Scottish Football 2016/17 Season

Bingboy
Listed Class
Tips

Postby Bingboy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:06 am

Hi Lust For Leith

All good stuff there but as a Buddie I\'m obviously hoping that you are underestimating St Mirren and I think there are some grounds for suggesting you have.

The last 2 seasons have been awful for us but out results improved significantly when Alec Rae became manager midway through last season.

He has revamped the squad over the summer and this us very much his own team now.

You mention Clarkson and Sutton up front but he has also signed Lawrence Shankland and Ryan Hardie on loan, both of whom scored plenty of goals in this league last season. I\'d argue that we have the most striking options in the Championship now, whilst conceding that other teams first picks are stronger.

At the back he has brought in Ben Gordon and Gary MacKenzie which gives us 4 centre backs to choose from now. Jason Naismith is quality in this league at right back but he does need to grt back to his best having missed most of last season due to a bad injury. I am concerned about the left back position because Gary Irvine looks more comfortable on the right. I\'d loke to see young Jordan Stewart given a chance in that position.

It\'s the midfield area, and particularly central midfield which may well be our downfall. We need to resist Hibs interest in Stevie Mallan (you got John McGinn, let us keep wee Stevie) but even assuming Mallan stays, I\'m far from convinced about Kyle Hutton ,Rocco Quinn is currently injured and there are no obvious alternatives. We should have kept Goodwin for one more season imo.

We are well enough covered in wide areas with young Lewis Morgan, who is a name to look out for this season, Tom Walsh and Calum Gallacher.

Rae\'s style of play is very direct so he may be planning on missing out the midfiekd in most games but it\'s strange for a support that was watching McGinn, McLean and McGowan in the same midfield not so long ago.

Expectations are high in Paisley for the first time in a while. Sone are even predicting a title challenge. I wouldnt go that far but do expect us to finish above Raith who may well have overperformed last season and have lost their manager.

Anything worse than 4th will be regarded as unacceptable and cost Rae his job. With a fair wind
I can see us being 3rd but imo 4th is more likely.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:07 pm

Hi Lust For Leith

All good stuff there but as a Buddie I\'m obviously hoping that you are underestimating St Mirren and I think there are some grounds for suggesting you have.

The last 2 seasons have been awful for us but out results improved significantly when Alec Rae became manager midway through last season.

He has revamped the squad over the summer and this us very much his own team now.

You mention Clarkson and Sutton up front but he has also signed Lawrence Shankland and Ryan Hardie on loan, both of whom scored plenty of goals in this league last season. I\'d argue that we have the most striking options in the Championship now, whilst conceding that other teams first picks are stronger.

At the back he has brought in Ben Gordon and Gary MacKenzie which gives us 4 centre backs to choose from now. Jason Naismith is quality in this league at right back but he does need to grt back to his best having missed most of last season due to a bad injury. I am concerned about the left back position because Gary Irvine looks more comfortable on the right. I\'d loke to see young Jordan Stewart given a chance in that position.

It\'s the midfield area, and particularly central midfield which may well be our downfall. We need to resist Hibs interest in Stevie Mallan (you got John McGinn, let us keep wee Stevie) but even assuming Mallan stays, I\'m far from convinced about Kyle Hutton ,Rocco Quinn is currently injured and there are no obvious alternatives. We should have kept Goodwin for one more season imo.

We are well enough covered in wide areas with young Lewis Morgan, who is a name to look out for this season, Tom Walsh and Calum Gallacher.

Rae\'s style of play is very direct so he may be planning on missing out the midfiekd in most games but it\'s strange for a support that was watching McGinn, McLean and McGowan in the same midfield not so long ago.

Expectations are high in Paisley for the first time in a while. Sone are even predicting a title challenge. I wouldnt go that far but do expect us to finish above Raith who may well have overperformed last season and have lost their manager.

Anything worse than 4th will be regarded as unacceptable and cost Rae his job. With a fair wind
I can see us being 3rd but imo 4th is more likely.

Hi mate,

Cheers for your valid point of view.

St Mirren could well push on this season but I'm not fully convinced. If Clarkson and Sutton click then they'll have potentially the best strike pairing in the league.

They'll need to keep Mallin, I wonder if Hibs don't get him other clubs will go after him thinking he's the new McGinn?

I just think they'll need to vastly improve on last season. They just seemed a bit...flat?!

I just think that Hibs and Falkirk were ahead of St Mirren last season. Raith have got some decent players, Dundee United have a great boss and Dunfermline are coming into the league after a great campaign last season.

But maybe this will work in St Mirrens favour, especially with Rae at the helm. Everybody writes them off before the season starts at they take everyone by surprise.

Ps I won't tell you who I've got to win tomorrow in the St Mirren and Morton game..!

sportmaniac
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby sportmaniac » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:17 pm

Really impressed with our signings. Flood has been a class act in the league cup stages so far. Van der Velden is a clever player and has looked the part. Our Achilles heel will be defence. No centre defenders brought in. Donaldson and Durnan both will have a brain explosion at various points. Luckily we have a good four games to start things off with. 10 points minimum required in August.

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:28 pm

Really impressed with our signings. Flood has been a class act in the league cup stages so far. Van der Velden is a clever player and has looked the part. Our Achilles heel will be defence. No centre defenders brought in. Donaldson and Durnan both will have a brain explosion at various points. Luckily we have a good four games to start things off with. 10 points minimum required in August.
What's Murray been like so far?mbeen a fan of his since Arbroath and backed him to be top scorer in the Championship

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:57 am

Not a fan of the first game of the season but I like the look of Brechin beating Stenny at 10/11.

As mentioned previously I think Brechin will do well this season. They finished last season really strongly and this should be the ideal occasion to get their season off to a win.

Cannaetip
Listed Class
Tips

Rangers 1 Hamilton 1

Postby Cannaetip » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:56 pm

A sign it is not going to be easy for Rangers?

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Re: Rangers 1 Hamilton 1

Postby LustForLeith » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:45 pm

To be honest I think that there was a lot of hype around Rangers today and you'd be forgiven in thinking they were actually playing a game of football!

There should be a clearer indication within a coup,e of weeks I'd say. Let them play away from home for instance.

One thing that was evident last season is that their defence is a bit suspect. Hamilton scored a good goal today but I still think there's question marks over their back row.

Cannaetip
Listed Class
Tips

Rangers 1 Hamilton 1

Postby Cannaetip » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:07 pm

Cannaetip
Listed Class
Tips

Postby Cannaetip » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:09 pm

Fair comment we'll see in a few weeks

LustForLeith
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby LustForLeith » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:12 am

Hearts v Celtic today. Price too short o. Celtic winning and they have an impressive record against the Jam tarts.

Leighton Griffiths to score at any time appeals. He's 10/11 to do so and being a Hubs fan always gets peters from Hearts which could make him raise his game. Also takes penalties for Celtic.

Cannaetip
Listed Class
Tips

Postby Cannaetip » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:48 am

Both teams to score?

ahwizgonnae
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby ahwizgonnae » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:45 pm

As a tic supporter whenever you see a team with Armstrong of average ability/Forrest McGregor