What question would you like to ask someone in Horse Racing?

ian0318
Classic Winner
Tips

What question would you like to ask someone in Horse Racing?

Postby ian0318 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:45 am

if you were able to ask someone a question from someone in the racing industry what would it be?

TDawgTipping
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby TDawgTipping » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:04 am

What are the defined limits of running a horse "to its merits"?

I've seen a number of instances where jockeys have dropped their hands when they are not going to win and this has resulted in the horse losing its position for a place return. I can give a very specific example of horse and race for this (speaking out of my pocket), where the horse lost at least 5 lengths over the last furlong of a race because the jockey dropped his hands. To me, this indicates not running a horse to its merits, but nothing was said about it. My current understanding is that a horse has to be detached in last and stay on under minimal pressure, or be miles in front and lose the race.

For the record, I don't have a problem with jockeys dropping their hands if it is not defined within these limits - the injustice comes when you feel they are racing within unwritten rules that the public isn't necessarily partial to.

geordieracer
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby geordieracer » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:23 am

I would like to ask the people running the bha why running a declared pacemaker does not breach the rules of running a horse on its merits.

jhon234
2yo
Tips

Postby jhon234 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:47 am

Why cant bookmakers give none runner no bet each week for the next weeks big race they do it for Cheltenham each year

dawn091072
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby dawn091072 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:56 pm

Can I have a job please :D desperate to work in the racing industry

horage
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby horage » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:49 pm

how do bookmakers keep a straight face when every week ;week after week
most of the non runners come out in big fields so they dont have to pay three or four places .

It happens far too often for it to be just one of those things that happens in racing...

the introduction of reserves like they do in ireland would help to solve the
problem .

or bookies pay the place dividends as per morning race card regardless
of the number of non runners......

I have a strong suspicion if that was the rule ; the number of non runners would drop dramatically........

A FAIR DEAL FOR E.W. PUNTERS.............

pumpdaball
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby pumpdaball » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:17 pm

any horserace that starts with a tape across the track is going to end up unfair to someone or some horse in the race, it's prehistoric, and its way past the time that something better was introduced, whats wrong with horses starting from stalls in all races, flat, NH, whatever, where's the problem. at least it would give them all a proper starting line, instead of the starter letting races off at tracks all over the country. on a basis that has the attitude it's near enough. some horses lose races by small margins and if you look at replays they are unprepared or facing sideways when the starter lets them go. as for jockeys dropping hands etc, and not positioning the horse with any sort of chance, all you can know is that if human influence can alter anything, then you would be naieve to think its not influenced.

Horses that are in races more as a training exercise should not be in the betting. there is a ton of room for improvement. does anyone care? we will be led to believe they do. but no there is a lot of money changing hands on these sort of disadvantaged runners. Racing needs cleaning up and put into proper perspective in relation to Non Runners. Field sizes. for example why 3 places on 8 horse races and only 4 places on 16 horse races, what happened to the other 2. why not 6 places on16 horse races its twice 8 with 3. the whole thing is a sham. and of course we put up with it day in day out. if we all backed only races with 8 runners ew. and boycotted any bigger fields they would not be long offering more places. its a good post. and surely lots of punters must see this is not all ridiculous blah blah blah.. we should demand a fairer deal in horseracing. full stop...
"Drain all the water off this planet and we are all sharing the same piece of ground"

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:38 pm

Do all handicappers in your yard have a 'target race' that they are aimed at in each season and if so, how many races do you aim to lose to get the handicap mark down in preparation for the target race?

richard99cook
Listed Class
Tips

Postby richard99cook » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:16 pm

[Amusing or not, deleted. Serious discussion only please]

balewonder999
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby balewonder999 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:02 pm

why is there no 2m4f grade 1 race at cheltenham?

The likes of oscar whisky rip and rock on ruby have been crying out for an intermediatry hurdles race.

There is over fences

balewonder999
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby balewonder999 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:02 pm

me again.

why 1/5 odds on Each Way betting ???

balewonder999
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby balewonder999 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:05 pm

for the handicapper