What introduced you personally to sports betting?

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Re: What introduced you personally to sports betting?

Postby nors » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:13 pm

Any more recollections from members on how you got into sports betting?

justraymondo
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby justraymondo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:41 pm

My Dad use to send me to local bookies with slip and stand outside asking people "will you put this bet on for my Dad" and on a Saturday he would let me do a footie bet and that's were it all went down hill.

yantoe2
2yo
Tips

Postby yantoe2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:03 pm

I was around 11 years of age and on a visit to my paternal grand parents . My grandmother was a small stakes gambler on everything from horse racing to bingo and used to take myself and my brother with her when she put her Saturday bet with the local "bookies runner" . She explained , as best she could , what she was doing and let my brother and myself pick a horse each , which when done she would put a Tanner on . My first pick was a horse called Deadly Nightshade , which came in at 100-6 . I saw the horse out again the following week and she put the same Sixpence bet on . The horse won again at 100-8. I was hooked from then on and although those bets were my last for quite a while , I never forgot the thrill of the horse winning . My brother and myself are life long gamblers in almost everything, but I can honestly say that I have never been a problem gambler and still enjoy betting on various sporting events . My love of gambling has also seen me attending racing events regularly as well as football and rugby matches and the occasional golf tournament . All made more enjoyable by a small wager .

yantoe2
2yo
Tips

Postby yantoe2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:14 pm

I came to sports betting by a somewhat unusual route: I was writing systems to project election results, and after experiencing considerable success with this, and using it to win money on the politics markets, I thought that I might try something similar with football. Perhaps surprisingly, given that it should be a simpler matter, I found it harder to come up with worthwhile predictive systems for football than for elections. Football seemed to have a lot more unpredictability than politics, and the markets seemed more efficient. So then I lost money for about 18 months trying to crack various football markets, followed by 12 months of consistent profit now that I have refined the two main systems I use regularly.
I remember as an apprentice trying to work out systems to win on the horses . None of them worked in the long term . Glad you had more success.

keyko99
2yo
Tips

Postby keyko99 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:38 am

im in this field since 19 , i leave i come back time to time , got my attention while was child and from then till now im in this life
what can be said more

steveb65
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby steveb65 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:43 am

Through my dad, who in turn from his. My dad knew his stuff and became a racehorse owner with my uncle and they had a lot of fun. i used to always love watching horses and started backing them from my teens. After 23 years of hobby betting i decided to have a go as a means of solo income....and 9 years on as a pro i am still in love with the ' sport of kings ' .
Scratching a living on the great imponderable .... :hope:

pennystate
2yo
Tips

Postby pennystate » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:42 am

My dad is fond of betting in cockfighting. That's how I was introduced to the world of betting. But since, I was too young to bet before in cockfight, I started with boxing matches and NBA.

RemiFTW
2yo
Tips

Postby RemiFTW » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:02 pm

I remember being 14-16 and running to local bookies on Sundays and betting all my pocket-money on Italian football clubs. I will never forget the smell of the place hah.

pandabear123
Listed Class
Tips

Postby pandabear123 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:29 pm

the inspiration came from watching a lot of betting movies with my grandfather. That's why i said I wanted to try it .

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:39 pm

My grandad on my mum's side, would come up on his bike on a Saturday morning and ask my mum what she wanted on the ITV 7. She'd ask him what he was doing and he'd often reply a Patent, Yankee or Flag and these always seemed much more exciting than what they actually were!

I know he had bought me a little book of bets (I still have it somewhere) and can definitely remember my mum asking me to select some horses one Friday night. I think I did a Patent and one of the horse's named 'Regalian' won at 7/1. I was mega chuffed to get a return. From that moment, in about 1973/74, and that little book, I was hooked.

Plus Grand National day was always a big thing in our house. I wouldn't miss it for the world, it was like Cup Final day.

In my teens, I lost the bug a little, but one dinner hour I sat with my boss and he started putting lines under the C,D and form figures in The Sun's racecard's and would tot them up. It didn't take long before myself and various others started to do something similar and before I knew it, each lunch time, we'd get in the car and drive a mile to our local Hills and bang on a 10p Trixie each!

It just escalated from there. In 1988 I went to my first race meeting (Worcester), in 1990 I won the Ladbrokes Horses To Follow competition and in 1994 invested in a successful racehorse share!

Nowadays, the wonder has gone and I yearn for those old days when everything was new and exciting.

pandabear123
Listed Class
Tips

Postby pandabear123 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:23 pm

My grandad on my mum's side, would come up on his bike on a Saturday morning and ask my mum what she wanted on the ITV 7. She'd ask him what he was doing and he'd often reply a Patent, Yankee or Flag and these always seemed much more exciting than what they actually were!

I know he had bought me a little book of bets (I still have it somewhere) and can definitely remember my mum asking me to select some horses one Friday night. I think I did a Patent and one of the horse's named 'Regalian' won at 7/1. I was mega chuffed to get a return. From that moment, in about 1973/74, and that little book, I was hooked.

Plus Grand National day was always a big thing in our house. I wouldn't miss it for the world, it was like Cup Final day.

In my teens, I lost the bug a little, but one dinner hour I sat with my boss and he started putting lines under the C,D and form figures in The Sun's racecard's and would tot them up. It didn't take long before myself and various others started to do something similar and before I knew it, each lunch time, we'd get in the car and drive a mile to our local Hills and bang on a 10p Trixie each!

It just escalated from there. In 1988 I went to my first race meeting (Worcester), in 1990 I won the http://olbg.info/1/L40/D/words> target=_blank href=http://olbg.info/1/L40/D/words>Ladbrokes> Horses To Follow competition and in 1994 invested in a successful racehorse share!

Nowadays, the wonder has gone and I yearn for those old days when everything was new and exciting.
That's so inspiring, thank you for sharing it with us.