Re: One A Day FEBRUARY 2019 Race 2 (16th to 28th)

ejanbow
At Stud
Tips

Postby ejanbow » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:59 pm

ImageHello and welcome to the One A Day competition for FEBRUARY. Regular runners will have a good idea of how this works already but for maiden runners and for those with plenty of experience please read on as there are a couple of subtle changes this month.

How It Works

Nothing has changed in terms of how we run the race. They'll be two races each month. The first will run from the 1st day of the month to the 15th with the second running from the 16th of the month to the last day of the month. Each day a race will be nominated and you are asked to provide a selection for this race. You must also give reasons for your selection but please note the following as this is crucial:

Anyone who doesn't put in the effort and writes something like "I fancy X to win because he is white and they are faster", "I like his name", "my friend told me so" etc. etc. won't be considered nor will any copy + pasting from other sites. YOU MUST INCLUDE AT LEAST 4 SEPARATE POINTS ON WHY YOU FANCY THE HORSE.

You need to make this reasoning at least 30 words but feel free to be as detailed as you like.

Please also note the following information:
- Do not edit your post once made.
- If your selection is a non-runner you can select again but please do this in a separate post.
- You can post a backup selection in case your first selection is a non-runner and you don't believe you'll be able to update your selection in the case of a non-runner. However, if your first selection runs then that is the one that will be scored.
- Failing to post a selection will see you not scored for that race. You can PM myself or another member to post on your behalf but again, the selection must be posted before the race starts.
- On the last race day if the competition is tight those in contention can PM me their selections and I'll hold them until the race starts. If I'm involved then I'll ask for a neutral to step forward and hold the selections until the off. This is so copying a fellow runners selection to assure the win/place is avoided.
- If a day's nominated race is on a card that is abandoned we will have two races the following day. If this occured on the last day of the race we'll run an extra race the following day whilst also starting a new competition.

Selecting Races - Back to one thread (for each race)

After discussions with regular runners in our races via PM it's clear that the thread a day isn't too popular and that you would all like some input in picking races so we'll revert back to one thread for picks and you can all have input in picking races. I've started the new thread (we'll do a thread for race 1 then a new thread for race 2 so it's easier for me to trace back for selections as I score up the races). I will usually pick the first race and the Saturday races but feel free to offer a race up if I seem to be taking my time.

I reserve the right to void a race if circumstances significantly change the dynamics of the race - ie, mulitple late withdrawn horses significantly reducing the field (below 6 runners).

Hope that makes sense, any questions ask here or PM me.

Please note, when selecting races, please refrain from MAIDENS/NOVICE events including BEGINNER CHASES as these can be difficult in placing a reasoning to. Handicaps and higher class races (listed, graded or group) are preferred but please try to find a race with a competitive sized field.

Scoring

We score as in previous months:
1st = 30pts + 5x SP
2nd = 20pts + 3x SP
3rd = 10pts + 2x SP
4th = 4pts + 1 x SP
5th = 1pts + 1 x SP

To encourage people to look away from favourites as well there will be bonus points for the price of the horse as shown above. This means that if someone picks a 2/1 horse that wins they will get 40pts (30 for winning and then 5 times 2/1 is 10 -> 30+10=40) while if someone picks a 10/1 shot that comes second they will get 50pts (20+30=50).

Please note, scores will be rounded up to one decimal place from January's second race!

Dead heats - the points of the places are added together and divided by the number that dead heated. i.e. if 1st place is a dead heat then both 1st placed will get 25 pts (30+20pts) and x4 SP (5+3/2 = 4).

Results and leaderboard
I will update this thread with race results and they'll be contained in the post directly after this one and an updated leaderboard. I hope to do this every three days and daily towards the end of the race but please be patient as occasionally life will get in the way of me doing this promptly.

In the event of any ties for prizes, the tied runners will be split by their highest scoring selection for the month, regardless of actual finishing position (ie, a 1st place scoring 100pts does not outrank a 2nd place scoring 120pts).

Please also check your scores. Mistakes do happen, I am only human :wink: I keep the scores on a Excel spreadsheet (which I can access from my home and work so it's easy for me to keep it updated). Any scoring queries please PM myself rather than posting in either this thread or one of the daily selection threads.

PRIZES

Those generous powers that be at OLBG are offering up cash prizes for the runners and riders:

1st place overall - £10

2nd place overall - £5

***If someone can pull off the monthly double, a £5 bonus***

If you know anyone interested in taking part or you've been a long time viewer of the forum who hasn't been inclined - for whatever reasons - to post much before please come and have a go, it's great fun, costs nothing and you can win real cash!! Take a look through previous month races/threads to see what's expected and how it works.

Finally, I'll wish our runners the best of luck and I hope you'll take part and run hard but fair. Any questions, again, please ask in this thread or preferably, PM myself. :win:

Well done to Samm74 and newcomer Desjo on shooting out of the stalls scoring on all three days and in the 100 + points already. Welcome Desjo and Glen7 to the competition, I hope that you will carry on to the end of the race and not give up as points can be made by an occasional outsider coming in such as Blu Cavalier in the first race coming 3rd at 100/1. Only the top two had aq 100% SR these last three days.

Vivian, we are having our second Christmas in June when my daughter comes home from Tajikstan where she is teaching English in the top school in the country where she teaches the Presidents grandaughters.

Good luck all :win:

A very keen race at the top of the league with the top three namely Samm 74, Underdogslover and Desjo stretching their lead over the others. The lead has changed every day. Only Desjo scored 100% SR over the three days, in fact has scored in every race this race,
(What is your secret Desjo :wink: )

Underdogslover and Samm74 hanging on to the lead but I have joined them in the two hundreds after selecting an 80/1 2nd place and yesterday's winner. The next three are not too far behind and could easily catch us. Well done to newcomer Glen17 after persevering and getting points on the board. Only Bowhillbear had a 100% SR on the four days.

Well there is a big shake up in the top players with the lead changing to Bowhillbear, never underestimate him/her, Underdogslover dropping a place and Finding Winners has climbed to 3rd after both he, Bowhillbear and Glen17 picked today's winner and another two namely Supermack44 and Crofty11 selected today's big points. Only two days to go and I reckon any the top 6 have a chance of winning this race.

Well what a calamity today with only Geordieracer scoring with the second placed horse so no change at the top except that Bowhillbear has gained some points as for some strange reason I gave him the wrong horse so please keep an eye on your scores as old age does get in the way, well that is my excuse and I am sticking with it :lol: Last day tomorrow so it all out or nothing.

Well what an interesting month with the lead changing several time and congratulations and well done to Bowhillbear on winning the race and to Finding Winners who jumped past Underdogslover to come 2nd. Hope you all enjoyed the race.

:nap: Bowhillbear £10
:nb: Finding Winners £5
Last edited by ejanbow on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 9 times in total.

ejanbow
At Stud
Tips

Postby ejanbow » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:05 pm

Let's start off Race 2 with the Betfair Hurdle at Ascot and we will follow with William Hill Grand National Trial at Haydock:-

3:20 Ascot 1m7½f (1m7f152y) Betfair Hurdle (Handicap) (Grade 3) (Class 1) 14 runners

3:35 Haydock 3m4½f (3m4f97y) William Hill Grand National Trial Handicap Chase (Grade 3) (Class 1) 16 runners

We are having two races today to make up for the time we lost with the Equine Flu

ejanbow
At Stud
Tips

Postby ejanbow » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:16 pm

For those of you that may be interested I have put up the final positions of the January second race on the OAD January race 2 thread but for those of you that can't be bothered to go back that far here it is:-

Well done to Jamma001 and to Steenie1 on winning this months second race with excellent scores both of them not far from that magic 500 points.
Please accept my apologies for the delay in putting up the league but as you all know I have been indisposed.

:nap: Jamma001
:nb: Steenie1

ejanbow
At Stud
Tips

Postby ejanbow » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:24 pm

Here is the up to date winners chart :win:

bluemal
Legend
Tips

Postby bluemal » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:56 pm

3:20 Ascot. 1m 7.5f

Getaway Trump - from Paul Nicholls yard the 6yo has won two hurdle races and a point-to-point from 2m 1f to 3m on good and heavy ground with two of those wins coming in the four races so far this season in novice handicap hurdles followed by a place finish in last race, That last race was 49 days ago at Newbury in Grade 1 hurdle race in the Group 1 Betway Challow Novices' Hurdle when he finished 2nd beaten 2.5 lengths with Harry Cobden been in saddle all four races this season and continues today

3:35 Haydock. 3m 4.5f

Red Infantry - from Ian Williams yard the 9yo has won a hurdle race and three chases from 2m 4f to 3m 4.5f on good and soft ground and a C&D winner here this season in November last year followed by a 2nd and last race 28 days ago again here over the shorter distance 3m 1.5f hcp chase he finished 5th beaten 6 lengths by Wakanda , He's better rated this time to reverse the placing with Wakanda and a couple of other that were in front of him especially with the step back up to 3m 4.5f and blinkers on for first time with Tom O'Brien in saddle

bowhillbear
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby bowhillbear » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:38 pm

3.20 Ascot - Nordic Combined

Consistent horse, with flat race wins. Has been placed 3 times from 4 hurdles races, all at close to today’s distance. 2nd of 12 by a close distance at Ffos Las in January. Ground today will suit, looks relatively good in the weights, and excellent Bryony Frost booked to ride

bowhillbear
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby bowhillbear » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:46 pm

3.35 Haydock - Vieux Lion Rouge

Good horse with strong course form, and has won two out of two over ‘chases at Haydock. One win was this race two years ago. Well handicapped today, cheek pieces worn which have helped before. Regular jockey Tom Scudamore booked to ride.

Vivian
At Stud
Tips

Postby Vivian » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:53 pm

Still under the influence!!!!

3.20 Ascot

LISP

He is a distance winner. Last 3 runs have ended in the frame, all, about the 2 miles. Today's jockey in the saddle and has won on him more than once. His wins have been on the softer ground, so the Good to Soft will suit. He has a raise in the handicap, which is to be expected, but not enough to cause concern.

3.35 Haydock

YALA ENKI

He is a C & D winner. Ran a good 3rd place LTO, Last two runs, after a long break, have been productive with both being in the frame. He only has a small raise in the handicap for his success, but has a very good 7lb claimer on board to counteract that. He runs well on the Good to Soft, so no worries with the going. He has a decent chance at a reasonable price.

Scratville
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Scratville » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:32 am

Al Dancer

Could be anything judged on his three hurdle runs to date and the race he cruised to last time has had the form franked by most of those behind. Goes on any ground and this stiff track should suit. A race full of potential but this one arguably has the most and looks a solid favorite.

Vieux Lion Rogue

Last win came in this race two years back off this mark, has been mostly running off marks in the 150's since but returned from a wind op with a really good run again off this mark over the National fences. His Chepstow run can be easily forgiven and can bounce back here at a double figure price.
Horse Racing One A Day Winner April 11
Horse Racing One A Day Winner July 11
Football One A Day Winner Sept 11
NFL Handicap Challenge Winner Oct 11
Horse Racing One A Day Winner Dec 11
Football One A Day Winner May 13

geordieracer
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby geordieracer » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:17 am

DIDTHEYLEAVEUOUTTO

Won his first 2 over hurdles (after landing a listed bumper last season)
Double penalty did for him last time out and I don't think the handicapper has been over-harsh with the opening handicap mark.
One of his wins was over this c and d so hopefully he can run well enough to justify his entries in both the supreme and the bally more (although I suspect he's not quite good enough to trouble the scorers in either)

WAKANDA

This is a very good looking renewal with the last 3 winners all taking part.
Sue Smith's consistent chaser was below par when taking part in this 2 years ago but has 2 wins at Haydock under his belt and is worth supporting again here.
Not over-punished for his last run when winning here over a shorter trip (Peter Marsh) and is a horse which is often overlooked in the reckoning by punters.
Stable was going well before the flu epidemic; let's hope they come out firing again (today first runners since)

Crofty11
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby Crofty11 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:02 am

15.20 Ascot

Mont des Avaloirs

Nicholls has a strong hand here and I am going for his apparent second string, this horse has run some nice races over hurdles, including a very good 4th off 137 in a valuable race at Ascot. He then had a break and came back over fences , then back to hurdles with a very good 3rd in listed race a Nse behind Lisp.

He gave Lisp 2lb that day and with the Jockeys 5lb he receives 8lb from that horse today, the horse 4 and a half lengths back from those two has won twice since that race so the form looks OK.

He is the second top rated horse in the race and the aforementioned 5lb allowance should make him competitive with the favourites in the race.

Last time out he was sent off 5/1 favourite in a valuable race here , he was kept close to the pace that day and finished tired down the field, ridden with little more restraint today and he could well figure at the death.

UnderdogsLover
Stallion
Tips

Postby UnderdogsLover » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:14 am

3:20 Ascot
Magic Dancer....

Two places in his 5 runs this term..
Carrying 10-3 claimer taken off -3.
Was 2nd 8 at Kemp in class 3 on good.
Has won on the soft..
Stepping up in class today. if copes with it!!
Hope run well and get placed... :hope:

3:35 Haydock
Royal Vacation..

Done him be for he do for me, & is my National fancy to...

Two places in his 3 runs this term.
Going will like..
Won at Taun in mid Jan 7 run on gd st in 28f.
Been placed in top class this season.
If copes woith course!! stays trip,
cn run well and get placed... :hope: