Use of claimers

Crofty11
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Use of claimers

Postby Crofty11 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:16 am

I like to have look at claimers to see how they are being used. the things i look at are,

- Claimer on a debutante - So first run, that can be very first run on flat or over jumps, or moving from the flat to jumps. My theory is that it is best to have an experienced Jock on board to give the horse the best possible introduction, if a claimer is up does the trainer think the horse has a decent chance? I look for family relationships in case the horse has been purchased specifically to give the jockey rides and of course trainers family.

Claimer on a horse that is always or very rarely ridden by a claimer, why has the trainer turned to a claimer.

Claimer being used by a trainer that rarely uses claimers, again why.

As the claims are getting ridden out who are riding for and is that a change?

I know a couple people who refuse to use claimers when they have high claims as then chances of mistakes are much greater and that its not worth the risk.

Anyone thoughts welcome

nors
Legend
Tips

Re: Use of claimers

Postby nors » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:38 pm

I do the same crofty, always taking note when a claiming jock is booked, another angle is to look when a top jock previously rode the horse and today a claimer is on board, and also when a claimer had ridden the horse LTO and now it is a top jockey on board.

My best bet today is Apple Rock - ridden by a claimer - it may not win but will surely make the frame in the 2.40 with Luca Morgan on board.

These are other horses with claimers o board who may run well (IMO)

2.05 Grey Diamond
3.15 Stolen Silver
3.35 Navajo Pass
OLBG Community Manager.

Crofty11
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Crofty11 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:09 pm

Thanks fro the reply Nors- Will Teasle did an interesting reply on the daily thread, point and shoot horses on the flat, worth look IMO

meoldmate
Legend
Tips

Postby meoldmate » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:33 pm

Good angle to figure with, normally look at this with the view of taking weight off, not family connection, which to be honest, never thought of.

The race I wrote up on the discussion page concerning the 1.45 Ludlow TREASURE DILLON has Isobel Williams in the plate and she is claiming five pounds
Stable jockey or normally ridden by Adam Wedge has gone to Taunton for several rides, possibly he cannot do ten stone or he feels a winner can be achieve here than at Ludlow or Evan Williams wants him there and happy to have Isobel on board his Ludlow runner which is his only runner here.
Isobel has ridden this horse the last twice and been placed and won, possibly keeping faith possibly.
Not sure what the family angle is.
The horse is actually out of the handicap but with her claim she is in on four pounds with bottom weight, trainer and owner must think this five pound allowance could be working the oracle for another good run.

Interesting thing about claimers.
OLBG Moderator

Will Teasle
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby Will Teasle » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:00 pm

A few thoughts about claiming riders previously mentioned in the daily thread.
British horse race handicapping is based on weight carried so it is reasonable to assume that a horse has more chance of winning if the weight carried is reduced. To save time searching through numerous races, I have tried to narrow down selections to certain types of races.

Ability, strength and judgement of pace are just three factors which may affect how a claiming jockey performs and these factors can be improved by experience. So I have narrowed down my studies to races where the above factors may not be so important - races where the horse is doing nearly all the work.
I call these events 'point and go' races. The theory is that if a horse is racing flat out, at or near maximum speed throughout, then it's rider may have to do little more than point it in a straight line. For that to happen, of course, the race needs to take place on a straight track.
Races over 5 and 6 furlongs nearly always guarantee a fast pace. Races over 7 and 8 furlongs may also be run flat out, particularly in a big field. Personally I find the sprints to be more predictable.
I rule out any races run on bends (horses can be unlucky) and undulations which some horses are unsuited to and they can become unbalanced.

The horse itself has to be taken into account. Hold up horses can find trouble even on a straight track as can horses which are habitually slowly away. Horses which have recently led or raced prominently are preferred. If these horses have been going close with a non-claiming jockey then a reduction in weight carried can be the difference between finishing within two or three lengths or winning.

I hope these thoughts are helpful and wish everyone the best of luck.