Betting tales of wonder and woe

The Market Man
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Betting tales of wonder and woe

Postby The Market Man » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:15 pm

I've just been reminded of the incredible power of the human mind.

I'm watching the golf and the commentator mentions the word ' prospect '. My brain suddenly sparks and i begin to recall an evening several years ago when, after making a few selections, i decided against a visit to my local bookmakers and wait for the following day ( a Saturday ).
Unfortunately all three horses won and the treble would have paid around 200-1.

The final horse was called Boundless Prospect and went in at 33-1. The date was Friday July 15th, 2005. Eleven years to the day. Quite incredible.

As a matter of fact, I had a very good Saturday, with several winners, and remember thinking how different it would have been had i been armed with the bookies money in my pockets. However, i tend to think i had such a good Saturday because of how focused i was after missing out on the treble. Had i backed those horses on the Friday night, i would have celebrated round the town and probably had a different mindset on the Saturday.

Anyone care to share any tales of personal folklore ?!

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:46 pm

Wonder
Best was when I had my first all winning Lucky 15 which paid nearly 300 times my original stake. I put it on in the morning, went to the match, stayed out to closing time, turned on the 'teletext' and there they were - 4 winners! I can't remember three of the horses but one of them was called 'Double M'.

Woe
The Lincoln won by Aunt Rita. I did the Trifecta and Exactas but as I was in a typical lunch-break rush I put down the draw numbers instead of the actual numbers and consequently lost about £500.

.....but the best of all
Watching the horse I had a part-share in 'Champagne Prince' win on his 2nd run as a 2yo. The money was down, but the winnings were nothing compared to the buzz of being in the winners enclosure. I don't think I stopped smiling for a week.

DAVIDADAN
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby DAVIDADAN » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:48 pm

Hi TMM. Moved this to general ramblings. :wink:

turflinetrading
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby turflinetrading » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:14 pm

This is about a night I was playing in a poker tournament......in Luton roughly 12 years ago.

There were a group of chaps on one of the roulette tables and they had built up four figures on one spin, they had placed chips on the four-corners, so they asked the management to leave it all on there, and the spin was made, and bingo it came up, they finished up with a six-figure pot, it was pandemonium, one chap was so over-come he could not speak.

My own personal win was on the card tables, ,Blackjack, I was waiting for a taxi, and there was an accident which meant it would take sometime to get through, so I went over to the tables to waste a bit of time, ended up on there for 3 to 4 hours winning a barrow load of money, never played 'Blackjack' again after that, when I say luck was off-the-scale that evening I mean mega scale, it was like talking to the cards.

man o bong
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby man o bong » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:52 pm

Gold Cup Day Cheltenham 2010 I think...

In the usual spot in the stand with the usual bunch

The big chap getting greyer and greyer by the race thinking he had done just about all of his dough

After the fourth race he hands round his jackpot entry slip, with four winners marked on a single line

The 5th one goes in, he goes a bit greyer

Waiting on a 14-16/1 shot in the last leg that rolls in too

We all turn and look at him. He shows zero emotion, nothing, nada

So we are thinking, he's keeping a pretty cool head, or indeed wondering what a Gold Cup day jackpot with several big priced winners is going to pay

He speaks quietly, explaining he didn't put it on, only doing the place pot with the same six selections and not having the quid on the jackpot as they never come in

We mutter amongst ourselves, thinking, nah, he just doesn't want everyone to know

Shortly later, the tannoy announced that the jackpot has not been won and will be carried over to the Saturday elsewhere

One in a lifetime opportunity missed for the sake of one pound

If i remember rightly, this story can be corroborated by Jaydubs, Davethetipster, YoYoLeo, Drogerson and probably others here
When you're told you can't do something, do it and prove them wrong

jaydubs
Stallion
Tips

Postby jaydubs » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:56 pm

Correct... never seen anything like it...

veedub
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby veedub » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:03 pm

I have a couple of memories to share having only just stumbled over this thread....

The first one is my first live poker tournament in this country ( I have since played a few overseas) at which I'm sure JWoody? who was/is a OLBG member was at along with my pal from work DT.
It was in an Essex seaside town and the first tournament above a snooker hall started around 2pm, I was very nervous having only ever played online before and sat down with 9 other strangers at my table of which there were 8 tables in total, 80 player live tournament was massive for me at the time.
Anyway long story short I made the final table in my first attempt and I remember ringing up my mum just before we entered the final stage I was buzzing, I even got introduced over the mic by a seasoned pro player and thought this is it I could do this for a living :lol:
Now the top 10 got paid so I was well happy but imagine I am now down to the final 4 and thinking I can win this but alas I remember I got AQ on the button and shoved it against the chip leader all-in, he turned a low pocket pair and hit a set on the turn and I was out...but wow what a feeling and over the two days I was well ahead.

Onto the woe side and this was on-line, I entered a low buy tournament on Party Poker around 2008 for a shot at 2 paid for seats at the WSP 2008, again long story short I went through probably around six tourneys to make the final one for one of two seats all expenses paid.
I am not a story teller and have a witness in my wife to say that after 6 hours or so of play I'm chip leader on the final table against 2 other players! and guess what...I bombed out in 3rd having pushed & pushed against these 2 with decent enough cards compared to my fellow players.
When the gambling gods have got it in for you you've no chance, and I was so close from a $5 start :(
#COYG

The Market Man
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Re:

Postby The Market Man » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:46 pm

Gold Cup Day Cheltenham 2010 I think...

In the usual spot in the stand with the usual bunch

The big chap getting greyer and greyer by the race thinking he had done just about all of his dough

After the fourth race he hands round his jackpot entry slip, with four winners marked on a single line

The 5th one goes in, he goes a bit greyer

Waiting on a 14-16/1 shot in the last leg that rolls in too

We all turn and look at him. He shows zero emotion, nothing, nada

So we are thinking, he's keeping a pretty cool head, or indeed wondering what a Gold Cup day jackpot with several big priced winners is going to pay

He speaks quietly, explaining he didn't put it on, only doing the place pot with the same six selections and not having the quid on the jackpot as they never come in

We mutter amongst ourselves, thinking, nah, he just doesn't want everyone to know

Shortly later, the tannoy announced that the jackpot has not been won and will be carried over to the Saturday elsewhere

One in a lifetime opportunity missed for the sake of one pound

If i remember rightly, this story can be corroborated by Jaydubs, Davethetipster, YoYoLeo, Drogerson and probably others here
Wasn't that the big jackpot which rolled over to the Midlands National at Uttoxeter ? Blimey...i think i would have been greyer than John Major.

Some of those Cheltenham placepots though are high - four figures if one or two favourites don't make the frame.

man o bong
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Re: Betting tales of wonder and woe

Postby man o bong » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:04 am

Wasn't that the big jackpot which rolled over to the Midlands National at Uttoxeter ? Blimey...i think i would have been greyer than John Major.

Some of those Cheltenham placepots though are high - four figures if one or two favourites don't make the frame.
Yup., if i remember rightly this was 200,000+

Long time ago now mind
When you're told you can't do something, do it and prove them wrong

Callingnumber6
Group 3 Class
Betting Blog Tips

Re: Betting tales of wonder and woe

Postby Callingnumber6 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:14 pm

Tale of Wonder. Having been a lifelong supporter of Chelsea FC (I know) and being too young to remember their historic 1970 FA Cup final win against Leeds, I promised myself that should they ever get to the FA Cup final again, no matter what the cost I was going to go. Fast forward to 1997 and a now 30 something was about to tick off a bucket list item. Remember these were the days before the Abramovich billions; it was entirely possible they would never make it again. Managed to get a ticket, cost £200. On the way to Wembley had a pint with the guy who got me the ticket. He suggested maybe we could have a bet in the Coral shop next door, what do you fancy? Not sure I said but that Di Matteo been knocking in goals for fun this season. He persuaded me to have 20 quid on at 12s.......after 42 seconds my team took the lead and more importantly I had a free ticket!!

Tale of Woe. Watched an above average 6yo hurdler improve about 2 stone from April 2001 to Dec 2001 on 'his' ground (good to soft)at Newbury. Thought 'I have just seen the Champion Hurdle winner'. Spent every spare fiver I had backing the horse up to the big day at Cheltenham. Totting up all my ante post bets I stood to collect just over 4 grand so I treated myself to a short break taking in the big race; after all it will be paid for on Tuesday around 330. Even more certain I would win when Istabraq appeared to be limping in the parade ring. 3 out, all the other jockeys are at it, McCoy quiet at the proverbial church mouse, a smile and thoughts of 'how far?' I had already decided to reinvest for the 2003 Champion when absolute disaster.......Valiramix came down on the flat......at that point all thoughts of money were gone, I just hoped the big grey was OK. I left the course in tears not because I had lost but because we had been robbed of a potential great champion.
History of course records Hors La Loi III as that years Champion Hurdler. Not for me. In addition history will record the 2003 Champion Hurdler as one Rooster Booster. Undoubtedly talented, had the big grey lived I am certain Rooster Booster would not have won that race. I am still haunted by the memory; taught me a valuable lesson. The worst that can happen in racing is definitely the worst that can happen. 12 March 2002. RIP Valiramix