Re: One A Day SEPTEMBER Race 1 (1st to 15th)

ejanbow
Stallion
Tips

Postby ejanbow » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:42 pm

ONE A DAY SEPTEMBER 2021 RACE 1 (16th to 31st)

Hello and welcome to the One A Day competition for September. Regular runners will have a good idea of how this works already but for maiden runners and for those with plenty of experience please read on as there are a couple of subtle changes this month.

How It Works

Nothing has changed in terms of how we run the race. They'll be two races each month. The first will run from the 1st day of the month to the 15th with the second running from the 16th of the month to the last day of the month. Each day a race will be nominated and you are asked to provide a selection for this race. You must also give reasons for your selection but please note the following as this is crucial:

Anyone who doesn't put in the effort and writes something like "I fancy X to win because he is white and they are faster", "I like his name", "my friend told me so" etc. etc. won't be considered nor will any copy + pasting from other sites. YOU MUST INCLUDE AT LEAST 4 SEPARATE POINTS ON WHY YOU FANCY THE HORSE.

You need to make this reasoning at least 30 words but feel free to be as detailed as you like.

Please also note the following information:
- Do not edit your post once made.
- If your selection is a non-runner you can select again but please do this in a separate post.
- You can post a backup selection in case your first selection is a non-runner and you don't believe you'll be able to update your selection in the case of a non-runner. However, if your first selection runs then that is the one that will be scored.
- Failing to post a selection will see you not scored for that race. You can PM myself or another member to post on your behalf but again, the selection must be posted before the race starts.
- On the last race day if the competition is tight those in contention can PM me their selections and I'll hold them until the race starts. If I'm involved then I'll ask for a neutral to step forward and hold the selections until the off. This is so copying a fellow runners selection to assure the win/place is avoided.
- If a day's nominated race is on a card that is abandoned we will have two races the following day. If this occurs on the last day of the race we'll run an extra race the following day whilst also starting a new competition.

Selecting Races - Back to one thread (for each race)

After discussions with regular runners in our races via PM it's clear that the thread a day isn't too popular and that you would all like some input in picking races so we'll revert back to one thread for picks and you can all have input in picking races. I've started the new thread (we'll do a thread for race 1 then a new thread for race 2 so it's easier for me to trace back for selections as I score up the races). I will usually pick the first race and the Saturday races but feel free to offer a race up if I seem to be taking my time.

I reserve the right to void a race if circumstances significantly change the dynamics of the race - ie, multiple late withdrawn horses significantly reducing the field (below 6 runners).

Hope that makes sense, any questions ask here or PM me.

Please note, when selecting races, please refrain from MAIDENS/NOVICE events including BEGINNER CHASES as these can be difficult in placing a reasoning to. Handicaps and higher class races (listed, graded or group) are preferred but please try to find a race with a competitive sized field.

Scoring

We score as in previous months:
1st = 30pts + 5x SP
2nd = 20pts + 3x SP
3rd = 10pts + 2x SP
4th = 4pts + 1 x SP
5th = 1pts + 1 x SP

To encourage people to look away from favourites as well there will be bonus points for the price of the horse as shown above. This means that if someone picks a 2/1 horse that wins they will get 40pts (30 for winning and then 5 times 2/1 is 10 -> 30+10=40) while if someone picks a 10/1 shot that comes second they will get 50pts (20+30=50).

Please note, scores will be rounded up to one decimal place from January's second race!

Dead heats - the points of the places are added together and divided by the number that dead heated. i.e. if 1st place is a dead heat then both 1st placed will get 25 pts (30+20pts) and x4 SP (5+3/2 = 4).

Results and leaderboard
I will update this thread with race results and they'll be contained in the post directly after this one and an updated leaderboard. I hope to do this every three days and daily towards the end of the race but please be patient as occasionally life will get in the way of me doing this promptly.

In the event of any ties for prizes, the tied runners will be split by their highest scoring selection for the month, regardless of actual finishing position (ie, a 1st place scoring 100 pts does not outrank a 2nd place scoring 120 pts).

Please also check your scores. Mistakes do happen, I am only human. I keep the scores on a Excel spreadsheet (which I can access from my home and work so it's easy for me to keep it updated). Any scoring queries please PM myself rather than posting in either this thread or one of the daily selection threads.

PRIZES

Those generous powers that be at OLBG are offering up cash prizes for the runners and riders:
1st place overall - £10
2nd place overall - £5

***Player with the highest combined score over both races in a month who has not already won a prize £5 ***

If you know anyone interested in taking part or you've been a long time viewer of the forum who hasn't been inclined - for whatever reasons - to post much before please come and have a go, it is great fun, costs nothing and you can win real cash!! Take a look through previous month races/threads to see how it is played.

Dicky has taken the lead at the beginning of this new race but hot on his heels is Igoruk who is only 3.88 points behind him and he was the only one to score on all three days and then we have a clutch of three players on the same score ( listed in alphabetical order) who selected almost the same horses.

Congratulations to Seymour Winners on coming 2nd in the Tipping competition and if you think this is hard that competition is an awful lot harder, well done.

Good luck all :win:

Thefinalbroadcast is in the lead after getting the winner on the second day. Dicky is in 2nd place only 5.67 points behind after he also got the same winner. There is a fair but not impossible gap to the next players.. Low scoring three days with only three player having so e poins and therefore nobody scored on all three days.

Thefinalbroadcast remains in the lead after a good 2nd on the first day and the winner on the second day. Dicky keeps his 2nd place after getting today's winner. Nobody scored on all three days. Cogsy63 must be breathing a sigh of relief when he had today's winner to move him from 18th to 11th place. Thank you Royalscot for selecting the races for five days, I enjoyed the break as for me the hardest part of the job is shortlisting and then choosing the race.

Thefinalbroadcast is sustaining his lead after scoring on two out of the three races including the winner of the third race. Delboy980 has taken the 2nd place after scoring on all three days moving him to within 22 points of Thefinalbroadcast and they have a good but not unassailable lead. Cogsy63 was the only other to score on all three and is good example to plod on as he has gone from last to 6th in four days.

Delboy980 has wrestled the lead off Thefinalbroadcast fterscoring today. Only six scored today but four were scores to note. Two days to go and players need a lot of skill and luck to catch the top two. Dd anyone else hav a problem getting on to the horse racing forum. BetVictor ad came up on my phone every time I tried, very annoying so had to do the chart off my tablet which took longer as I usually use the phone to see people's entries.

Thefinalbroadcast has retaken the lead back off Delboy980 after scoring today, it is nip and tuck between these two. If you want to send me your entries I will accept them and put them up together but I doubt if you need to. Royalscot jumped up to 3rd after his 80 point win today. Yesterday's problem on the site sorted itself out today.

Congratulations and well done to Thefinalbroadcast on winning the first race of the month after a mighty tussle with Delboy980. Thefinalbroadcast scored on 11 of the 15 days whereas Delboy980 scored on 10 days, that one day made all the difference. A mention too for Cogsy63 and Underdogslover who battled up the league after a horrendous start and Underdogslover missed three days with internet problems and thank you to Royalscot for selecting 5 of the races and he finished 3rd

🥇Thefinalbroadcast £10
🥈Delboy980 £5

Thank you all for taking the time to enter and good luck in the next race :win:
Last edited by ejanbow on Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:48 am, edited 9 times in total.

ejanbow
Stallion
Tips

Postby ejanbow » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:51 pm

I opened the page up for tomorrows racing and I though Hurray plenty of choice :no: but all small fields or if big enough they were Novices, Juveniles or Stakes or terribly out of form and this is the best I can come with so for our first race of the new month we shall go to:-

2:20 Uttoxeter
Bresbet Beaten Under Half A Length Handicap Hurdle (Class 4)
11 runners

Last edited by ejanbow on Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dicky
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Dicky » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:45 pm

2.20U - Seaborough
Ran in the same as today CLASS 5 here in June after running in
HIGHER CLASS 4’s in April and May. Finished a decent 2nd of 11
in the June race over 1m 7f 168yds on good ground with the
jockey on board that day in the saddle again. Had a run on the
flat only 8 days ago which will have blown away any cobwebs.
Today’s ground will suit , has each way appeal.

thefinalbroadcast
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby thefinalbroadcast » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:48 pm

SIMPLY LOVELEH

In this rogue's gallery of horses, SIMPLY LOVELEH should be in with a chance here. Fell last time out, but turned out only a fortnight after so wellbeing shouldn't be questioned. Won over this distance at Aintree off only 2lb lower. Harry Skelton is back on board here, and will aim to reignite the winning partnership from Aintree. Yard have a good place rate (29% in the last fortnight) but have not quite clicked yet, but Harry S has a 36% win rate here in the last five years.

Delboy980
Legend
Tips

Postby Delboy980 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:20 pm

2.20 Uttoxeter

SIMPLY LOVELEH

Trainer Dan Skelton ....... ...... ....... ....... ........ ........ Jockey Harry Skelton

A Dan Skelton trained 8 years old who has had 12 races over the hurdles winning 3 times and has finished 3rd twice. Her last win was at Aintree in May in a class 4 mares handicap hurdle over 2m 4f on good going ridden by today's jockey Harry Skelton, when leading over the final flight to win by 1/2 a length. She is back in class 4 handicap over 2m 4f on good going, this mare fell last time out at Bangor-On-Dee when having a decent chance 3 flights from home. She is a c/d winner here at Uttoxeter over hurdles and the bigger obstacles. Has a decent chance if recovered from her fall 16 days ago.

supermack44
At Stud
Tips

Postby supermack44 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:26 pm

2:20 Uttoxeter

Seaborough

Derek Shaw's inmate Seaborough was twice placed over 2 miles here. One of his latest efforts was in a NH outing in a hurdle race where he was beaten 1 length by Ragamuffin when second of eleven. Failed to live up to expectations back on the Flat at Yarmouth next time. Back over hurdles today and claimer Aaron Anderson (7) has the reins.
:cool:

pumpdaball
At Stud
Tips

Postby pumpdaball » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:44 pm

Congrats to winner and runner up of second race
Thank you ejanbow for running the competition so well...

Uttoxeter
2:20

Simply Loveleh.....8yo Mare

Unless one of these suddenly springs to life it's hard to see any of them beating the likely short priced favorite "Duc De Bourbon". Although it does have plenty of weight, so I am siding with one that might possibly make the places in this weak affair. Simply Loveleh does have some positive boxes ticked however, she is a C/D winner here and has won twice from four outings at this track.

Last outing was at Bangor she had just moved into second spot when she fell three out, there is no way of knowing how she would have finished had she not fallen, but she could be the one to give the likely favorite "Duc De Bourbon" most to think about. The ground conditions are not a problem and the distance too is ok, ridden by Harry Skelton and trained by his brother Dan, she should give a good account of herself today barring any unfortunate mishaps.
"Drain all the water off this planet and we are all sharing the same piece of ground"

Will Teasle
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Will Teasle » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:30 pm

Uttoxeter 2.20
SIMPLY LOVELEH
This mare has her second outing after a break. On the last four occasions she has returned from a break she has suffered heavy defeats or fallen.
Simply Loveleh appears to need a run as all her wins have been second or third time up.
One of her joint best career efforts came at Uttoxeter.
Similarly best effort at today's distance of 2.5 miles.
Her last three wins have come on a sound surface. Today's conditions should suit.
She won at this time of year in 2020
Simply Loveleh is two pounds higher on official ratings compared to her hurdles win at Aintree in May. She can carry weight - she has won a race carrying 11-7.
The only jockey to have won on her (Harry Skelton) regains the ride (ridden by 7lb claiming jockey on debut).

ejanbow
Stallion
Tips

Postby ejanbow » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:23 am

This is a nice friendly forum and I take pride in keeping it so, banter I like to encourage but falling out must stop here and now. False information is no help at all and in my amateur opinion if a horse goes up/down in distance it is a rise/drop in trip whereas up/down in Class is a different set of circumstances. Complaining about the race chosen is also no help either as I work full time and often find time to pick the race difficult and I try and select a race with enough runners in decent form which can be hard at the beginning of the week. Please feel free to select a race if you see time getting on all I ask is that I select the first and last race of competition.

attitude adjuster
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby attitude adjuster » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:16 am

Duc De Bourbon

This horse is short in the betting but likely to be hard to beat if producing a similar effort to last time at Worcester when winning as he liked.He runs off the same mark here and likely to go well again,only a five year old so open to all sorts of improvement this season and the trainer had a winner last night so has the team in form.The trip here is perfect and a big run likely again.

SnowKnight1
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby SnowKnight1 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:56 am

Uttoxeter 14:20

Many thanks ejanbow for running this competition- your efforts are much appreciated.

Duc de Bourbon

Don’t like going with the favourite but beg forgiveness given my awful performance throughout August. I need a good start and hopefully the obvious will prevail. An unpenalised Nichols/Cobden horse out in the same class of race, over the same distance on the same ground, well, not too much explanation required really. He will be heading for bigger things no doubt but, given this isn’t even a pipe opener, he is a deserved favourite.

bowhillbear
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby bowhillbear » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:41 am

2.20 Uttoxeter - Coral

He has won over 2 miles 2 furlongs and today’s distance, and will be suited by the good ground. Seems to have improved since a Stable move in May, and his new Stable is in good form. 3rd of 12 over today’s distance at Worcester in July, he won his previous race, both with today’s jockey on board who claims 5lb’s.