Cue Card

TeddyT
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Cue Card

Postby TeddyT » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:04 pm

Lots in the press about Cue Card since his fall in the Charlie Hall Chase at Wetherby which resulted in Paddy Brennan being replaced as the horse's big race jockey by youngster Harry Cobden.

Also there have been a few mumbles on social media suggesting that the horse should be retired. That viewpoint seems a bit extreme to me given that the horse will be 12 in January.

The Colin Tizzard trained gelding has won 16 of his 38 races under Rules including nine races at Grade 1.

I'd be interested to hear OLBG member's thoughts on the jockey situation and the calls for the horse's retirement.
OLBG Tipster Competition Manager

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Re: Cue Card

Postby Shrews » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:45 pm

Worth trying another pair of hands in what will probably be his last season. The horse may still be capable enough in the eyes of the trainer (always debatable) but it could be that the horse has just had enough. In another pair of hands he may well have another lease of life. Who knows? But worth a try.

Personally, if I thought the horse had even a smidgeon of having enough then I'd say it's time to have fun with a newer model and give the grand old servant the rest of his years running about in the field. But that's just me.

One last go, see what happens.

Robmull
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Robmull » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:51 pm

Cue Card has done me plenty of favours over the years, but I just feel that age is catching up with him, as it is now nearly 2 years since he recorded his career best RPR over fences.

He also appears to have acquired a jumping issue when placed under pressure (3 falls in last 10 starts), which is worrying for a horse that has generally jumped well over fences.

I guess we will know more after the Betfair Chase at Haydock, in which Cue Card will be aiming for his fourth victory - if he wins, then it will probably be business as usual, but a poor run in that race may increase the pressure on connections to retire the horse, as it is difficult to see where his future would lay in terms of racing, if he is not competitive at Grade 1 level.

geordieracer
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby geordieracer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:05 pm

Well I was watching very closely on Saturday. He looked good in the paddock but bearing in mind just how bullish Tizzard had been beforehand (not a prep this year - has been aimed at this all summer/ better than he was this time last year etcetc) I honestly thought he was running in pretty lacklustre fashion. I certainly didn't think he looked like winning when he fell.
His recent record isn't great and if this had been his first fall I would be less inclined to say this but I'm firmly in the camp that would retire him. He has been a top top horse, a true champion. But he looks to me like a horse that might just have reached the end of his long and illustrious rope.

Changing the jockey isn't going to change anything. I can't see anything Paddy did wrong and if I'm right about the horse there's nothing anyone can do about it.

I really don't want this horse to go out in a bad way. I'm always wary that old warriors are taken to the well once too often and if he got an injury it would be tragic.

This is a big season for Tizzard because after all the buzz last season he is expected to challenge the big boys for the championship. He may just be a bit blinkered over the horse that really put him on the map.

I'm hoping I'm wrong but I worry for the horse. The fences at Haydock, even now, are not the easiest; The Betfair will be faster run.... I just hope this great horse's great heart does not cause a problem.

If he was mine he would be in the paddock eating grass now

horage
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby horage » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:06 pm

the tizzards think they probably have one big race left in the old horse this season ;but no one likes to see old good horse on the decline against

the next generation of chasers ; place money in the king george as a final run looks a possibility; but cue card owes them nothing so if they were

to retire him now no one would blame them . :?

Systemight
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Systemight » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:45 am

Like all top athletes i always think its best to go out at the top,it's best to be remembered that way.I Personally don't see a change of jockey making much of an impact as Brennan is as good as most,i would argue better than new jockey Cobden in fact.Cue Card has done more than enough to earn his retirement and deserves to go out of the sport in one piece.....
..because there is always another day...

PompeyJim
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby PompeyJim » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:16 pm

Having sat on a horse recently for just the second time in 30 years I vowed never to criticise a jockey again and although I'm not a massive fan of PB, like previous posts I think it would be harsh to apportion blame to Paddy for Cue Card's three falls in recent seasons. The first Gold Cup fall just looked really unlucky coming down the hill which catches so many out and that may have been his year. The Charlie Hall this year looked a decent renewal and it was the new pretenders fighting it out, a previous post mentioned he didn't seem to be going that well when he came down and although not out of it I tend to agree. Advancing years I think is the key factor rather than a change of jockey (time will tell) and again would echo previous thoughts in the hope he can bow out at the top rather than pick up an injury from going to the well once too often. Tough decision for connections though when these thoroughbreds still enjoy and have the enthusiasm for their racing.
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant

Zipster
Stallion
Tips

Postby Zipster » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:09 pm

I am not sure there is much left in the way of winning this year, for me once a top class horse passes the 10 year mark I tend to overlook them in high class races so I am wondering if it is worth keeping him in training giving his recent tendency to fall, I would hate to see him get fatally injured in one of these races.

I have been looking at the numbers for 11yo+ in graded races, in the UK 2016-2017 season there was 54 of these who competed, a total of 2 went on to success (4%), over in Ireland this was even worse with just 1 winner last season from 70 runners sent out so last season in the UK & Ireland we saw 124 runners who were 11yo+ run in 72 graded races, 3 of which were won by one of these runners and they are already 0-10 this season.

If you focus on Grade One races only then there has only been 1 winner since the start of the 2012 UK season and not a single winner in the last two season in Ireland!

The question is why keep him in training? Statistically he is unlikely to be winning any high class races.

I have no problem with Harry Cobden, in fact I think he is an excellent jockey, a 24% strike rate in Gr1/Gr2 races is excellent but with Cue Card I just don't see many wins coming this season, yes he can pick up a few places here and there but at this level once you pass the magic age of 10 you don't tend to pick up too many wins.
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant || A Great Man Once Said 'The first and the best victory is to conquer self' || Follow Me On Twitter

horage
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby horage » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:48 pm

zipster there are some brilliant stats in your post about older horses in graded races ; like you once there over 10 years old they have to be an

old fav for me to back them.but i had no idea that older horses had such a poor record in graded races. :?

Kessy1971
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Kessy1971 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Cue card has been very kind to me on the Betting front in recent years but I must admit I,m not sure about him winning another grade 1 race, hope I,m wrong

On the jockey front I think it will help the horse but we,ll have to wait and see on that issue, still be good ew value in up and coming races tho,

TeddyT
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby TeddyT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:54 pm

Bad news for Special Tiara and Coneygree as well then as both will be 11 come the Festival.

Any more rising 11 who will be well fancied?
OLBG Tipster Competition Manager