Is the writing on the wall for OLBG....???

TeddyT
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Re: Is the writing on the wall for OLBG....???

Postby TeddyT » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:53 pm

Perhaps the following is a true reflection of the worth of the discussion forum to OLBG management?

With just 48 hours before the first OLBG sponsored Mares’ Hurdle is scheduled to be run at Wetherby, there appears to no discussion thread for this specific race, or for the series of races in general, unlike previous years when if I recall correctly there was always a ‘pinned’ thread at the top of the main menu.

I appreciate that Saturday’s race has been selected for the £20 tipping comment competition for this weekend, but even then, at present the notice for this has been hidden away at the end of the following thread, which was set up to advise members how to obtain free tickers for Saturday’s race meeting at Whetherby, so I wonder how many members will be aware of this competition?

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=64785

Surely, OLBG management should at least try to get some detailed and informed discussions underway on the Horse Racing forum, bearing in mind that they are proud to sponsor these excellent Mares’ races, or are they really only interested in generating tweets and relatively short tipping competition comments (max 200 words) :?

Hi Rob,

As you say the info regarding the £20 comment is on the forum and there is an email going out to all members tomorrow regarding that so I feel that is enough.

Regarding the race thread, you have a good point and our intention was to add a thread tomorrow but can I also point out that members such as yourself are free to start such threads whenever they wish.

I note you have quite a lot of negative comments to add lately so if you would like to send me a direct mail with any constructive suggestions you have for improvements I will gladly take a look and reply to you direct.

Thanks
OLBG Tipster Competition Manager

Robmull
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Robmull » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi TeddyT,

Thanks for your prompt response.

Perhaps my comments were rather too negative, if so I apologise.

However, it is a shame in my opinion that the first notification of the tipping competition was posted on an existing thread which related to the acquisition of free tickets, rather than being given its own titled thread, which would probably have increased members advanced awareness of the competition, albeit tomorrow’s email should generate plenty of interest and hopefully some brilliant tipping comments.

I fully appreciate your comment that any member could have initiated a forum thread for Saturday’s race and on many occasions I have undertaken this process for big races and horse racing festivals, however I personally felt that in doing so for OLBG sponsored events, there was a danger that I would be treading on OLBG management’s toes, especially as I was not aware of what was planned to generate interest in Saturday’s race and the series in general - if I recall correctly, I believe that fellow member Shrews suggested a forum competition covering all of the races this season and I certainly didn’t want to potentially undermine any plans by initiating a parallel thread.

Setting up a discussion thread tomorrow, will hopefully generate plenty of interest, but great benefit may be derived if this thread had been set up at the 5 day entry stage, rather than waiting for Friday, which for many of us is the start of a busy weekend, so some members may not get much time to contribute - not intended as a criticism, but perhaps an opportunity to exploit next time.

I will send you a pm next week with a few ideas, albeit I doubt that I can add much to the various ideas of members (including a few of my own) which have already been posted in some detail on this thread.

I still believe that OLBG is great, but perhaps there are some opportunities to make it even better.

All the best.

Rob.

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:46 pm

So, are there any changes planned for the new year that we can all get excited about?

It appears OLBG is dead and buried as a horse racing discussion website, although still seems strong in terms of competition participants, so what's the plan going forward? More of the same or some sort of re-invention to resurrect discussion?

I'm happy enough to just keep playing the comps with the odd contribution as discussion can be had elsewhere, but the forum may have other ideas and it'd be interesting to know what these are. This particular thread should've provided food for thought, so I'm guessing we're due an announcement of sorts on what the way forward is.

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:51 pm

I wish I knew the answer Shrews, I've tired really hard this week but it seems getting any discussion going is tough. I do think part of the issue is with social media (and the recent increase in character limit by Twitter) that people can use a fast moving social media platform like that and it's easily accessible from their phone or tablet.

If people who are lurking or thinking about posting were prepared to give discussion on the forum a chance I think it would bring more people out but at the same time people can't be forced.

As a moderator, I do know there are discussions and feedback going on in the background so hopefully some positive happenings can come soon.
Grand National - Pinstickers Guide Blog

I am raising money for Cancer Research in memory of my wife. If you would like to help please follow the link below:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/juliebrophy

Micko70
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Micko70 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:59 pm

I wish I knew the answer Shrews, I've tired really hard this week but it seems getting any discussion going is tough. I do think part of the issue is with social media (and the recent increase in character limit by Twitter) that people can use a fast moving social media platform like that and it's easily accessible from their phone or tablet.

If people who are lurking or thinking about posting were prepared to give discussion on the forum a chance I think it would bring more people out but at the same time people can't be forced.

As a moderator, I do know there are discussions and feedback going on in the background so hopefully some positive happenings can come soon.
I can echo Gman's comments.

As moderators we are encouraged to open discussion, so last night i opened a discussion thread on the World Cup, the same as the draw was made for the biggest footballing in the world and as i type this we have had just 23 views and no comments.

We cannot force people to comment, but when OLBG offer £25 for a last man standing competition, the entire site post as it's free cash

Rodeo
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby Rodeo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:42 pm

Shame really but how about limit entries into the Free comps,by adding they must have made so many posts too be able join,maybe we see more posting in discussion that way.

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:12 pm

Shame really but how about limit entries into the Free comps,by adding they must have made so many posts too be able join,maybe we see more posting in discussion that way.
I think all that does is stop people compteting in the comps. Again, people can't be forced. It'sdown to people making an effort. I have days where I barely post either because I'm not betting, not looking or whatever but I think a lot of people don't post either because they worry their thoughts will be ignored or taken to task and I'd like to think that's not the case.
Grand National - Pinstickers Guide Blog

I am raising money for Cancer Research in memory of my wife. If you would like to help please follow the link below:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/juliebrophy

Robmull
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Robmull » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:21 pm

The overriding incentive for members to get involved appears to be the chance to win money, which I guess is no surprise as the site is geared to betting.

It is a shame that fewer members are prepared to share their thoughts for free on the discussion forum and the current position regarding payments for blogs has skewed the focus towards the EPL, but that appears to be the latest OLBG strategy.

I have decided to significantly reduce my input to the forum and time spent writing blogs and will will use my ‘spare’ time to play the competitions and hopefully have a bit of fun securing a few prizes.

titans choice
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby titans choice » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:41 pm

It is a shame that fewer members are prepared to share their thoughts for free on the discussion forum and the current position regarding payments for blogs has skewed the focus towards the EPL, but that appears to be the latest OLBG strategy.

I have decided to significantly reduce my input to the forum and time spent writing blogs and will will use my ‘spare’ time to play the competitions and hopefully have a bit of fun securing a few prizes.

It is a shame you will be cutting down on your blogs as they were very good but good luck in the comps.

Robmull
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Robmull » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:11 pm

Thanks for your kind comment titans choice, but it is a sign of the times.

I will continue to post update blogs in respect of the VALUE CALCULATOR and perhaps a few one offs on other topics, but I doubt that I will write the trends based articles for the big races in future.

All he best.

Rob.

DAVIDADAN
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby DAVIDADAN » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:36 am

I’m personally not sure this weekly racing thread is as popular as a daily racing thread was? I must have missed something previously, but why was it introduced? For a busy Monday of fairly average but decent racing there’s nothing happening in the days discussion, I’ve posted 8 fancies which I’ve sound reasoning in my tips, generating little discussion. This is a far cry from not so long back when there were usually 2 or 3 pages if not more. Not everyone has the time to scroll through a 7 days of racing weekly thread also valuable info can be overlooked. Of course we accept that in advance of a major meeting / festival that type of thread does generate discussion. Are people focusing on tip comments more and not interested in discussion or debate? If so why is that? What do others think?

DAVIDADAN
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby DAVIDADAN » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:13 pm

Not everyone has the time to scroll through a 7 days of racing weekly thread also valuable info can be overlooked.
I note we now have another thread for Xmas period ante post? Ok that’s fine but surely with the sheer volume of racing on Boxing Day alone, valuable info will inevitably be overlooked?

Uk Racing Boxing Day
Fontwell Park
Huntingdon
Kempton Park
Market Rasen
Sedgefield
Wetherby
Wincanton
Wolverhampton
Then there’s the Irish meetings to include.

Then on 27th Dec

Chepstow
Kempton Park
Wetherby
Wolverhampton + Irish cards.

Split threads would probably be more user friendly. Anyone else agree?