Fun & interesting news from Belgian weekend

OlbgDeleted295
Stallion
Tips

Fun & interesting news from Belgian weekend

Postby OlbgDeleted295 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:42 pm

A Belgian football club is protesting after a referee awarded their opponents a goal scored with a burst ball.

Walter Bassegio's 64th-minute strike burst the ball on impact but it still flew into the net, reports Het Laatste Nieuws.

Anderlecht equalised with the goal before going on to win their league game against La Louviere 2-1.

La Louviere claim the match should have been stopped when the ball burst and play resumed from where it happened.

But the referee claimed he did not notice the ball had burst until it was already in the back of the net.

The club has protested to the Belgian Football Association.

TBone
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby TBone » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:45 pm

Clutching at straws I'd say :) Looks like Belgium is trying to overtake Norway in the "crazy soccer news" department :lol:

OlbgDeleted295
Stallion
Tips

Postby OlbgDeleted295 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:01 pm

well... i'm sure a lot of forum members made money from that match so it was interesting to know how it happened.
But seriously, in all my life i have never kick a football so hard that it bursts! :shock:
I bet it was one of those Adidas Rotero balls... that's the most rubbish piece of kit that i've seen Adidas made for a long long time... why can't they make balls and boots like they used to? Anyone remember the 1986 Adidas official world cup ball (i think it was called "tango" or something)... and how about the classic copa mundial boot circa 1974, and the 6 studded "world cup" model... those were classics.. even the old puma "king" that maradona wore was very good (but of course!). You buy a "predator" boot nowadays or one of those lightweight nike zoom boots and they start to fall apart after a few months. :x

OlbgDeleted580
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby OlbgDeleted580 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:36 pm

Well, fact is, once these big companies cornered the boot market, they realised the best way to have repeat customers was to make the boots fall apart after a year or so, they just love selling new boots to the same people every year.