US Horseracing discussion

TeddyT
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

US Horseracing discussion

Postby TeddyT » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:57 am

Racing from the United States is now available for tipping on OLBG and we are running a USA only table with £100 in prizemoney up for grabs:

https://www.olbg.com/tables/index.php?id=98

Most weekends see top quality action in the States and this weekend is no different with the iconic Arlington Million taking centre stage. The Million has been in existence since 1981 when it was the first race to have prize money of $1,000,000. The first running of the Arlington Million was won by John Henry who took the race again three years later in 1984.

The Arlington Million has been a great race for European raiders with Tolomeo trained by Luca Cumani and ridden by Pat Eddery being the first overseas winner in 1983. Since then a number of European based trainers have been successful, including the likes of Bill Watts, Andre Fabre and David O’Meara. John Gosden was successful in 2010 with Debussy and Aidan O’Brien is a frequent visitor to Arlington Park, winning the big race twice in 2005 and 2011.

The winner of the Arlington Million automatically qualifies for the Breeders’ Cup Turf, which this year will be at Churchill Downs on the 3rd November.

The Arlington Million will be supported by two other Grade Ones on Saturday, the Beverly D Stakes and the Secretariat Stakes.

The full fields for the three Grade Ones on Saturday will be available shortly and we will have a closer look at the runners and riders nearer the race.
OLBG Tipster Competition Manager

TeddyT
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Re: US Horseracing discussion

Postby TeddyT » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:01 am

We have plenty of European interest in the three big races on Saturday evening at Arlington:

Secretariat (10.48)
Platinum Warrior Mick Halford
Bandua Dermot Weld
Ming Joseph O’Brien
Lucius Tiberius Aidan O’Brien
Hunting Horn Aidan O’Brien

Berverly D (11.25)
Nyaleti Mark Johnston
Athena Aidan O’Brien

Arlington Million (12.08)
Circus Couture Jane Chapple-Hyam
Century Dream Simon Crisford
Deauville Aidan O’Brien

Around half a dozen bookies have taken the plunge and priced up on the above races and it has been obvious that this is an area where the bookies are not comfortable. The initial price-ups contained several horses with a marked difference in opinion when it came to prices.
For example, in the Beverly D one firm went 8/1 Athena from the Aidan O’Brien yard whilst one other bookie went as low as 2/1. The prices have fallen into line now, but it does indicate that it may be worth monitoring the early prices of overseas racing when the bookies decide to go up.

Have any of our members had a look at these races yet?

TeddyT
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby TeddyT » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:52 pm

I've had quite a good look at the Arlington Million and these are the two I think it will concern. Not very exciting as they are 1st and 2nd favourite but preference for Oscar Performance:

Oscar Performance
Oscar Performance showed his well-being for this race when breaking the one-mile track record when winning the Grade 3 Poker Stakes at Belmont.
Prior to that victory at Belmont, Oscar Performance had twice been beaten at twelve furlongs, in the Joe Hirsch and in the Breeders Cup Turf at Del Mar. It could be that the extended distance was against him on those two occasions but his record at eight and ten furlongs is exceptional. The Brian Lynch trained four-year-old was the winner of the Breeders Cup Juvenile Turf at Santa Anita in 2016 and two further Grade 1s at ten furlongs, including the Secretariat over this course and distance last year.

Almanaar
A winner of two Group 3 events when trained in France by Freddy Head, this Shadwell Stable owned six-year-old moved to the States to be trained by Chad Brown in 2016. Since then he has had five runs, winning the last two.
Almanaar was ridden extremely confidently by Joel Rosario when winning his last race at Belmont where he was coming off a 482 day lay-off. The neck winning distance there does not do justice to the ease of his win although it was only an Optional Claiming Race so the Arlington Million is a big step up in class. Almanaar’s win before Belmont was in a much more valuable race, a Grade 1 handicap at Gulfstream worth 171k, where he defeated last year’s Arlington Million winner, Beach Patrol. On that occasion Almanaar again showed an impressive turn of foot, but one worry would be that he has only once raced over this ten-furlong trip, finishing fifth. That defeat was on his debut so perhaps can be ignored especially as he is a three-time winner over nine furlongs.
Almanaar has been noticeably free in the early stages of his last two wins however and he if he were to repeat that on Saturday night that would have to be a major concern with the step up in trip and quality.

TeddyT
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby TeddyT » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:04 pm

I'm flabergasted to see that it appears bet365 do not offer live odds for Arlington in their feed despite the races being shown live on ATR and RUK. It may well be then that we can't tip on these world class Grade 1 races but we will be able to on a claimer from Santa Rosa!

Apologies for the confusion but good luck to anyone having a bet.

Zipster
Stallion
Tips

Postby Zipster » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:24 pm

The major races at Arlington are now available to tip on! Good luck all
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant (Follow Me On Twitter)

Syndicate owner in Pentland Hills, Getaway Trump, Farouk De Cheneau, In The Cove & Boreen Boy.

titans choice
At Stud
Tips

Postby titans choice » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:36 pm

Looked at the Secretariat Stakes and decided to try a each way pick on Sniper Kitten it has had 4 runs out this year winning the last 3 runs out.The last race was the listed Mystic Lake Derby.It's sire is Kittens Joy who not only won this race back in 2004 but i think it posted the quickest winning time for this race with a time of 1:59.65.The winner of this last year was Oscar Performance and it's sire is also Kittens Joy and another of it's progeny to win this race was Admiral Kitten in 2013.

titans choice
At Stud
Tips

Postby titans choice » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:14 pm

I take it Spring Quality has been scratched from the Arlington millions as he is not there to be tipped on?

Zipster
Stallion
Tips

Postby Zipster » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:33 pm

I take it Spring Quality has been scratched from the Arlington millions as he is not there to be tipped on?

Yeah looks like it's been scratched as it had problems in travel, didn't like the road trip!
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant (Follow Me On Twitter)

Syndicate owner in Pentland Hills, Getaway Trump, Farouk De Cheneau, In The Cove & Boreen Boy.

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:39 pm

Can somebody who knows about US racing put up some sort of form summary for each course. Nothing too detailed, something like

Bog Meadows - top3 trainers top 3 jockeys type of horse that does well here any notable form notes i.e drawbias? Similarities to other courses?

toprankhorses
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby toprankhorses » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:48 pm

FREE Past Performances (Form)...not all races are available but categorized by a few (more popular) Trainers & Stud Farms.

You will need PDF reader to view the cards.

http://www.horse-races.net/library/link ... mances.htm

spencer009o
2yo
Tips

Postby spencer009o » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:21 am

Hi there,

I am new to this forum so apologies in advance if this is not the correct place to post.

As some of you are aware you can get 'arbs/valuebets' by watching the odds on bet365 for usa racing then when you have a horse that drops quite a lot, get on at a different bookmaker before they cut their prices (they often seem to be behind by several minutes)

I was basically thinking there must be a way you ca do this with bet365 as the bookmaker where you place your bets, and wondered if anyone had any insight into where they get their odds from? I personally think they copy them from perhaps a us racing site but i am yet to find out where.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Spence

meoldmate
Legend
Tips

Postby meoldmate » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:07 pm

ENABLE is just brilliant, right around the field and up the centre of the track where I think no one ever races there and I am thinking she done this the hard way and she showed how good she really is, just outstanding, well done to connections, great to see a very good horse in action.
OLBG Moderator