what has happened around here....

bristolbasher
Group 1 Class
Tips

what has happened around here....

Postby bristolbasher » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:15 pm

hey guys, hope everyone is well.

I've been out of the loop for most of this season for various reasons, but Im shocked at how dead this place seems now...

I know there was always discussions previously about the direction the site was headed, that forums are a bit outdated and that apps/twitter are more popular these days, but its like a graveyard...

Is this the norm now? or is it just my poor timing on returning to the forums?

Even the cheltenham threads don't seem that active.

Hope all is well at OLBG HQ and hopefully see some of you at Cheltenham in a few weeks.

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Re: what has happened around here....

Postby Shrews » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:39 pm

Betfair forum saying the same.

I think it's a general thing throughout internetland that messageboards are a bit old hat nowadays. They are on the decline and populated only by old farts like me. Especially horse racing forums.

Studying form and the like is way too involved and far too time consuming, much easier to just pick your favourite tipster and bet on something they're doing. Besides, football bets and especially tennis are the new cool bets, people like to bet 'live' nowadays and it's much easier 1 versus 1, not 1 versus another 10 in the field. And betting on humans, not animals, is much more reliable.

People used to bet on greyhounds once :shock:

There will be a few around for Cheltenham, but not at the moment. The antepost market is dead and buried, the value was killed a long time ago, so it will get busy in Cheltenham week, but for now there's Champions League to take up the time of the betting masses.

Shame, but it's not just OLBG.

titans choice
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby titans choice » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:33 pm

The prize for Cheltenham on here is very big and it might be the biggest of the year and maybe because it is so big people are unwilling to talk about possible winners as they would rather keep their cards close to their chest and win the prize.

Arc Jimmy
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby Arc Jimmy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:25 pm

I moved here from Racecaller which called it a day & had a vibrant forum, was previously with Sporting Life game which folded when Sky Sports pulled plug & GG. Com prior to that which also packed in Daily/Monthly competitions & forum, I post on betinfo24 a monthly tipping game & literally 1 person comments on their site, have been a member of tipsterchallenge their forum also slow compared to years previously also have fantastic League game Wednesday & Saturday, unfortunately you could play the same person both days not policed very well, I got beaten by someone who hadn't logged in for 7 half years, they have ghost players on there to make the illusion of more competitors.
Have been on here 3 months & enjoy it though a little quiet on forum, some far more knowledgeable people than me about then I was a far better punter before the internet, all weather racing, summer jumps & night racing, have Cheltenham week booked off as holiday , best week of year & a cold one if the weather people are correct.

DannyCraig
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby DannyCraig » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:08 pm

The prize for Cheltenham on here is very big and it might be the biggest of the year and maybe because it is so big people are unwilling to talk about possible winners as they would rather keep their cards close to their chest and win the prize.
Wishful thinking I’m afraid. Our Cheltenham antepost discussions have dwindled to a handful of members - it’s a shame.

The Snail
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby The Snail » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:07 am

Hi Danny, all

I too came over to OLBG from racecaller when it closed. I was surprised at the relative lack of forum activity compared to the amount of actual tipsters putting up picks each day, but at the end on race caller the forums were drying up a bit as well so I think it is a common trend.

I've jumped into the daily games on the forum and tried to get a few others so I guess it's about trying to keep up the activity after Cheltenham. I haven't really contributed much to the forum discussions, but hope to add a bit more going forward, just need to actually find some winners now!

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:03 am

It’s a difficult one. Some of us have made efforts to get things go but it does feel like you are fighting the tide. You can’t make people post and in regards to racing, some days racing doesn’t always deserve that much attention. That played a part in changing the daily thread to a weekly thread.

All I would say is that is you care enough to post in this thread then hopefully you’ll care enough to post in the forum more regularly.
Grand National - Pinstickers Guide Blog

I am raising money for Cancer Research in memory of my wife. If you would like to help please follow the link below:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/juliebrophy

Arc Jimmy
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby Arc Jimmy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:18 am

I play the Saturday game which I enjoy & the Daily Competition looks very competitive but being out of the house at work 12 hours a day 4 days a week I don't find the time to study or write comments just quick pick naps probably why I don't show profit each month but end of day it's all a bit of fun on a very well set out site, if you could pinch the League game they play on tipsterchallenge Wednesday & Saturday's & police it correctly am sure you'd get more bodies migrating.

mc1000
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby mc1000 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:20 am

Hi 'bristolbasher' It is just a case I believe of such is life (unfortunately) if you go to the Horse Racing Betting Blogs section there have been over thirty cracking blogs posted since January both in general and on the coming Cheltenham festival but I doubt there have been a dozen people commenting or joining in the threads which must be soul destroying for the regular writers such as Micko70 Sportingsamcan tbuckley etc etc and again unfortunately the bloggers I believe are also becoming an endangered species. For my sins I have had log in issues since they changed it so only log in here every fortnight and have been plying my trade on the OLBG Ireland site but it is the same there the majority of people on the OLBG sites are in it for the cash competitions and I do not blame them they are free and well worth going for... but that's the such is life part. :(

thegambler3700
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby thegambler3700 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:25 pm

Hi

Unfortunately its like a lot of racing forums where only a few contribute. However I wouldnt look on it as a negative as the people that contribute no matter what sport are getting winners for people who havent the time to do write ups due to work. I had to give up for a good few weeks there because of health but now i am back and can do daily racing selections.

As for Cheltenham I havent looked on here yet but I shall be doing to see what peoples opinions are on handicaps. Im hoping to do a blog a day for the handicaps there to me thats where the value is.

Although not a lot contribute im sure word will spread about this forum and more will join

The Snail
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby The Snail » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:36 pm

I must admit, I rarely use a device with a keyboard now. At work we have an outdated IE so the site doesn't run that smoothly (not a dig at the site but work's cheapness!!) so even though I may read quite a few posts, blogs and forums, the thought of writing a response on each one on my tablet or phone isn't exactly appealing, even with my dexterous fingers :P

geordieracer
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby geordieracer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:58 pm

The world moves on...

People now are hooked on twitter and so on; short comments, no thought required

I think the point about most weekday racing being low class is a key one. Time was that during the NH season you would have a good midweek race at least once a week; the Peterbiorough Chase, for example, has lost something now moved to a weekend; something has to get he juices flowing

I'm on another forum based site and the truth is that apart from a weekend tipping compettion and a middweek one there is next to no activity now (previously had 40 or 50 really active members and there was in-play chat on football as well as during big racemeetings and most Saturdays)

People also find other things to do with their time, I suppose.

All credit to the people running the compettions and to OLBG for supporting this site; as said above, the one way to reinvigorate discussion threads is to take part in them (but as also said, when all you have to use is a smartphone it's a chore...)

plus ca change as they say