Is the writing on the wall for OLBG....???

thegambler3700
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Re: Is the writing on the wall for OLBG....???

Postby thegambler3700 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:31 pm

I understand what Mc1000 is saying about putting the next days thread up the night before. I have came on the day of the races and theres been nothing on so have had to add it up about lunchtime. I shall try and post the next days thread up the night before if I can and hopefully some more people will post.

Do have to say though I dont think anyone will think any less if your horse wins or loses its always good to see other peoples thoughts. Ive certainly had my share of losers aswell as winners however as long as people can glean some information from what i write up and it helps people im happy with that.

mc1000
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby mc1000 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:52 pm

Even though I would not be able to join in at present due to technical issues I think the thegambler3700's offer of an early posting would be most helpful and my apologies as I think I may have worded the second part of my message incorrectly as I was certainly not implying that any members would think any less of the posts but that it might be the fear on the part of the person posting on the thread that this might be the case that would stop him or her posting. Hence the idea of having a novice event or competition for newcomers and first time posters once a week just to ease them in gently might be a intersting idea...most people have an opinion but may feel a little intimited when joining in threads where they feel out of there depth (I know I did when I first posted on here). Fortunately back in the day Micko70, meoldmate. davidg3907 and the others previously mentioned on my previous post were there to hold my hand..lol.

man o bong
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby man o bong » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:39 am

In my view, a way of showcasing what is a shining light for this forum is to find a way of putting those skills together (truly, working together to beat the bookies, even if those tipsters don't know they are working together!).

Any computer techy person should be able to link 4 x 10/1+ naps from the top 20 in the Naps table then, if none, link from the Overall comp. It shouldn't really need me or anyone else to spend an hour or so on a Saturday morning to trawl through the tables when an autolink should be a relatively simple task.

What the forum then gives the viewing public is a well selected, well-reasoned, multi-bet, from the best tipsters around to win punters big money. One win would be the best marketing opportunity out there and streets ahead of the Daily 4-fold link which is quite possibly the worst (no apparent win since last year?)

This is one of the problems, despite numerous mentions in member emails that have been set, it would seem Shrews you are oblivious to the tools the techy people have already put together for your use, using two examples, one relatively new, and one that has been available for years on site

The acca builder - https://www.olbg.com/my-acca/

Or the tips filters on the rght hand ide of this page - https://www.olbg.com/betting-tips/
When you're told you can't do something, do it and prove them wrong

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:02 pm

This is one of the problems, despite numerous mentions in member emails that have been set, it would seem Shrews you are oblivious to the tools the techy people have already put together for your use, using two examples, one relatively new, and one that has been available for years on site

The acca builder - https://www.olbg.com/my-acca/

Or the tips filters on the rght hand ide of this page - https://www.olbg.com/betting-tips/

But none of those options do what I've suggested for the forum?

1. They don't link to a page on the forum where people can just look 'at a glance' for a L15/Yankee from the best tipsters.
2. The menu does not include 'top tipsters in the Naps competition or Overall competition'. Although it could. It could also auto-link to a page on the forum.
3. Currently it's not marketable. The forum can't say the 'the top tipsters in the Naps competition selected a 2k winning 10p ew L15.'

EDHINO
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby EDHINO » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:15 pm

The growth from this post is unbelievable!

The original question was "Is the writing on the wall for OLBG....???"

The simple answer is NO!

A couple of bookies have now pulled out of funding some free bets. So what?

There is still lots on offer across the whole site spectrum, whether you want to get involved in serious forum discussion, take part in some of the fun forum challenges, tweet or facebook content, produce numerous blogs hoping to pick up your monthly £50 again, take the "parasitic" approach of having the audacity to actually try and win a table prize or simply following the advice of some of the numerous informed and successful tipsters: the choice is yours!

Some people like just reading advice /tips.
Some like trying to win the monthly cash prizes.
Some like tipping without commenting.
Some like blogging.
Some like pitting their wits against their peers for a tenner monthly prize.
Some like tweeting, posting on Facebook.
Some like a bit of banter on the various forums.
Some like writing massive posts on the forum of which some may like and some may find utterly boring.
Some like to suggest things that could make the site better.
Some like to suggest things that could make the world better.

Its not a bad site, is it?

man o bong
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby man o bong » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:13 am

👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆

Where's the 'like' button
When you're told you can't do something, do it and prove them wrong

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:35 pm

Its not a bad site, is it?
Yeah, it's not a bad site that's true, but could it be better (and is it getting worse) is what the thread has morphed into. It's good that a few people care enough to actually offer an opinion, but ultimately it's what the site owners want it to be.

If they're happy with it, then maybe nothing needs to change.

It'd be interesting to see whether they are happy with it and maybe this is where the thread should go from this point?

meoldmate
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby meoldmate » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:44 pm

Wow Edhino has sum it up perfectly, NOT A BAD SITE, actually A VERY GOOD SITE, everything you want and possibly a reward to follow, my thought, why change something that is not broken, because we lost a couple of free bets, everyone is up in arms and the plot has been lost, with what the question was first asked.

I like this too man o bong :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win:

thegambler3700
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby thegambler3700 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:23 pm

Edhino has summed it up perfectly. Although ive not been here as long as some this is one of the best sites ive been on lots of very knowledgeable people on all sports make it worthwhile to be on here

Maybe there is a way to settle this. Why not run a poll (if its easy to set up?) and asking members if they are happy or unhappy with the site and how they would change it if unhappy. Im sure there would be certain ways to alter things but the site for me doesnt need to be

As people know im usually on the racing part of it and find it run well enough. Yes people cant post and some days there wont be a lot of posts but people do have work and families. As for the competitions i treat them as fun yes theres better tipsters than me who like doing them to try and win and i say good luck to them but for me they are a bit of fun and if i get lucky enough to win its a bonus

DannyCraig
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby DannyCraig » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:26 pm

The thread has morphed away somewhat from the original question of whether OLBG can survive without affiliate income. I'm not sure anybody from OLBG has clarified this (but then again it's their business model to worry about not ours).

Whilst Edinho's right about how the site is great, I think it would be naive to think that certain parts of the site aren't more of a priority than others in terms of TPTB.

In a post-affiliate model, monetisation through other channels will be vital to allow the site to continue to be what it is, and the key to this is them having their behavioural analytics down. If the forum ultimately provides no revenues to the site, then don't expect it to be pushed over tipping competitions as much as we would want it to be.

redboy
Stallion
Tips

Postby redboy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:40 pm

From a logistical point of view I dont know what the answer is - can see it from both angles - revenue is needed but at what cost to the forums ?
I think regular bloggers ( Robmull etc) should be rewarded for their constant informative inputs - takes a lot of work to put that contribution in.
As far as the daily thread goes I think it is what is and we have to accept it for that - there is obviously more people interested in the money making competitions - and as they are not flouting any rules then fair enough - but its nice to have an interaction on the discussion thread. It may end up a handful of posts per day but the quality of posts are much better than the "Im on this in the next" followed by the occasional "boom".
OLBG has been and is an informative site and Ive made (I would like to think) some decent and informative "cyber" friends on here.
Lets keep the discussion thread going regardless because there is always an opinion / view that may point you towards something you may have overlooked.

As an aside please update the daily 4 fold link - its dated a year ago and the last comment ( albeit on social media) contains language that the site shouldn't be happy to endorse.(shauan magee - merry ******* christmas"

Robmull
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Robmull » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:10 pm

Perhaps the following is a true reflection of the worth of the discussion forum to OLBG management?

With just 48 hours before the first OLBG sponsored Mares’ Hurdle is scheduled to be run at Wetherby, there appears to no discussion thread for this specific race, or for the series of races in general, unlike previous years when if I recall correctly there was always a ‘pinned’ thread at the top of the main menu.

I appreciate that Saturday’s race has been selected for the £20 tipping comment competition for this weekend, but even then, at present the notice for this has been hidden away at the end of the following thread, which was set up to advise members how to obtain free tickers for Saturday’s race meeting at Whetherby, so I wonder how many members will be aware of this competition?

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=64785

Surely, OLBG management should at least try to get some detailed and informed discussions underway on the Horse Racing forum, bearing in mind that they are proud to sponsor these excellent Mares’ races, or are they really only interested in generating tweets and relatively short tipping competition comments (max 200 words) :?