Is the writing on the wall for OLBG....???

DannyCraig
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Re: Is the writing on the wall for OLBG....???

Postby DannyCraig » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:11 pm

Not that anyone was suggesting my"deleted" posts included swearing etc,etc,i thought i best put it on record that it certainly did not.

I had highlighted before a race that this particular top jumps trainer had been campaigning his horse over the wrong trips/ground all season,and now his horse has been dropped for the first time in the handicap,he finally gets its optimum conditition's today.

When the afore mentioned beast romped home (having been heavily backed into 5/2), i simply posted well done Mr ******,plot landed, and it was that post which earned the "potential libel" email, and the thread deleted.

I was annoyed by this as i didn't see that as being disrespectful to anyone,indeed if anything i was complimenting the trainer on a shrewd piece of placement,besides does anyone seriously believe that Mr ***** would be taking me or anyone else to court for saying that! :lol:

We all have a limited time to give,and having given that time to the site, realization dawns it is better spent elsewhere if your posts/opinions are just going to get deleted for trivial reasons.So yes i agree with Rob that Over officious moderators could well have had an affect on people leaving/no longer posting on site.

However it's gone now so we move on and learn from the experience......
As a complete neutral who is going on the scenario from your post above, I can see why it was deleted. Imagine if Mr xxxxx came to see of the post and was an upstanding member of the racing fraternity. It's not worth the hassle all for the sake of a cheap laugh on the forum. You could highlight the reasons why you think its overpriced, but by using the phrase "PLOT LANDED" - automatically it sounds as if the trainer was up to no good.

If you're able to spot those "plots", and the only thing preventing you from posting more is that it was deleted, then I urge you to come back and share with us more of those circumstances when you spot there's value in backing a potential "handicap improver" ;) the fact you're knowledgable enough to realise when this is happening, just further highlights why having your thoughts on the day's racing would be useful in helping the forum get back to its former glory!

revformon
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby revformon » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:16 am

I must admit this is the first time i have logged on since june, even though there have been times i have felt like posting on various threads, i find that i am logged out and then have to go through my email which is linked to my phone which never seems to be on hand to be able to post, which sounds easy enough but in real life with so many other things to do, the micro second that my brain realizes i am not logged in my fingers are already moving the mouse cursor to another website with thoughts of, i'll do it later which never seems to happen.

I used to love popping on here every night and going through the many pages of discussion and while i agree there is no place for swearing, boasting etc and that is what makes the olbg forum what it is (was) there was a period when it was over moderated no question, posters were getting mod edits for copy and pasting posts from previous pages which are vital when reading through a few pages, there was one long time poster that got a mod edit for doing such a thing and i remember thinking if it would put him off posting again, the reason given was it made the pages untidy but what made the pages look more untidy and unprofessional was mod edits on every post which at one point was happening and while a moderator may well be doing it with the best intentions people are sensitive beings and say where an unfair mod edit was issued and resulted in someone no longer posting then you can bet that multiple more people reading would be put off becoming first time posters, anyway that's my moan over and i will try my best to get more involved in future, keep up the good work olbgers

Systemight
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Systemight » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi David Craig,

regardless of whether or not you agree/disagree with my postings being deleted,the point i was trying to highlight was the over officious monitoring of the site can have a detrimental affect.As i said previously i have learned from this and moved on.

As regarding spotting plots?,well i wished it was always that easy,but it does not mean we should not be watching.

With the prize money for winning a horse race in the U.K. so low compared to other countries it is not surprising that a little bit of skullduggery goes on from time to time.

If you owned a race horse and had to pay out £1000 each month to keep it in training I think you would be tempted to bend the rules to try and make the finances more acceptable.

There were several low grade races recently where a race with prize money had been divided into two divisions which meant that the prize money of £2,500 was split between the two divisions so that the lucky owner of the winner received just £1,250 for winning the race. This win was just enough to cover the owners cost for five weeks!

There are some legal methods one can use to achieve a better financial return and the average punter can be misled by what he considers the form of a horse.

I was watching a TV interview on At The Races last week where a trainer was being asked about the chances of his horse.

His honest answer was we are running it to get a handicap mark. In other words we don’t want it to win so don’t back it.

Before a horse is given its first handicap rating it has to run in three races so that the handicapper can work out how good it is.

So what do trainers do? They run the horse in races that are not ideal for that horse, they are either too short or too long for the talents of the horse. Or it may be a firm ground horse so they run it on soft going or vice versa. They will try anything that will mislead the handicapper into giving the horse a too low handicap rating.

This is perfectly legal and punters should always look closely at horses running in a handicap for the first time. Check to see if this race is completely different from the races that got it its handicap rating.

If this is the case and the horse is being backed you may have found a good bet!
..because there is always another day...

Systemight
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Systemight » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:08 pm

oops sorry i meant Danny Craig,apologies for the slip of the old typing finger.
..because there is always another day...

Crofty11
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby Crofty11 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:21 am

Hi David Craig,

regardless of whether or not you agree/disagree with my postings being deleted,the point i was trying to highlight was the over officious monitoring of the site can have a detrimental affect.As i said previously i have learned from this and moved on.

As regarding spotting plots?,well i wished it was always that easy,but it does not mean we should not be watching.

With the prize money for winning a horse race in the U.K. so low compared to other countries it is not surprising that a little bit of skullduggery goes on from time to time.

If you owned a race horse and had to pay out £1000 each month to keep it in training I think you would be tempted to bend the rules to try and make the finances more acceptable.

There were several low grade races recently where a race with prize money had been divided into two divisions which meant that the prize money of £2,500 was split between the two divisions so that the lucky owner of the winner received just £1,250 for winning the race. This win was just enough to cover the owners cost for five weeks!

There are some legal methods one can use to achieve a better financial return and the average punter can be misled by what he considers the form of a horse.

I was watching a TV interview on At The Races last week where a trainer was being asked about the chances of his horse.

His honest answer was we are running it to get a handicap mark. In other words we don’t want it to win so don’t back it.

Before a horse is given its first handicap rating it has to run in three races so that the handicapper can work out how good it is.

So what do trainers do? They run the horse in races that are not ideal for that horse, they are either too short or too long for the talents of the horse. Or it may be a firm ground horse so they run it on soft going or vice versa. They will try anything that will mislead the handicapper into giving the horse a too low handicap rating.

This is perfectly legal and punters should always look closely at horses running in a handicap for the first time. Check to see if this race is completely different from the races that got it its handicap rating.

If this is the case and the horse is being backed you may have found a good bet!
A certain trainer got knighted and one of his well known strategies was to run a middle distance horse in races under or at a mile, and then lo and behold over 1.5 miles it bolts in, look at Send up at Brighton on the 11th of September , a classic example, 2 runs a two year old, its first race as a three year old at a mile. Then Brighton

BTW i did post on the cost of owning a racehorse some time ago, it is nearer 2 thousand month for a flat horse..

man o bong
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby man o bong » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:39 am

Thanks for the trainer tactics insight etc, and whilst relevant to the idiosyncrasies of the thread, it is rather taking things slightly off topic, so just a gentle push back in the right direction
When you're told you can't do something, do it and prove them wrong

Robmull
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Robmull » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:10 pm

It would be interesting to read the views of members who only access OLBG for the tipping competitions, but I suspect that many of them are oblivious to the existence of this thread and have probably never ventured on to the forum.

I wonder how many of them regularly back their tipping competition selections, or are they just playing the competitions in an attempt to secure a few quid in a completely risk free environment?

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:22 pm

I 'play' the competitions, because they're there to be played. This is a competition site, same as any other competition site. If prizes are on offer, people will enter, and some people make a profession out of it (I don't).

In the past (and 'past' only because I couldn't be bothered since March or so) I will try to win the prizes (all of the horse racing ones). If I need three more chasers to overtake the leader who is on +33, then on the last day of the month I'll back three at 40/1 and make a case for them. That kind of thing.

In the Naps competition, on the last day (sometimes even before then), if the leader is on +33 and I'm on +3, I'm not going to NAP a horse who's 5/1, I'm going to NAP a horse who's 40/1!

In the Naps competition if I've been in contention, I have waited to the very last race, to see if I can overhaul the leader. I have learned my lesson by being 'stung' that sometimes the leader (who is also 'playing' the competitions) will also wait to the last race to see what the contenders are doing! I once made my selection a little earlier than I wanted because a horse I really fancied looked good value. Unfortunately the horse drifted and went off at a higher price SP and guess who was on it? Yep, the competition leader! The horse lost so it made no difference, but I was a little peeved (with a wry smile on my face) that the competition leader looked like he'd waited to see what the opposition were doing before playing and I was his only opposition at that stage, that meant me!

On the last day of the month, if I've only made 5 selections, I may have a go at 10+ selections just to get me in the competitions.

None of the above are really what OLBG is after. I mean does anybody really think a 50/1 chance is the NAP of the day. Maybe in a big field at Cheltenham, but not in a 2yo seven runner maiden at Southwell, where the first three in the betting are well clear of the rest! Maybe, but really?

Trouble is, if OLBG moves into the realms of questioning whether the NAP is 'valid' enough to be a NAP (or even a selection) then it may as well say we're not allowed to back anything over 20/1.

This is a competition site first and foremost. An information site next (with tips being part of that information), then a discussion site third. This is why not many people contribute to discussions, but many enter the competitions and inadvertently provide information in doing so!

meoldmate
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby meoldmate » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:49 pm

With Betfred closing all on course betting shops and sponsorship, will this be the trend to come with many more bookies calling it a day.

I know Betfred has little to do with OLBG but with BetVictor pulling out from here along with SKYBET, things in the betting industry may not be ringing true.

Corals and Ladbrokes have combined but how long will these two old giants of the betting world stay as two names, with such things happening, hopefully OLBG can stay a head of things.

26 bookmakers rely on advertising with OLBG and only four give free bets away.

bet365 are another that pulled out of the free bet status, I am amazed to only read four from such a big amount who have there name on this site.Then again, they will be paying a tidy sum for advertising which would be paying for cash competitions and the hard working back room staff along with sponsorship of the mares racing.

With Betfred pulling out of sponsoring races of great importance, can OLBG step in and take over, here are the list of races up for grabs possibly.

Warwick Betfred Classic Chase
Sandown Betfred TV Scilly Isles Novices' Chase
Haydock Betfred Grand National Trial
Uttoxeter Betfred Midlands Grand National
York Betfred Dante Stakes
Goodwood Betfred Mile
Haydock Betfred Rose of Lancaster Stakes
Newbury Betfred Hungerford Stakes
Newbury Betfred Geoffrey Freer Stakes
York Betfred Ebor
York Betfred Melrose Handicap
Newmarket Betfred Cambridgeshire
Newmarket Betfred Cesarewitch
Doncaster Betfred November Handicap
Huntingdon Betfred Peterborough Chase

More outings for members who live around these courses if OLBG take over.

Robmull
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Robmull » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Thanks for your response Shrews, although with you having posted 1662 comments on the discussion forum, I wouldn't have classed you as a tipping competition only member.

Must admit that I have also used some tricks and even played a few very sharp practices to try to win prizes when I played the competitions in the past.

The main problem with such tactics is that there may be some viewers that are following tipsters that will end up losing their hard earned money by backing these tactical tips in real life.

There does appear to be a dichotomy between the win at all cost approach of the 'professional' tipster competition players (before anyone else says it, historically I would have counted myself amongst this group, albeit I always aimed to make consistent profits rather as opposed to death or glory and also participated in the forum discussions and wrote blogs) approach and the OLBG betting community/working together ethos.

I still believe that there is too much onus on the competitions and there should be more focus towards members sharing opinions/ideas which will assist others improve their knowledge and thus truly beat the bookies.

buchanski
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby buchanski » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:01 pm

There is no shame in admitting to a bit of gamesmanship when it comes to the competitions. I realise that it may not be conducive to a site that stands for ‘online betting guide’ and that people may be persuaded by a tipster comments that have no real substance. However, this is a site that aims to reign in new members with the promise of profitable daily four folds that have no records and the last evidence of a winner was 2016!

If the site really did want to become an online betting guide then it would have more articles about bank management, psychology of losing runs, keeping records, profitable angles or trialing new ideas/edges. Perhaps it does and the bloggers are doing a fine job but the first thing I see when I log on to the home page is a load of guff. Why is the most recent blog not pinned to the home page?

Out of interest how popular is the betting school? It looks to me like a lot of work has went into it.

horage
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby horage » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:36 pm

well the posts on this thread show most of the members like the site and all its competitions and perhaps we should all concentrate our efforts

away from the competitions and instead on making a profitable thread with bets you find in the betting shops; a page where you could see

tipsters Lucky 15 and 31 placepot perms; forecast perms for the days racing and football and combining horse and football teams in accas i ike

5 teams perming 5 x 4 folds and 5 fold on the footy .

I EXPECT THE MEMBERS COULD GET ONE OR TWO OF THOSE accas UP EACH WEEK THAT MIGHT GENERATE some positive publicity for the site and it

would be back to the core ethos of the site lets all work together and beat the bookies . :?