World Cup Third Place Play-off - Good Idea or Waste Of Time

TeddyT
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

World Cup Third Place Play-off - Good Idea or Waste Of Time

Postby TeddyT » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:10 pm

Who finished third at the last World Cup? Anyone remember?

I was wondering if anyone thinks the third place play-off is a good idea? I'm not sure I can see a justification for it really as, I assume, neither Belgium or England will field a full-strength team so whoever wins is surely a bit pointless?

I would imagine if any of the top players such as Hazard, Lukaku or Kane plays and gets injured their clubs would be furious?

I get the idea that it gives the squad players a chance to play in the event and it provides another game that presumably is easier to get tickets for but apart from that I would imagine both squads will be feeling pretty sick about not making the Final and would rather be home with their families.

Perhaps if you have backed Kane or Lukaku for the Golden Boot you think it is a great idea as it gives them another chance to increase their tally?

Does anyone know the official idea behind it? Or do any of our members think it is a good thing?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
OLBG Tipster Competition Manager

justas
Group 3 Class
Tips

Re: World Cup Third Place Play-off - Good Idea or Waste Of Time

Postby justas » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Total waste of time if i was in charge of a team involved i would of been on the plane why risk injury to a player who you have borrowed from another club maybe clubs should put clauses in the using of there players for national duty imagine if Kane played and broke a leg and was out for six months they done well but lost time for the airport stuff third place

PompeyJim
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby PompeyJim » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:02 pm

Nice to give some of the squad players a run out who didn't get much game time but apart from that I can't see why the Belgium and England players would want to play in this game when both sides have just missed out on probably the biggest game of their career's.

Interesting to see if Lukaku and Kane do feature, Harry looked very laboured in the second half and extra time in the semi. The golden boot is obviously the motivation for both players but that aside it must be hard otherwise in what really is a meaningless game.
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:25 pm

It should become a charity game, much like our own 'Community Shield' with the winning country taking 75% of the gate receipts and the loser 25%, to distribute to charities in their own countries.

I believe this would make the match more competitive.

After a great tournament, how great would it be to see Harry Kane handing over a cheque of a few million to Children In Need, Sports Relief etc

reddevilfan
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby reddevilfan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:24 am

Shrews, that is a brilliant idea that can make this game that much more meaningful! From an english or belgian perspective, the winner still does get a medal, so maybe that means something to the fans of these sides.
“Pressure? What pressure? Pressure is poor people in the world trying to feed their families. There is no pressure in football†- Mourinho

UnderdogsLover
Stallion
Tips

Postby UnderdogsLover » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:08 pm

Quite agree :win: :win: third place rubbish

1: most of us Englands have lost interest.
I was one of them, i dont what even colour they played in?
thats how much interest i lost etc..
As deep down they still gutted like we fans are...
3rd place is pointless should be scrapped....

justas
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby justas » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:23 pm

underdoglover its a good job football don,t have power over the London marathon running again for third and fourth it should be scrapped 1st and lost 2nd thats it

UnderdogsLover
Stallion
Tips

Postby UnderdogsLover » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Coughs --- justas We only talking bout football on here..
Did i mention any other sports!! NO i did not..

justas
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby justas » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Coughs --- justas We only talking bout football on here..
Did i mention any other sports!! NO i did not..

how many bouts in a boxing match

davidg3907
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby davidg3907 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:34 am

There are pros and cons as in any close call.

Players are already in the country.
Fans want to see players they may not otherwise see.
Players want to play for their country particularly on the biggest stage - they could have declined the invitation to be selected. Many of the 23 KNEW they would be unlikely to play other than due to another player being injured.

Clubs may get upset if players get injured at the World Cup and miss the first few weeks of the league season. What about players who get injured late in the league season in a match of little importance and are forced to miss the WHOLE of the World Cup?

There is a risk of injury at any time in sport but the 3rd place match is usually played in a good spirit without life-threatening challenges. A few rungs above a friendly in principle, but whether it should have any bearing on rankings is another matter.

It gives one team and set of players a lift after the disappointment of the semi-final defeat.

If I was an England (or any other country's) 'squad' player who travelled all that way but hadn't been selected to start or used as a sub, given the option of playing ANY competitive football at the finals or going home would be a very easy decision. I may never get another chance.

By coincidence, England played Belgium in the group stage and the 3rd place play-off. Arguably, the latter was considered more important than the non-event in the group - something confirmed by both managers fielding a stronger team than for the first meeting.
LAYING Taking it further
LAYING Delving deeper - NEW

FOOTBALL blogs under Blogs/Football
New RELEGATION diary in Blogs/systems