January One-A-Day: Race 1 (1st - 15th Jan 2017)

bluemal
Stallion
Tips

Re: January One-A-Day: Race 1 (1st - 15th Jan 2017)

Postby bluemal » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:45 pm

Catterrick 14:50

Itstimeforapint.....from Lucinda Russell yard the 9yo has won three chases from 3m to 4m on ground varying from good to soft to heavy a lot of fancied runners ran at Kelso 4m½f GS on 4th December last year when Harry The Viking won and Carrigdhoun finished 2nd with Itstimeforapint in 3rd ,

Itstimeforapint ran again later in December at Kelso 3m 2f GS when 2nd over the shorter distance beaten 1.3/4 lengths by Total Assets he's had two weeks to prepare for race and should be much fitter as that was only the 3rd race this season and he's hit with 4lb penalty to 118 , Jockey Derek Fox has been a regular on horse and should be in the mix for a place

danielbird193
Listed Class
Tips

Postby danielbird193 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:47 pm

14.50 Catterick - GONALSTON CLOUD

Gonalston Cloud is a decent staying chaser whose record at Catterick reads 2/2. He comes here today on the back of a smart win at Market Rasen on Boxing Day, and although he's up 5lb for that success, he is a likely improver if he responds well to this marathon trip. The good-to-soft going should suit, particularly if there's some rain overnight as both previous wins here were on soft ground. Although this won't be an easy race to win, he's fancied to run well and offers fair value at 12/1 early show.

UnderdogsLover
Stallion
Tips

Postby UnderdogsLover » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:05 pm

Taking a chance, and gone for this one.. :cool:
Harry The Viking

Place 4 times in his last 6 runs, placed in his last 2 runs.
Carrying below 11-0, claimer taken off -7.
Going likes won twice on gd, also like gd st to.
Placed 18 times in his 33 runs.
Won at Kel early Dec, on gd st, in 32f, getting on well
with claimer jockey placed on him twice.
Was good 3rd 9 at Per on gd going early Apr in 30f on gd going,
so handles any going, with 7lbs taken off from his claimer nice middle
weight, running well last 2 runs, sure to run well again, and get placed. :hope:

ians6290
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby ians6290 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:41 am

Itstimeforapint

I've been reading Robmull's and Micko70's Trend based blogs since the start of the year (if you haven't had a look at them then I insist you do they get a lot of useful information down in them) and I was inclined to try doing a similar sort of thing but on races which weren't as high in profile but still had a decent prize to go for. By chance the North Yorkshire National was one which I picked so I'm going to have to go with the pick my trends picked for me whether I like it or not!

Itstimeforapint got full marks and is the best price out of the three horses which I shortlisted. Another reason I am going with Itstimeforapint is because winners of this race usually carry 11 stone or less (the highest weight carried by a winner in the last ten years was 11-4). The pick ran well in the Scottish Borders National last year finishing roughly 5 lengths behind Harry The Viking and just a neck behind Carrigdhoun. He will have to reverse that form and while it won't be an easy task I think these National races are the sort of race where form-lines are reversed and leave you scratching your head and second guessing all of your decisions! He also ran well last time out, finishing second behind Total Assets, and was only headed towards the finish. The ground will suit as he has winning and placed form on good to soft ground. The ground won't be a problem if it gets more testing as he has winning form on softer ground too. Lucinda Russell doesn't have a lot of runners here and D R Fox doesn't have a lot of rides here either so they won't have sent the horse here for nothing. Plus, its only been 14 days since the last run so the horse will be fit and ready to go for today.

steenie1
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby steenie1 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:59 am

14.50 Catterick
SCOTSWELL
Down at the bottom of the handicap, the horse is the only course and distance winner in the field. It won this race in 2015, but didn't take part in it last year---maybe through fitness/injury issues. Its next race was the Eider at Newcastle where it pulled up and wasn't seen again for almost a year. The going was good to soft when it won this race, and it did so off a mark of 117. It's on 116 today with jockey Thomas Dowson taking off 6 pounds. 2016 saw it doing OK. It won at Kelso over 26f and also made the frame last time out in third place---also at Kelso---off a mark of 117.

Delboy980
Stallion
Tips

Postby Delboy980 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:18 am

2.50 CATTERICK

DOING FINE

Trainer Neil Mulholland ...> Jockey Noel Fehily

Formerly trained by Rebecca Curtis this horse has had 10 races over the chases winning once and finished in the frame twice. He has since switched stables, and is with the Neil Mulholland team where he has had 2 races finishing 2nd on both occasions . He was only beaten a length at Sedgefield in Oct in a class 3 handicap hurdle over 3m 3f on good going getting headed on the run-in. He was tried in a class 2 handicap chase 40 days ago at Sandown in a class 2 handicap chase over 3m 5f on good going, ridden by today's jockey Noel Fehily when made fav, where he was held up , making headway 6 fences from home, staying on well at the finish just unable to catch the winner beaten a neck. He is a class 3 handicap over 3m 5f again on good going, this horse has run well in both races under new trainer, he was unlucky last time out over this distance in a higher class of race, has a very good chance in this race today.

Kermitek1
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby Kermitek1 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:46 am

2.50 Catterick Federici

A very competitive looking race and chances can be given to a fair few in the line-up. Doing Fine looks the one to beat but with things tight at the top I'm going to look at something with tastier odds. Harry The Viking is of interest but at the age of 12 I want to side with something that has younger legs. Which leaves me with 2 that interest me in the consistent Jac The Legend and Ulster National winner Federici. The latters bigger odds wins me over. As the winner of the Ulster National we know stamina is not a concern and at the age of just 8 he looks to have a bright future and is open to improvement. Don McCain has his team in fine form and Will Kennedy is at the top of his game at present. Federici ran very well last time out at Cheltenham in a hot race considering the trip would have been a lot shorter than he would have liked. He has plenty of chase experience which will hold him in good stead in this big field. Ground will suit and he looks set to run well at a decent price today.

Vivian
At Stud
Tips

Postby Vivian » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:56 am

STRAIDNAHANNA

He is a distance winner. He won on his last visit to this course, although that was over a shorter distance. He is raised in the weight but considerably lowered in the handicap. His last three races have been in class 1 & 2 fields, so the drop back to class 3 is a positive. The ground looks OK. He jumps the bigger fences well enough. The ground looks fine. He has a chance at a reasonable price.

Dicky
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Dicky » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:07 am

2.50 Catterick - Scotswell

Won this race in 2015 then only had one more run that year before coming back last January off a higher mark. Steadily come down the ratings and has bottom
weight today under his usual claimer. Didn't run too badly last time out in a class 4 over 3m 2f at Kelso finishing 3rd of 9. Seems to act on most goings but
wouldn't want it heavy. Cannot rule out any of the field so hopefully the forecast bad weather doesn't play a part in what looks a competitive race.

buchanski
Listed Class
Tips

Postby buchanski » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:09 am

2:50 Southwell

Strainahana

"Sue Smith has a good record in chase contests at Catterick and Strainahana hasn’t been running to standard on winter reappearances but is still an 8yo who could get better yet. Has won twice over the course and seems to be versatile when it comes to ground, the extra trip could bring about more improvement off a competitive mark to land a decent prize

HiggsBosunBlues1
Handicapper
Tips

Postby HiggsBosunBlues1 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:33 pm

Catterick 14.50
Gonalston Cloud put in a battling performance to win the competitive Lincoln National Chase on Boxing Day. Carrying top weight of 11st12lb that day, the grey gelding was always prominent. Headed three times, he fought back gamely each time under Adam Wedge to win by one and a half lengths from Amiral Collonges (10st10lb)
Set to carry 11st8lb in this race, he is again ridden by Adam Wedge. He has raced at Catterick twice before and won on both starts.

petethebet
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby petethebet » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:59 pm

Scotswell
Won this race two years ago over track and trip and races here off a one pound lower handicap mark. That win was on good to soft ground so it will not be inconvenienced if the forecasted wet weather arrives early. Has several wins on good and evev good to firm going so better ground is preferable. The last eight renewals went to runnersracing off a handicap mark of one hundred and twenty five or fewer and it fits that band so alls well for the horse