Members race rules

redboy
Stallion
Tips

Members race rules

Postby redboy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:53 pm

I thought I'd put this up to see with interest how other members go about their selections.

For me (for what its worth) when I see the cards I will rule out maidens , nursery , novice , apprentice , amateur and conditional jocks races.
Fields of 10 are viewed with interest ( 8 runners being the ideal) because there may be non runners. Anything over 8 runners is a no no.
From a place bet point of view - field of 8 max must have CD winning/placing history and be in form - the 4 place market is a good way to go - but perhaps not for the impatient.
As for the All Weather it may be of interest to watch those turned out quickly at the same course.

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Re: Members race rules

Postby Shrews » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:40 pm

If it's got four legs and a mane I'll bet on it :no:

If I was taking it all serious, I would bet on class 4 or 5 handicaps over 14f+ on the flat for 4yo+. I'd look for a race with 10-12 runners with an expectation that one or two would be non-runners thus leaving 8 or 9. I'd also avoid any jockey who wasn't a full-time professional. The rationale is that it's less likely that 'luck' will play a part, as errors in running can be corrected and the draw is less likely to have an effect. I seem to have more success at C4 and C5 than the other classes.

Over the jumps, I would bet on steeplechases, over 3m 2f+, for experienced chasers, on soft or heavy ground, at stiff tracks, again with 10-12 runners. With a rationale that the out and out, soft-ground-loving, stayer can come into his own at long odds and jumping is likely to be slower with less chance of a faller. I've no preference with the class of the race over jumps.

In both cases, I would then dismiss any races left where there's a rock solid favourite, with the rationale that it'll probably win and I'm a greedy bugger who's looking for odds of 3/1+

Talking of odds, I wouldn't consider anything over 16/1 in an 8-10 runner field and would be giving preference to those in the 3/1 - 9/1 bracket.

There wouldn't be any races on Sunday to interest me and if doing for real I would probably end up with just half a dozen or so in a week. Perhaps I'll try it in next months tipping comp. :D

Robmull
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Robmull » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:58 pm

Interesting thoughts chaps.

I generally concentrate on Group and Listed races with no age restrictions on the flat and Graded/Listed races (not novice events) over jumps, plus class 3 and above open handicaps under both codes, as I believe that better quality runners tend to run consistently to form on more occasions than their lower grade stablemates.

The only exception to this ‘rule’ is a few lower class handicaps on the all weather, when the shape of the race appears appropriate for a crack at finding the forecast amongst a small group of participants.

As for other rules (such as number of runners in a race, etc), these very much depend on the type of race that I am analysing.

However, my one overarching ‘rule’ is that I will not back any selection that appears too short in the betting market and therefore does not offer value in my opinion.

redboy
Stallion
Tips

Postby redboy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:02 pm

Thanks fellas - thought we might have had a bit more interest than this.

I have to admit my liking for the " sand dancers" that keep me going through the dreary dark nights of winter.
The higher grade flat races are usually a watching event for me as with the jumps. If I do venture over to the other side I do tend to factor in the going and jockey too.

concerto
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby concerto » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:41 pm

I agree with Robmull about the odds offered on a possible selection must represent value before a bet is placed. No value equals no bet for me.

Wouldn't touch all weather racing with monopoly money never mind my own. Never sure which runners will be trying or not trying on the day and the same is true with big field handicaps in Ireland. I also ignore racing in America including the Benzedrine Cup and foreign racing generally, but all else is fair game if the price is right.

Robmull
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Robmull » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:27 pm

Thanks fellas - thought we might have had a bit more interest than this.

Hi redboy,

Unfortunately, the lack of responses to what should be a fascinating discussion that most members with an interest in betting on horse racing could join in with, is indicative of the apparent lack of interest in forum at the present time.

The current situation may not be helped by the fact that only 3 Forum Awards (£25 in total - 2 for football and 1 for darts) have been granted so far this month, despite plenty of top quality contributions (in my opinion) across the various forums.

I appreciate that the primary purpose of the forums is to provide an opportunity for members to share their views and is not a vehicle for contributors to make significant money, however OLBG have widely advertised the forum awards initiative in the past, yet currently appear reluctant to actually reward top quality posts, which is a shame as a little more incentivisation may just trigger an increase in member contributions and thus improve the effectiveness of the forum threads and support the ethos of working together to beat the bookies.

All the best.

Rob.

Micko70
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Micko70 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:01 pm

Rob

No disrespect but members should post because they want to rather than the thought of getting £5/£10 as a bonus, i haven't read a top class comment that warrants a cash award for a few months.

I know we as members are all to blame for this, but the lack of topics to discuss is probably to blame for the lack of input.

As i write this, 8 of the top 10 topics are either in the premier league thread or the other challenges thread, meaning loads of competitions, no post ever in a competition thread will ever receive a forum award.

I am all for new topics and getting the discussion going but i cannot understand this topic, although others will enjoy it and as a result of that, i will probably not post on it

jaydubs
Stallion
Tips

Postby jaydubs » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:39 pm

This type of discussion comes up every so often... different people like different races... it's been done to death

Robmull
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Robmull » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 pm

No offence taken Micko, as I stated in my original post, I agree that the forum is for sharing information and topics of interest and should not be considered by members as a vehicle to make regular money, however there does appear to be a reluctance to reward quality contributions, albeit I appreciate that this is only my opinion and as I am not a moderator, I am obviously not aware of the guidelines for making such awards.

As for posting topics, I again agree with you that we as members could do more, but none of us have infinite amount of time and to be honest it is becoming disheartening when so few members respond with their thoughts, perhaps there are just too many forum based competitions now, so many members spend all their time trying to win these, rather than getting involved in proper discussions :?

jaydubs, I agree that this is not the first time that this topic has been raised, but newer members may not have seen it before and may wish to join in, whilst I would expect that some of more experienced members will have changed their horse racing betting strategies over the years and will hopefully be prepared to share their thoughts.

redboy
Stallion
Tips

Postby redboy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:21 pm

This type of discussion comes up every so often... different people like different races... it's been done to death
Thanks for that quality input.

@ Robmull
jaydubs, I agree that this is not the first time that this topic has been raised, but newer members may not have seen it before and may wish to join in, whilst I would expect that some of more experienced members will have changed their horse racing betting strategies over the years and will hopefully be prepared to share their thoughts.
Exactly.
Thought I would put this topic up in the hope of a bit of discussion - wish I hadnt bothered now. Looks like me , Rob and Shrews sitting in a nursing home with tartan blankets in our rocking chairs :eyebrows:

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:59 pm

The problem with horse racing is that it takes many years to study and the young generation aren't really into that (apols if that's generalistic and you're young and up for the long haul). What we're led to believe is that the youth of today are the 'now generation' i.e they want and expect everything to be 'now', for everything to be accessible at the touch of a button. And of course, it is.

That's no disrespect to them, if I was in my teens I'd be the same.

But what it does lead to is studying form and whether people can be bothered with it. When I was a teen, you'd have to ring up a premium tipping line if you wanted a tip from a pro (who were mainly just chancers and not pro's at all) or failing that you'd trust in Newsboy, Templegate, The Scout or Man On The Spot. Nowadays there are tipsters everywhere, many of which are very good, you don't need to do it yourself anymore, you can just rely on tips off the internet.

So I'm not sure that horse racing is a subject that's going to be heavily discussed like it use to be. The youngsters aren't going to seek the knowledge and the older one's will just keep recycling the same knowledge (I've said what I said earlier in the thread, many times before).

If I'm honest, I don't think anyone's really reading these threads anymore. I did some research not long ago and compared a number of years and the drop in contributions was quite staggering. It's a massive shame because there's a select few on here who deserve a greater audience.

Sign of the times though, I think.

meoldmate
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby meoldmate » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:28 pm

To be honest I bet on most races, I stay away from sellers as I feel they are poor races and I do tread carefully and try and spot a runner that is dropped into this class for a big show at good odds but 90% of the time I move away from.
Do like handicaps and trying to figure out the best and finding one that looks well handicapped to be a player and I have hit some big prices in doing so and like most players, fingers burnt too.

Everyone has a different take on racing and us punters will come up with a different selection for the one race.

As shrews stated, can take time to study form and wait for a horse you are following but most punters want a quick buck and a win and not wait and I can be like that sometimes.
Now I bet on line and not much in the bookies but in past days gone by, I would punt most races and greyhound races in between.

Now I go through the cards and select certain races.