train together ;)

Grobler
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby Grobler » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:12 pm

Took me a while to actually find the club you are referring to... :oops:
There are a few "Botevs" knocking about....but I reckon its "Botev Vratsa " !
Anyway....good luck with all this....I will be following your progress with interest !
C'mon you Irons......

botev1921
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby botev1921 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:18 pm

Took me a while to actually find the club you are referring to... :oops:
There are a few "Botevs" knocking about....but I reckon its "Botev Vratsa " !
Anyway....good luck with all this....I will be following your progress with interest !
Damn, I was so into explaining what I am planning to do that I forgot to mention the name of the club. It is BOTEV VRATSA indeed. ;) Hopefully soon the kids at the academy will play with OLBG-sponsored shirts :win:

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:07 pm

Good luck Alex, will be following your tipping, Elite status will help if you can hit it.

:win:

botev1921
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby botev1921 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:20 pm

Good luck Alex, will be following your tipping, Elite status will help if you can hit it.

I seem to be on my way to Elite and I can only hope that doing something like that for kids in need won't pressure me into losing my tipping touch ;)

botev1921
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby botev1921 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:57 pm

I seem to have achieved the first objective almost completely in a matter of a month. That comes to show OLBG indeed is doing something amazing not only in the world of betting, but as a social phenomenon!

botev1921
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby botev1921 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:45 pm

Some good news about the initiative. The funds, kindly donated by OLBG through me sparked a campaign around the town and now more people will join in. Hopefully we will manage to raise enough for the entire academy by January! :hope:

botev1921
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby botev1921 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:54 pm

I might have gone completely cold last month but this was mainly due to my campaign taking a different shape with me having to do active campaigning on foot so to speak. Yesterday we had a great fund-raising football event where football fans from the town played against the kids we are trying to buy new equipment for. Might sound puny but we managed to raise almost 500 pounds out of that alone as my goal has now changed to raising enough for the entire academy at once as opposed to going team by team. Apart from me being tackled and taken down by a 13-year old, our team of campaigners and supporters lost 4:2 to the 13-year olds and 11:3 to the 17 year olds.
Remember, this whole thing was started by me and inspired by OLBG in the first place!
Here are some photos of the event. ;)

botev1921
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby botev1921 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:25 pm

Today we had our Christmas football tournament part of my charity initiative and the kids really enjoyed the OLBG goodies! ;)

botev1921
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby botev1921 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:16 am

What started in October with some OLBG inspiration has just finished. Here are the end results from my local campaign. I secured new sports equipment, including official match-day kits and training attire for 120 children at our academy!

Last edited by botev1921 on Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Savcri
Listed Class
Tips

Postby Savcri » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:11 am

Your mission is great for your region and these wonderfull children.

Grobler
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby Grobler » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:12 pm

"kits for 120 kids" ? Wow....well done mate...hats off to you...and keep the info coming !
C'mon you Irons......