Re: One A Day OCTOBER Race 1 (1st to 15th)

ejanbow
Stallion
Tips

Postby ejanbow » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:16 pm

ONE A DAY OCTOBER 2021 RACE 2 (1st to 15th)

Hello and welcome to the One A Day competition for October. Regular runners will have a good idea of how this works already but for maiden runners and for those with plenty of experience please read on as there are a couple of subtle changes this month.

How It Works

Nothing has changed in terms of how we run the race. They'll be two races each month. The first will run from the 1st day of the month to the 15th with the second running from the 16th of the month to the last day of the month. Each day a race will be nominated and you are asked to provide a selection for this race. You must also give reasons for your selection but please note the following as this is crucial:

Anyone who doesn't put in the effort and writes something like "I fancy X to win because he is white and they are faster", "I like his name", "my friend told me so" etc. etc. won't be considered nor will any copy + pasting from other sites. YOU MUST INCLUDE AT LEAST 4 SEPARATE POINTS ON WHY YOU FANCY THE HORSE.

You need to make this reasoning at least 30 words but feel free to be as detailed as you like.

Please also note the following information:
- Do not edit your post once made.
- If your selection is a non-runner you can select again but please do this in a separate post.
- You can post a backup selection in case your first selection is a non-runner and you don't believe you'll be able to update your selection in the case of a non-runner. However, if your first selection runs then that is the one that will be scored.
- Failing to post a selection will see you not scored for that race. You can PM myself or another member to post on your behalf but again, the selection must be posted before the race starts.
- On the last race day if the competition is tight those in contention can PM me their selections and I'll hold them until the race starts. If I'm involved then I'll ask for a neutral to step forward and hold the selections until the off. This is so copying a fellow runners selection to assure the win/place is avoided.
- If a day's nominated race is on a card that is abandoned we will have two races the following day. If this occurs on the last day of the race we'll run an extra race the following day whilst also starting a new competition.

Selecting Races - Back to one thread (for each race)

After discussions with regular runners in our races via PM it's clear that the thread a day isn't too popular and that you would all like some input in picking races so we'll revert back to one thread for picks and you can all have input in picking races. I've started the new thread (we'll do a thread for race 1 then a new thread for race 2 so it's easier for me to trace back for selections as I score up the races). I will usually pick the first race and the Saturday races but feel free to offer a race up if I seem to be taking my time.

I reserve the right to void a race if circumstances significantly change the dynamics of the race - ie, multiple late withdrawn horses significantly reducing the field (below 6 runners).

Hope that makes sense, any questions ask here or PM me.

Please note, when selecting races, please refrain from MAIDENS/NOVICE events including BEGINNER CHASES as these can be difficult in placing a reasoning to. Handicaps and higher class races (listed, graded or group) are preferred but please try to find a race with a competitive sized field.

Scoring

We score as in previous months:
1st = 30pts + 5x SP
2nd = 20pts + 3x SP
3rd = 10pts + 2x SP
4th = 4pts + 1 x SP
5th = 1pts + 1 x SP

To encourage people to look away from favourites as well there will be bonus points for the price of the horse as shown above. This means that if someone picks a 2/1 horse that wins they will get 40pts (30 for winning and then 5 times 2/1 is 10 -> 30+10=40) while if someone picks a 10/1 shot that comes second they will get 50pts (20+30=50).

Please note, scores will be rounded up to one decimal place from January's second race!

Dead heats - the points of the places are added together and divided by the number that dead heated. i.e. if 1st place is a dead heat then both 1st placed will get 25 pts (30+20pts) and x4 SP (5+3/2 = 4).

Results and leaderboard
I will update this thread with race results and they'll be contained in the post directly after this one and an updated leaderboard. I hope to do this every three days and daily towards the end of the race but please be patient as occasionally life will get in the way of me doing this promptly.

In the event of any ties for prizes, the tied runners will be split by their highest scoring selection for the month, regardless of actual finishing position (ie, a 1st place scoring 100 pts does not outrank a 2nd place scoring 120 pts).

Please also check your scores. Mistakes do happen, I am only human. I keep the scores on a Excel spreadsheet (which I can access from my home and work so it's easy for me to keep it updated). Any scoring queries please PM myself rather than posting in either this thread or one of the daily selection threads.

PRIZES

Those generous powers that be at OLBG are offering up cash prizes for the runners and riders:
1st place overall - £10
2nd place overall - £5

***Player with the highest combined score over both races in a month who has not already won a prize £5 ***

If you know anyone interested in taking part or you've been a long time viewer of the forum who hasn't been inclined - for whatever reasons - to post much before please come and have a go, it is great fun, costs nothing and you can win real cash!! Take a look through previous month races/threads to see how it is played.

Well what turned out to be an experiment resulted in a roaring success especially for WillTeasel who selected the 80/1 winner putting him well in the clear and a good chance of winning even if he didn't score again this race. Today's result gave me a bit of a problem as I normally use Racing Post for the winning odds but that was giving me 72/1 so I had a look at a total of six bookies and went with the majority of them for all of the places (William Hill was 66/1 for the winner :lose: , I would have been gutted if I had used them with my hard earned money). Twelve of the seventeen players who took part today scored some points with six selecting the 2nd placed runner and the first day was a good day for scoring as well. Dicky is in 2nd place after getting the winner on the first day and a good scoring 5th today and Pumpdaball is in 3rd 5 points adrift. Supermack44 and Thefinalbroadcast were the only one to score on all three days.

Good luck all :win:

First of all I have had some complaints about the way I scored the Arc L'Triomphe on Sunday suggesting that I should have stuck with my usual source so I checked with the Powers That Be i.e. the Moderators who also said that I stick with Racing Post so this is the amended chart.

WillTeasel has secured his place at the top after getting the 25/1 2nd place on the third day. I have jumped in to 2nd place after getting the 14/1 winner also on the third day. Thefinalbroadcast was the only one to score on all three days with two small ones on the first and third day but the winner on the second day and he is now in 3rd place.

WillTeasel still holds the lead but I am creeping up on him as I had a very good 3rd on the first day and the winner on the third day and he drew a blank on the three days. Along with myself Igoruk and Scratville all scored on all of the three days . I was quite pleased with the outcome of the Cesarawitch considering how many runners there was.

WillTeasel remains in the lead after two small scores this week but I am in the same street as him after two good 2nds but the honour of the week go to Steenie1, Bowhillbear and Samm74 who got the very good 28/1 winner on the first day giving them 170 points each boosting them up from the bottom of the table. Thefinalbroadcast and Dicky scored on all three days. Only three races to go so all to play for.

WillTeasel is hanging on to his lead getting the 4th placed horse today but I have gained slightly on him and Thefinalbroadcast has gained on me as we Jamma001 and Underdogslover were the only ones to score today.

WillTeasel stretched his lead today being only one of four to score today so we have one last chance to catch him which we could have done if we had picked today's winner :no:

Good luck all for tomorrow :win:

Congratulations and well done to WillTeasel on winning the first race of the month holding on after his massive win on the third day. I came 2nd after scoring on twelve of the fifteen days, the last two days letting me down. Steenie1 was 3rd after getting the 40/1 2nd placed horse today but not quite enough to catch me :phew:

🥇WillTeasel £10
🥈Ejanbow £5

Thank you all for taking part :win:
Last edited by ejanbow on Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 9 times in total.

ejanbow
Stallion
Tips

Postby ejanbow » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:54 pm

For our first outing of the new month we shall go to:-

1:55 ASCOT
RACING TO SCHOOL CLASSIFIED STAKES (Class 3)
12 runners

I know it is a Stakes race but they have all had a few races and the majority of them are in form.

thefinalbroadcast
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby thefinalbroadcast » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:31 pm

BONNEVAL

Placed in last six races, and won last two (dead-heat in last race). Up 3lb for that. Second place on only run here back in July, before winning back to back. Ground conditions should not be a problem as won on soft previously. Yard have a 57% place rate in the last month, and an impressive 71% place rate here in the last year. Tom Marquand rides, and he has a 36% place rate in the last month, and a 59% place rate when riding for the Fanshawe yard.

bowhillbear
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby bowhillbear » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:00 pm

1.55 Ascot - Walhaan

He has won twice over 7 furlongs and has finished in the first three 7 times from 13 starts on turf. A good 2nd of 7 over course and distance in September with today’s jockey, Ryan Moore - in good form himself - on board. Also finished 3rd of 8 in a strong race over today’s distance at Newbury in August.

Dicky
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Dicky » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:23 pm

1.55A - Dark Shift
Has two course wins here at Ascot which came on good to soft
and good but also has a win at Nottingham on soft (heavy in
places) so underfoot conditions not a worry. Is joint top rated
on 90 and D.Tudhope who won on him at Nottingham is in the
saddle. It’s been 28 days since last run so will be fresh and is
only a 3-Y-O so still improving.

ejanbow
Stallion
Tips

Postby ejanbow » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:57 am

TAHITIAN PRINCE

Tahitian Prince has improved immensely since being gelded with four wins and another two places from his six races since the operation. He won last time out in a valuable (£21k) Class 2 race at Kempton with his penultimate race he was 2nd by shd in another valuable (£26k) Class 3 race. Five of his last six races have been over this distance so no problem there. Has a win and a close 2nd in his recent races on Good going.

Good luck all :hope:

attitude adjuster
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby attitude adjuster » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:12 am

Bonneval

Bonneval has been in great form and has not been out of the first two in his last five races and has won his last two.He has also placed here before on his one run over course and distance.A switch back to a turf surface should not pose a problem after the wins at Newcastle and he is a three time winner over this trip also.He should run well in this given his recent good form.

samm74
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby samm74 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:43 am

Well done Race 2 winners and thank you Jan :D

FINAL WATCH

Consistent runner has made rapid progress through the grades since stable debut in April
4 runs since then have resulted in 2 wins and 2 seconds, on the tricky tracks of Nmkt and Sandown
Half a length 2/8 last time out Cl 3 7f
Good jockey in Ghiani

Delboy980
Legend
Tips

Postby Delboy980 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:43 am

1.55 Ascot

TAHITIAN PRINCE

Trainer Richard Hannon ....... ....... .......... ....... ...> Jockey Sean Levey

A Richard Hannon trained 4 year old who has had 5 races on the flat winning once and has finished 2nd once. His win came in March in a class 4 handicap over 7f on good going at Doncaster ridden by today's jockey Sean Levey when a 14/1 shot beating the fav by a neck. He is in a class 3 classified stakes over 1 mile on good going, this horse has improved a lot since being gelded winning last time out in a class 2 handicap at Kempton on the a/w, He was only beaten a shorthead again at Doncaster in a class 3 handicap in Aug when finishing 2nd under today's jockey. Has a good e/w shout in this race today.

bowhillbear
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby bowhillbear » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:34 am

Latest Top 6 scores for 2021....

1. Delboy980 4924.88 :nap: :win: :win:
2. Ejanbow 4776.38 : :nb: :win:
3. jamma001 3785.46 :3:
4. bowhillbear 3690.79
5. Bluemal 3623.84
6. Igoruk 3541.74

Very impressive consistent scoring Delboy980 and Ejabow

jammat001
Stallion
Tips

Postby jammat001 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:41 am

ASCOT 1.55 BONNEVAL

This J R Fanshawe trained 4-y-o gelding has won three of his eight starts over one mile on soft ground and on the all-weather at Newcastle where he dead-heated with the T D Easterby trained Delgrey Boy 29 days ago so from a good draw in stall 9 he looks hard to keep out of the frame with Tom Marquand in the saddle for the first time

UnderdogsLover
Stallion
Tips

Postby UnderdogsLover » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:44 am

Today going for Dark Shift..

Going with course winner.
Place twice in last 5 runs.
Come back to form, winning here and 8 run,
in 7f, on gd fm early Sept.
Going has won on the soft.
Course likes placed twice.
Jockey been on be for.
Hope see out extra furlong and gets placed.

Well done last months winners :win: , thank you Jan
making comp great.