Seattle Seahawks
80%

Total votes: 5
Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Who Wins The NFC West in 2017?

Postby Gman84 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:40 pm

A division I feel could just be at the very beginning of a changing of the guard.

Best prices:

Seattle Seahawks - 9/25 with bet365
Arizona Cardinals - 12/5 with bet365
Los Angeles Rams - 20/1 with bet365
San Francisco 49ers - 33/1 with bet365

Quick thoughts on each team.

1, The Seahawks have addressed their running game by adding Eddie Lacy and trying to improve their O-line and I still like Thomas Rawls a lot. They should also benefit from a 100% Russell Wilson after last year he was clear not quite fully fit at times with his ankles. He's a genuine MVP candidate. I do feel we might be coming close to the end of the "Legion Of Boom" but they might well go out with a bang. Great home form and still the team to beat in this division.

2, The Cards are relying on some aging vets too like QB Carson Palmer but it's how far the legs of David Johnson carry them. They've lost a few guys on D as well like Calais Campbell, Kevin Minter and DJ Swearinger. They strike me as the type of team that could end up being very inconsistent. Some weeks they'll kick butt, others they just lay an egg.

3, The Rams hit the reboot button with a (very) young, offensively coach and they've really made an effort to improve the talent around QB Jared Goff through free agency and the draft. The best addition might be Wade Phillips who just coaches the heck out of defenses.

4, The 49ers hit the reboot button with a young. offensively minded coach...er, I've used that line! A different approach with some roster clearing and some interesting additions. They'll be better but it's not hard to be but I think Brian Hoyer was a smart signing rather than reaching for a QB if they weren't convinced by the guys out there.

I do think one of the Rams or 49ers will exceed expectations this season. I genuinely really like how the Rams have added players but it could be too much too soon and can they gel? I think the Seahawks still win this but I do feel in some ways their powers are on the wane as are the Cardinals. I just think the Seahawks can push one big last effort out of many of their vets, i think the Cards are hoping they might get something out of some of their vets.

You can see the 5 and 10 year trends for this division here and the five players to watch from this division here.

Be interesting to hear the forums take on this division.

Jim Brown
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips
Location: Dallas, Texas. Go Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks, Stars, FC Dallas, and Burn!

Re: Who Wins The NFC West in 2017?

Postby Jim Brown » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:07 pm

When you look at this division it is very easy, and almost instinctive, to look straight at the Seattle Seahawks and the Arizona Cardinals. They've been the powerhouses of this division in recent years, and it might be so this year too. However, the 'underdog-seeker' in me LOVES this division and my eyes go straight to the Rams. There's not a whole lot of depth I can go into because in typical underdog-seeking fashion one has to look beyond what the bare facts and stats tell us. Form points firmly in one direction, but forward-thinking allows us to look at the 'what-if' factor.

The 49ers will improve this year, but have a lot to do on defense to be taken seriously, but in the Rams you have a team that has looked ahead with some impressive personnel changes, and this could be a force to be reckoned with in future years, but as to this year I actually think they may well surprise. One of the keys is their love of, and current record in, inter-divisional matches. If they play those to a par they have done in recent years they might well win the division on the back of those!

I love the 20/1 for the Rams and I'm all over it.
OLBG Moderator
100% OLBG!
Follow me on Twitter: @ebook_olbg
Read My Blogs on OLBG
Founder of the OLBG NFL Underdog Blog

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:00 pm

Interesting thoughts JB. There has to be some big priced divisional winners somewhere as the nature of the NFL is to throw up one or two surprise teams each year.

As I've already said, I do think the Rams have added talent to their roster but they could do with seeing Aaron Donald end his holdout. Goff has some significant weapons to use but how quickly does it come together. They might be a slow burner rather than a flashy turnaround, the type of team that starts the year 1-5 but finishes the last five 4-2 and offers hope going into 2018.

arniehi
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby arniehi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:52 am

The Seahawks still have the best defense in the NFL. I genuinely think Russell Wilson is one of the best QB's there, too. They always seem to do well with overlooked wideouts and their running game should be decent again with Lacy/Rawls. Can't see past them walking this division this year, although I think in a year or two they may struggle.

Jim Brown
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips
Location: Dallas, Texas. Go Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks, Stars, FC Dallas, and Burn!

Postby Jim Brown » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:52 pm

Often, when a change happens in a division it comes a little unexpectedly, usually because we're all so used to the divisions best teams being there in contention, so although we can see a team is trying to improve we don;t really look at them until the results start coming in. For the 20'1 available on the Rams that's a reasonable reward for the chances of that happening here. If you were to ask me the straight question, "Who's most likely to win?" I'd say the Seahawks, just (I agree with with what Arnie says), but of course in betting it's about seeing value, and that's why I'm all over the Rams at 20s.
OLBG Moderator
100% OLBG!
Follow me on Twitter: @ebook_olbg
Read My Blogs on OLBG
Founder of the OLBG NFL Underdog Blog