All Irish Racing to switch from ATR to RUK from Jan 2019

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

All Irish Racing to switch from ATR to RUK from Jan 2019

Postby Gman84 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:11 pm

Breaking news today.

As someone who doesn't subscribe to RUK I find this news disappointing. I understand the Irish powers that be need to get a good package in terms of money but this makes racing less inclusive and harder to watch for people. £25 for one channel is a lot to justify unless you area pure racing nut.

Do members here pay for RUK? I've never even taken a trial as heard a few people complain it was hard to get in touch to turn it off once the trial was over.

ATR isn't going to have much left at this point. I think they lost Leicester earlier this year and had lost some other tracks previous to that.
Grand National - Pinstickers Guide Blog

I am raising money for Cancer Research in memory of my wife. If you would like to help please follow the link below:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/juliebrophy

Arc Jimmy
Group 2 Class
Tips

Re: All Irish Racing to switch from ATR to RUK from Jan 2019

Postby Arc Jimmy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:50 pm

That is a shame, I enjoy the Irish racing especially on Sunday's albeit either Mullins or Elliot tends to Win more than half the card.
ATR seem to be losing the battle against RUK not only Leicester absconded to them last year but Taunton & Stratford as well.
Do ATR get Ascot back in 2019 or 2020 ?
I do like the horses but wouldn't pay £20 a month to subscribe, each to their own though.

jaydubs
Stallion
Tips

Postby jaydubs » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:01 pm

Well that is not good news... I spot a lot of horses for my tracker on ATR ... I guess that will curtail my betting severely from 2019... so ATR has pretty much AW and some small courses... bad news for the average race fan...

meoldmate
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby meoldmate » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:21 pm

Like the members above, I like to watch the re-runs with attheraces ad now with RUK for £25 terrible, how do justify that sort of money, when many will be working through the period of racing, alright re-runs in the evening, still costing a small fortune to watch repeats, getting like the BBC.

I think this is the fault of the bookies, who are willing to pay as they can make it off us punters by betting a pound upwards, bet365 50p upwards, still have to bet on a race that you are able to see.

I might be old fashion, as I do not own a high tech phone, so cannot watch racing this way, matter of fact, where I work, they do not allow mobile phones on the factory floor, plus what I have seen reception is poor.

I can see attendances dropping and the racing setup will be wondering why, as channel four does the best advertising for racing, still tune in to attheraces but some kick in the teeth to them to keep Irish alive this side of the Irish sea.
OLBG Moderator

attitude adjuster
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby attitude adjuster » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:39 pm

I agree with all here I love ATR and have watched with years, i simply can not afford that sort of money every month to watch racing. If Racing UK dropped the price of this to a reasonable amount of money than they would get plenty of more subscribers, me included, just by getting the rights to the Irish Racing will not mean any more viewers at their prices.

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:25 pm

Like the members above, I like to watch the re-runs with attheraces ad now with RUK for £25 terrible, how do justify that sort of money, when many will be working through the period of racing, alright re-runs in the evening, still costing a small fortune to watch repeats, getting like the BBC.

I think this is the fault of the bookies, who are willing to pay as they can make it off us punters by betting a pound upwards, http://olbg.info/7/L40/D/words>bet365> 50p upwards, still have to bet on a race that you are able to see.

I might be old fashion, as I do not own a high tech phone, so cannot watch racing this way, matter of fact, where I work, they do not allow mobile phones on the factory floor, plus what I have seen reception is poor.

I can see attendances dropping and the racing setup will be wondering why, as channel four does the best advertising for racing, still tune in to attheraces but some kick in the teeth to them to keep Irish alive this side of the Irish sea.
Most bookmakers it's now a £2 bet per race to watch it live.

If RUK was about £7 a month I'd have it but for one sport, that hasn't got total coverage, £25 is just plain awful. I guess it works for them as they continue to operate but I honestly think Irish Racing will lose out in the long term because interest will be harder to maintain and viewing in general will go down.

I am raising money for Cancer Research in memory of my wife. If you would like to help please follow the link below:

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:27 pm

So this has been confirmed today alone with Chemlsford also making the switch on Jan 1.

Zipster
Stallion
Tips

Postby Zipster » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:19 pm

For the general punters this is a bad move, those not betting regularly are not going to fork out for Racing UK so overall for horse racing in general it's a bad move.

However as a subscriber I am delighted! Switching between Racing UK and ATR these days is like getting into a time machine in terms of quality of picture, I still do not understand how ATR has never gone HD but soon I will be able to watch the Irish racing HD which is superb.

So bad news for racing in general and the casual punter, good news for me!
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant || A Great Man Once Said 'The first and the best victory is to conquer self' || Follow Me On Twitter

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:22 pm

I don’t blame anyone who already subscribes for being delighted and the HD point is fair but for me, even if RUK (I believe because of this move they are going to rebrand later this year) gained all the racing at £25 I wouldn’t pay it. I subscribe to both Netflix and Amazon Prime and for £15 combined I get masses of content and the latter also offers music and cheaper delivery options for purchases. If RUK came down to their kind of price point they would attract more customers, increase viewership and therefore be able to increase advertising and sponsorship revenue but I suspect the opposite will happen and the current subscriber will be asked to pay more.

Don’t be surprised if you’re paying a couple of quid more in the coming months.

Zipster
Stallion
Tips

Postby Zipster » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:08 pm

Yes, I do agree that £25 is too much, must admit I have never paid the full amount though, started off at £10 a month for the year and then as per usual with most things, try to cancel and get another good deal, I think if I had to pay £25 then I would cancel it!

I will also point out that you get 30+ free race day tickets with your subscription with the member's club.
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant || A Great Man Once Said 'The first and the best victory is to conquer self' || Follow Me On Twitter

sportingsamcan
Group 2 Class
Betting Blog Tips

Postby sportingsamcan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:15 pm

Must say I am very pro RUK, the anywhere service is decent, I pay £12 a month having negotiated after they attempted to remove my Black Friday deal of £10 a month. I fear about the clashes and the xtra service can help that but I am not 100% sure it is the best move for the sport as a whole.

I just hope they remain well priced and get punters signing up to watch and support the sport we love.

Arc Jimmy
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Arc Jimmy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:03 pm

Chelmsford are also jumping ship as from 1st January 2019.

I've just counted 9 brave souls watching them parade for the 3.00.

Think the all weather provides an interest in racing all year round but in reality most are just 2/3 furlong sprints, in my opinion not truly run races compared to turf racing.