Is the writing on the wall for OLBG....???

Robmull
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Re: Is the writing on the wall for OLBG....???

Postby Robmull » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:45 pm

I believe that buchanski has raised some very valid points, especially around the sharing of ideas and knowledge that will assist fellow punters to improve their techniques over time and the fact that the site is not always as current as it should be.

I am not supportive of OLBG recommending multiple bets, as they are generally considered to be bookmaker friendly, which seems to counter the OLBG ethos of 'Let's Beat The Bookmakers', however horage's idea for daily recommended wagers could be easily adapted to focus on the types of bet that the bookmakers hate, such as Each Way singles to nothing, Each Way doubles, value single bets, etc, which would provide significant impact, assuming the running strike rate and profit/loss figures were maintained on a daily basis and not allowed to become stale.

man o bong
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby man o bong » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:12 pm

There is no shame in admitting to a bit of gamesmanship when it comes to the competitions. I realise that it may not be conducive to a site that stands for ‘online betting guide’ and that people may be persuaded by a tipster comments that have no real substance. However, this is a site that aims to reign in new members with the promise of profitable daily four folds that have no records and the last evidence of a winner was 2016!

If the site really did want to become an online betting guide then it would have more articles about bank management, psychology of losing runs, keeping records, profitable angles or trialing new ideas/edges. Perhaps it does and the bloggers are doing a fine job but the first thing I see when I log on to the home page is a load of guff. Why is the most recent blog not pinned to the home page?

Out of interest how popular is the betting school? It looks to me like a lot of work has went into it.

Interestingly, I was going to answer the second paragraph of your post with a link to the betting school where much of the subjects mentioned are covered, but then you mention it in the last line..

Also within the blogs section, you will find numerous articles, on various strategies, and guides too. One example - https://www.olbg.com/blogs/index.php?c=47

If you check the 'by sports' menu in the blog section, you will find other categories as well as strategies that can be viewed. There is a huge amount of articles and content there for almost everyone
When you're told you can't do something, do it and prove them wrong

mantistoboggan
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby mantistoboggan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:33 pm

[/quote]

A certain trainer got knighted and one of his well known strategies was to run a middle distance horse in races under or at a mile, and then lo and behold over 1.5 miles it bolts in, look at Send up at Brighton on the 11th of September , a classic example, 2 runs a two year old, its first race as a three year old at a mile. Then Brighton

BTW i did post on the cost of owning a racehorse some time ago, it is nearer 2 thousand month for a flat horse..
[/quote]

If we're thinking about the same trainer here then he has a horse out in the 8.45 at Chelmsford that has been run under a mile and is now stepped up significantly in trip :shock:

meoldmate
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby meoldmate » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:00 pm

I EXPECT THE MEMBERS COULD GET ONE OR TWO OF THOSE accas UP EACH WEEK THAT MIGHT GENERATE some positive publicity for the site and it
I would be really surprised if this could be achieved, I try every Saturday and I am still working :D
Even followed one or two on here with them excelling with information and still cannot get a foursome, this is mythical stuff, that can come in once in a blue moon. (Maybe I am one of those, not to be a lucky one) :D

I have to agree with Robmull with the Each Way play, I have to be truthful here, I only play Each Way on the odd occasion, this is a thing I forget when playing a punt and after betting I remember, then I go in play, hoping to get a return if my selection is not running a race full of promise,

As Horage mentioned with this thread, plenty of good debate and only on OLBG you can get a good discussion, this shows that the members do care and enjoy this site.

DannyCraig
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby DannyCraig » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:21 am

well the posts on this thread show most of the members like the site
I think this is the problem I warned about - there's only been like 15 people comment on this thread & so it's easy to make incorrect assumptions based on what the views of people like yourself, Rob, Shrews, myself are (people who use the site & the forums regularly). Those who use the forums might agree with this but the 1000s who haven't are the views OLBG really need to hear from.
I'm sure OLBG have the info but I wonder what % of people who have registered have placed a "tip" on the site, and what % have posted on the forums. I'd imagine less than 1% have posted on the forums - I stand to be corrected of course.

Robmull
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Robmull » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:57 pm

Spot on DannyCraig, which is why I suggested that OLBG consider another member's survey, as it is probably the only way to get views from individuals who never venture on to the discussion forum, or don't feel inclined to post their thoughts.

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:54 pm

Fri 22nd Sept 2011 - 146 posts, 22,782 views (page 105)
Fri 21st Sept 2012 - 82 posts, 11,472 (page 85)
Fri 20th Sept 2013 - 123 posts, 20,236 (page 63)
Fri 19th Sept 2014 - 27 posts, 5936 (page 43)
Fri 18th Sept 2015 - 27 posts, 3977 (page 29)
Fri 16th Sept 2016 - 33 posts, 2724 (page 16)

Fri 22nd Sept 2017 - 3 posts, 269 views :shock:

Is there going to be a late flurry of activity discussing Dundalk or is there indeed something seriously wrong here?

Robmull
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Robmull » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:29 pm

Not much better today Shrews.

9 posts and only 376 views, although in slight mitigation, it probably didn't help that Ayr was abandoned, which would have hosted the Gold and Silver Cups and we were therefore unable to discuss the 2 biggest betting races of the day.

I read you Each Way Lucky 15/31 thread with interest and hope that you will continue with it next week.

Micko70
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Micko70 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:39 pm

9 posts and only 376 views, although in slight mitigation, it probably didn't help that Ayr was abandoned, which would have hosted the Gold and Silver Cups and we were therefore unable to discuss the 2 biggest betting races of the day.

I read you Each Way Lucky 15/31 thread with interest and hope that you will continue with it next week.

Totally agree with what Rob says, Shrews - is this Lucky 15 thread a daily or weekly thing?

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:25 pm

Just a weekly Saturday thing, just haven't got the time in the week.

We have some really good tipsters on here, which I don't really think OLBG makes the most of. For example:

- The winner of the last 2 Naps competitions (excellent) Peterb4 is only followed by two people. I would argue his tips are a wasted opportunity for the forum to showcase itself.

He is just one example of many.

In my view, a way of showcasing what is a shining light for this forum is to find a way of putting those skills together (truly, working together to beat the bookies, even if those tipsters don't know they are working together!).

Any computer techy person should be able to link 4 x 10/1+ naps from the top 20 in the Naps table then, if none, link from the Overall comp. It shouldn't really need me or anyone else to spend an hour or so on a Saturday morning to trawl through the tables when an autolink should be a relatively simple task.

What the forum then gives the viewing public is a well selected, well-reasoned, multi-bet, from the best tipsters around to win punters big money. One win would be the best marketing opportunity out there and streets ahead of the Daily 4-fold link which is quite possibly the worst (no apparent win since last year?)

Today's 'default' selections had a 14/1 winner, at treble the odds one winner 42/1 and therefore a small profit from a small stakes bet with an opportunity to win big. I believe many people are looking for this and agree with the poster above who says many are not that bothered about the 'obvious' short-prices on the 4-fold link which many can just find themselves.

The skills are found in finding the value, and the tipsters on here do that, and when they find something that's great value at a great price, they NAP it. So why not put them all together and give viewers something that's potentially extraordinary rather than hiding them away with just two or three people following them?

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:37 pm

Yep, but it's not just about how many are discussing, it's about how many are viewing too, and just looking at those Friday viewing stats from the last six years tells a pretty dismal tale. The alarm bells should've been ringing long ago.

If it continues as it is that trend will show less than 100 views on Friday next year and perhaps only two or three discussing anything.

mc1000
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby mc1000 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:34 pm

I have been following this thread with interest and cannot help but notice that of the 100+ posts on here there have only been some 36 people who have replied in total and of those only a handful who replied more than two or three times namely the regular contributors Robmull,The Executioner, Micko70, man o bong and Shrews etc and wondered whether this is down to the simple fact that people are not confident enough to post. This could also apply to the daily threads as it can be intimidating if you are nervous or feel you comments will be frowned upon there is no greater feeling than tipping one up in front of your peers but nothing worse than putting one up that runs a stinker (I should know ...lol).
The second factor is I can remember when the daily thread used to be posted early the night before so that the punters like myself who cannot access the site during the day could put there twopenneth in the night before. This is not a complaint (far from it) just a suggestion that possibly if you posted a bit earlier and had a novice punter event it might just get a few more people involved I was very hesitant when I first started (back in the day) but until my technical demise really got involved and enjoyed it.