One A Day October Race 2 (16th to 31st)

ejanbow
Stallion
Tips

One A Day October Race 2 (16th to 31st)

Postby ejanbow » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:13 pm

ONE A DAY OCTOBER 2021 RACE 2 (1st to 15th)

Hello and welcome to the One A Day competition for October. Regular runners will have a good idea of how this works already but for maiden runners and for those with plenty of experience please read on as there are a couple of subtle changes this month.

How It Works

Nothing has changed in terms of how we run the race. They'll be two races each month. The first will run from the 1st day of the month to the 15th with the second running from the 16th of the month to the last day of the month. Each day a race will be nominated and you are asked to provide a selection for this race. You must also give reasons for your selection but please note the following as this is crucial:

Anyone who doesn't put in the effort and writes something like "I fancy X to win because he is white and they are faster", "I like his name", "my friend told me so" etc. etc. won't be considered nor will any copy + pasting from other sites. YOU MUST INCLUDE AT LEAST 4 SEPARATE POINTS ON WHY YOU FANCY THE HORSE.

You need to make this reasoning at least 30 words but feel free to be as detailed as you like.

Please also note the following information:
- Do not edit your post once made.
- If your selection is a non-runner you can select again but please do this in a separate post.
- You can post a backup selection in case your first selection is a non-runner and you don't believe you'll be able to update your selection in the case of a non-runner. However, if your first selection runs then that is the one that will be scored.
- Failing to post a selection will see you not scored for that race. You can PM myself or another member to post on your behalf but again, the selection must be posted before the race starts.
- On the last race day if the competition is tight those in contention can PM me their selections and I'll hold them until the race starts. If I'm involved then I'll ask for a neutral to step forward and hold the selections until the off. This is so copying a fellow runners selection to assure the win/place is avoided.
- If a day's nominated race is on a card that is abandoned we will have two races the following day. If this occurs on the last day of the race we'll run an extra race the following day whilst also starting a new competition.

Selecting Races - Back to one thread (for each race)

After discussions with regular runners in our races via PM it's clear that the thread a day isn't too popular and that you would all like some input in picking races so we'll revert back to one thread for picks and you can all have input in picking races. I've started the new thread (we'll do a thread for race 1 then a new thread for race 2 so it's easier for me to trace back for selections as I score up the races). I will usually pick the first race and the Saturday races but feel free to offer a race up if I seem to be taking my time.

I reserve the right to void a race if circumstances significantly change the dynamics of the race - ie, multiple late withdrawn horses significantly reducing the field (below 6 runners).

Hope that makes sense, any questions ask here or PM me.

Please note, when selecting races, please refrain from MAIDENS/NOVICE events including BEGINNER CHASES as these can be difficult in placing a reasoning to. Handicaps and higher class races (listed, graded or group) are preferred but please try to find a race with a competitive sized field.

Scoring

We score as in previous months:
1st = 30pts + 5x SP
2nd = 20pts + 3x SP
3rd = 10pts + 2x SP
4th = 4pts + 1 x SP
5th = 1pts + 1 x SP

To encourage people to look away from favourites as well there will be bonus points for the price of the horse as shown above. This means that if someone picks a 2/1 horse that wins they will get 40pts (30 for winning and then 5 times 2/1 is 10 -> 30+10=40) while if someone picks a 10/1 shot that comes second they will get 50pts (20+30=50).

Please note, scores will be rounded up to one decimal place from January's second race!

Dead heats - the points of the places are added together and divided by the number that dead heated. i.e. if 1st place is a dead heat then both 1st placed will get 25 pts (30+20pts) and x4 SP (5+3/2 = 4).

Results and leaderboard
I will update this thread with race results and they'll be contained in the post directly after this one and an updated leaderboard. I hope to do this every three days and daily towards the end of the race but please be patient as occasionally life will get in the way of me doing this promptly.

In the event of any ties for prizes, the tied runners will be split by their highest scoring selection for the month, regardless of actual finishing position (ie, a 1st place scoring 100 pts does not outrank a 2nd place scoring 120 pts).

Please also check your scores. Mistakes do happen, I am only human. I keep the scores on a Excel spreadsheet (which I can access from my home and work so it's easy for me to keep it updated). Any scoring queries please PM myself rather than posting in either this thread or one of the daily selection threads.

PRIZES

Those generous powers that be at OLBG are offering up cash prizes for the runners and riders:
1st place overall - £10
2nd place overall - £5

***Player with the highest combined score over both races in a month who has not already won a prize £5 ***

If you know anyone interested in taking part or you've been a long time viewer of the forum who hasn't been inclined - for whatever reasons - to post much before please come and have a go, it is great fun, costs nothing and you can win real cash!! Take a look through previous month races/threads to see

Well what an amazing start to the race with two three figure winning horses which didn't escape the attentions of four of our players. Steenie1 has taken the lead after she scored twice and is 7 points ahead of WillTeasel who also scored on two days who in turn is 12 points ahead of our newest member Rondetto and the final player in the 100's is Thefinalbroadcast. Nobody scored on all three days but in all fairness they were difficult races with big fields.

I have taken the lead after selecting another one of the 14/1 winners this month and the highest scoring horse today. Steenie1 has dropped to 2nd but only 10 points behind me. Well yesterday's race was a bit of a disaster with only five horses finishing but five still managed to score. Supermack44 was the only one who managed to score on all three days. Don't give up Delboy980 as we are having a good race at the top of the accumilative table that Bowhillbear is keeping and as has been proven a few times recently anybody can hit the winners at the end of the race.

Good luck all :win:

Well my stint at the top lasted all of a day after Steenie1 retook the lead and remains there after scoring twice in the three days. WillTeasel is in 2nd place after scoring on all three days along with Supermack44 in 3rd after he also scored on all three days. The only other to get a full house was Royalscot. Top scorer of the week was Royalscot when he got the 20/1 winner on the second day.

WillTeasel and Steenie1 have swapped positions with WillTeasel taking the lead but there is only 4.5 points behind them with Royalscot in 3rd another 24.5 points adrift but to be honest any of the top eight can win as there is only 64 points separating all eight and as you all know that number can be claimed in a decent win. Top scorer of the three days was Samm74 who got Enthused on the 2nd day giving her 90 points, we all missed the 104 points on the first day. Three players got the 66 point horse on the first day namely Royalscot, Dicky and Bowhillbear. The three day scorers were Dicky and Bowhillbear. Four days to go so don't forget about the bonus prize.

Steenie1 has nipped back in to the lead after scoring on both days but it is still too early to call as WillTeasel is only 7.33 points behind but Dicky is moving up on the outside after he also scored on both days and he is only 18 points adrift in 3rd place.

Steenie1 has increased her lead at the top after getting today's winner. Scratville has gone into 2nd place after he also got the winner. 2nd place is really too tight to call and Steenie1 not completely safe. If you want to send me your entry I will be happy to put it up for you.

Last edited by ejanbow on Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 10 times in total.

ejanbow
Stallion
Tips

Re: One A Day October Race 2 (16th to 31st)

Postby ejanbow » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:19 pm

2:00 ASCOT
Qipco British Champions Sprint Stakes (Group 1) (British Champions Series) Cl1 (3yo+) 6f ITV
20 runners

I know it is a Stakes race but plenty of form to go on and most in good form

supermack44
At Stud
Tips

Postby supermack44 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:48 pm

14:00 Ascot

Highfield Princess

In the last three years a big priced runner has won this race and hopes are high for John Quinn's inmate Highfield Princess to make it number four. She has showed more strong form in group races racing over seven furlongs. This is her first ever drop to a sprinting distance that might just see her in a better light after being upped to Group 1 on her first 6 furlong run. Jason Hart has the reins.
:cool:

Will Teasle
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Will Teasle » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:39 pm

Ascot 2.00
NANDO PARRADO
He has winning form in the book over today's course and distance, winning last season's Coventry Stakes.
Nando Parrado ran well in two Group 1 races in France in autumn last year, finishing second twice and apparently appreciating an easy surface (raced prominently both runs).
He showed his best form since then when returning from a break in August. Blinkered first time, he set a blistering pace in the Group 2 Hungerford Stakes over 7 furlongs at Newbury. He was still in the lead at 6 furlongs but then dropped out quickly.
I will have to ignore his latest run when he finished last in the Haydock Sprint Cup. He was hampered at the start which is not good for a front runner and then he appeared to be held up by Frankie Dettori so never got in a blow.
Adam Kirby, the only jockey to have won on Nando Parrado, and who rode him at Newbury, regains the ride. Cheekpieces are fitted for the first time which may help.
Written off in some quarters, this colt has plenty of speed and it is hoped he will be positioned prominently.

UnderdogsLover
Stallion
Tips

Postby UnderdogsLover » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:27 pm

Today going for Brando..

Gets distance.
Two places in last 6 runs.
Ignore last race small field.
Was 4th of 12 at Deauv in 6f on gd'
early Aug.
Placed here last year.
Got regular jockey on, nice mid draw.
Hopes rums well and gets placed. :)

jammat001
Stallion
Tips

Postby jammat001 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:33 pm

ASCOT 2.00 ROHAAN

This 3-y-o gelding has improved significantly since joining P D Evans from the George Scott stable winning seven races fro six furlings to seven furlongs from good to firm to heavy ground including twice over this course and distance so after beaten 2 lengths behind the E Lynam trained Romantic Proposal in the Group 1 Flying Five Stakes at Curragh so back over six furlongs he can show his blistering finishing pace from stall 15 with R L Moore booked to ride

rondetto
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby rondetto » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:37 pm

Art Power.
this horse loves it here at ascot, he seems to be improving.
i think draw could be crucial one way or other.
bit of rain would help as seems alittle better with some give.
it is by no means easy but he should take beating.

Dicky
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Dicky » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:04 pm

2.00A - Happy Romance
Distance winner who finished 4th of 11 last time out in a Group 1
(Losing 3rd in the final strides) on good to firm. Carries the same
8st 12lb weight today and is receiving a few lb’s off most of her
rivals. Is well up there on rating on 111 and has had a 42 day
break. Only a 3-Y-O and trainer R.Hannon has his horses in form.

bowhillbear
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby bowhillbear » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:54 pm

Well done winners, and thanks Jan as always.

2.00 Ascot - Happy Power

Experienced horse, he has won 7 races from 6 to 8 furlongs, and he has finished in the first three 14 times from 25 starts on turf. Finished 4th of 12 over course and distance in June. He was not too far behind when finishing 6th of 9 in a Group 2 race at Goodwood in August on his last appearance. Rob Hornby rides, and finished 2nd and 3rd on the two previous times he has ridden.

thefinalbroadcast
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby thefinalbroadcast » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:51 am

Dragon Symbol
Running consistently this year but not getting head in front. Dropped down to 5f & continued running creditably both here & in Ireland. Now put back in over 6f. Oisin Murphy keeps the ride as he goes to try & confirm the jockey's title. He has a 42% place rate in the last fortnight & a 47% place rate when teaming with this yard. The yard are going well with a 31% place rate in the last fortnight & have a 26% place rate here in the last year.

Delboy980
Legend
Tips

Postby Delboy980 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:26 am

2.00 Ascot

MINZAAL

Trainer Owen Burrows ...... ........ ........ ....... ........ .....> Jockey Jim Crowley

An Owen Burrows-trained 3-year-old who has had 5 races all on the flat, last 4 races ridden by today's jokey Jom Crowley. He last won in Aug last year in a Group 2 at York oner 6f on good going when mad fav winning by 2 lengths. He is in a Group 1 over 6f on good to soft going, this colt had been off track for 371 day's when having a race here at Ascot 2 weeks ago in a class 1 stakes over 5f on soft going when staying on at the finish, finishing 2nd beaten 1 length. That race will have put him spot-on for this race, has a good chance in this race today.

samm74
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby samm74 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:09 am

KINROSS

Smart horse, lightly raced this season contesting only 4 events
Won on reappearance in May G3 7f, followed with win in Lennox Stakes GW
2 good G1 runs in France latest
Question mark over the trip but trust Frankie to pace this
Drawn high could be a plus, trainer in good form