Re: One A Day DECEMBER Race 1 (1st to 14th)

ejanbow
Stallion
Tips

Postby ejanbow » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:09 pm

ONE A DAY DECEMBER 2021 RACE 1(1st to 14th)

Hello and welcome to the One A Day competition for November. Regular runners will have a good idea of how this works already but for maiden runners and for those with plenty of experience please read on as there are a couple of subtle changes this month.

How It Works

Nothing has changed in terms of how we run the race. They'll be two races each month. The first will run from the 1st day of the month to the 15th with the second running from the 16th of the month to the last day of the month. Each day a race will be nominated and you are asked to provide a selection for this race. You must also give reasons for your selection but please note the following as this is crucial:

Anyone who doesn't put in the effort and writes something like "I fancy X to win because he is white and they are faster", "I like his name", "my friend told me so" etc. etc. won't be considered nor will any copy + pasting from other sites. YOU MUST INCLUDE AT LEAST 4 SEPARATE POINTS ON WHY YOU FANCY THE HORSE.

You need to make this reasoning at least 30 words but feel free to be as detailed as you like.

Please also note the following information:
- Do not edit your post once made.
- If your selection is a non-runner you can select again but please do this in a separate post.
- You can post a backup selection in case your first selection is a non-runner and you don't believe you'll be able to update your selection in the case of a non-runner. However, if your first selection runs then that is the one that will be scored.
- Failing to post a selection will see you not scored for that race. You can PM myself or another member to post on your behalf but again, the selection must be posted before the race starts.
- On the last race day if the competition is tight those in contention can PM me their selections and I'll hold them until the race starts. If I'm involved then I'll ask for a neutral to step forward and hold the selections until the off. This is so copying a fellow runners selection to assure the win/place is avoided.
- If a day's nominated race is on a card that is abandoned we will have two races the following day. If this occurs on the last day of the race we'll run an extra race the following day whilst also starting a new competition.

Selecting Races - Back to one thread (for each race)

After discussions with regular runners in our races via PM it's clear that the thread a day isn't too popular and that you would all like some input in picking races so we'll revert back to one thread for picks and you can all have input in picking races. I've started the new thread (we'll do a thread for race 1 then a new thread for race 2 so it's easier for me to trace back for selections as I score up the races). I will usually pick the first race and the Saturday races but feel free to offer a race up if I seem to be taking my time.

I reserve the right to void a race if circumstances significantly change the dynamics of the race - ie, multiple late withdrawn horses significantly reducing the field (below 6 runners).

Hope that makes sense, any questions ask here or PM me.

Please note, when selecting races, please refrain from MAIDENS/NOVICE events including BEGINNER CHASES as these can be difficult in placing a reasoning to. Handicaps and higher class races (listed, graded or group) are preferred but please try to find a race with a competitive sized field.

Scoring

We score as in previous months:
1st = 30pts + 5x SP
2nd = 20pts + 3x SP
3rd = 10pts + 2x SP
4th = 4pts + 1 x SP
5th = 1pts + 1 x SP

To encourage people to look away from favourites as well there will be bonus points for the price of the horse as shown above. This means that if someone picks a 2/1 horse that wins they will get 40pts (30 for winning and then 5 times 2/1 is 10 -> 30+10=40) while if someone picks a 10/1 shot that comes second they will get 50pts (20+30=50).

Please note, scores will be rounded up to one decimal place from January's second race!

Dead heats - the points of the places are added together and divided by the number that dead heated. i.e. if 1st place is a dead heat then both 1st placed will get 25 pts (30+20pts) and x4 SP (5+3/2 = 4).

Results and leaderboard
I will update this thread with race results and they'll be contained in the post directly after this one and an updated leaderboard. I hope to do this every three days and daily towards the end of the race but please be patient as occasionally life will get in the way of me doing this promptly.

In the event of any ties for prizes, the tied runners will be split by their highest scoring selection for the month, regardless of actual finishing position (ie, a 1st place scoring 100 pts does not outrank a 2nd place scoring 120 pts).

Please also check your scores. Mistakes do happen, I am only human. I keep the scores on a Excel spreadsheet (which I can access from my home and work so it's easy for me to keep it updated). Any scoring queries please PM myself rather than posting in either this thread or one of the daily selection threads.

PRIZES

Those generous powers that be at OLBG are offering up cash prizes for the runners and riders:
1st place overall - £10
2nd place overall - £5

***Player with the highest combined score over both races in a month who has not already won a prize £5 ***

If you know anyone interested in taking part or you've been a long time viewer of the forum who hasn't been inclined - for whatever reasons - to post much before please come and have a go, it is great fun, costs nothing and you can win real cash!! Take a look through previous month races/threads to see

Not quite the fast start we had last race but in saying that Underdogslover has got off to a flying start scoring on all three days including a good winner on the middle day. Joint 2nd place are Attitude Adjuster and Jamma001 who both got the same winner as Underdogslover.

Good luck all :win:

Supermack44 has taken the lead courtesy of two winners with Attitude Adjuster in 2nd after the winner on the second day and a 4th on the third. Nobody scored on all three days and the highest scorer was Samm74 with the 100/1 5th on the third day, brave woman going for 100/1 but it worked, hope you took extra places. It seems to be a race of two halves with the top half bounding away and the bottom half floundering in the mud, mine have not made it past 7th place in any race these last three days.

I am really sorry but I lost a day somewhere this week :lose: , said I needed a break but here is the updated chart.

The leader has changed for the third time this race with Bowhillbear taking over from 2nd place Supermack44 but it is a tight race again with 71.2 separating the top four and only 42 points between the top three. Top scoring horse on the four days was selected by the top two players and only Delboy980 scored on all three days with Underdogslover also scoring on the first three days.

All change at the top with the three top players shuffling about with Supermack44 regaining his lead after selecting today's top scoring horse with Underdogslover in 2nd place after he got the winner today. Still too close to shout with only 38.5 points separating the top 3. Scratville got the highest scoring horse of the two days which was Coole Cody the 12/1 winner yesterday.

The lead has changed yet again with Underdogslover taking over from Supermack44 after being the only one of the top three to score today. Still very tight at the top and looks like going to the line.

Wow!! What a finish with two of the top three scoring good points but Underdogslover just held off Bowhillbear who scored with a 33/1 3rd place but not quite enough to pass Underdogslover who had the 10/1 2nd so congratulations and well done go to Underdogslover who scored in 11 of the 14 races including 2 winners and 2 highest scores and to Bowhillbear who scored on 7 of the 14 days including 1 winner and 3 highest scores. Meoldmate also got the 3rd placed horse and Steenie1 the winner today.

Good luck all in the next race and thank you for entering the race :win:
Last edited by ejanbow on Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ejanbow
Stallion
Tips

Postby ejanbow » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:15 pm

As there is no racing on the 23rd, 24th and 25th rather than searching for second races some days especially as the weather is a bit iffy and I am busy we shall have shorter races this month only of 14 days each.

For our first outing of the new race we shall go to:-

3:20 HAYDOCK
CHILLBLAST HANDICAP HURDLE (Class 3)
16 runners

samm74
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby samm74 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:54 pm

Well played Nov race 2 winners and thank you Jan :D

ENERMY COAST AHEAD

Won a trio of novice hurdles over the summer-final one by 20L
Then underwent wind surgery and reappeared in April,well supported 10/3
Unplaced in that run which was up in grade to Cl2 and also maybe needed the run after 8months
Jockey in good form, Olly Murphy yard continues to go well

Dicky
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Dicky » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:40 pm

Quest For Life
Distance winner who finished 3rd last time out 18 days ago
finishing behind Earlofthecotswolds who won last Saturday.
Lost 2nd close home there over 2m 3f 164yds so the bit less
2m 2f 191yds today should suit. Has wins on good and soft so
underfoot conditions not a problem under usual jockey.

flitty
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby flitty » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:47 pm

Haydock 320

Grizzly James.

In form Venetia Williams trained whose horses are usually good stayers and like cut in the ground. He will get both here today after a nice pipe opener at Carlisle . Won a race in France before coming over here and ran also very well in two other french races. He will be fit and will run a big race here today hopefully.

Will Teasle
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby Will Teasle » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:03 pm

Haydock 3.20
THE BRIMMING WATER makes his handicap debut for Samuel Drinkwater whose last two runners have won.
The Brimming Water won a big field maiden hurdle on the galloping track at Fairyhouse in March and was noted quickening on the soft ground.
On his first outing for Samuel Drinkwater he was beaten by a Nicky Henderson trained evens favourite. That was on good ground on the sharp track at Warwick and he may be seen to better effect back on today's galloping track with the going riding soft.
By Yeats, this gelding is brother to the useful winning jumper West Cork Wildway who achieved a much higher level of form when winning 13 days ago.
Leading rider Sam Twiston-Davies retains the ride on what may be an underrated lightly-raced contender who has improved dramatically this year.

bowhillbear
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby bowhillbear » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:26 pm

Thanks again Jan, 2 x 14 sounds good. Well done winners last time.

3.20 Haydock - Osprey Call

Lightly raced, fell when running well after a very long break at Newbury last week. His regular jockey rides again today, and he has finished in the first two twice from 4 starts over hurdles. He has won over hurdles and a Bumper from 2 miles to 2 miles 1 furlong, and handles soft ground well too.

rondetto
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby rondetto » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:55 pm

ThemeTune.
this horse is nicely bred for hurdles and looked like improving novice till stepped up to 3 miles where he weakened late on, adding cheek pieces on and dropping back again he could go really well here, he does need to improve to win this but there is every possibility.

attitude adjuster
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby attitude adjuster » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:17 am

Goobinator

Goobinator fell last time but was in the process of running a very good race when doing so three out at Bangor and might well have gone very close in that.He has won one of his two runs at this track and the trainer has been in very good form to start this season.He was very good in the flat as well this year and has some strong form on the flat,if jumping soundly here he should go very close.

jammat001
Stallion
Tips

Postby jammat001 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:00 am

HAYDOCK 3.20 GOOBINATOR

This D McCain Jnr trained gelding is more than decent on the flat and he has won three hurdle races from two miles to two miles one furlong on soft and heavy ground so after falling three out when going well un his latest start over two miles three furlongs at Bangor-On-Dee won by the Olly Murphy trained Hunters Call so if his jumping holds up he should be in the mix today under B S Hughes

igorukr
At Stud
Tips

Postby igorukr » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:13 am

Well done November races winners and thank you Jan

THE BRIMMING WATER

There's a clear favourite in this race, but I prefer to pick the lochs with the higher odds. The Brimming Water represents Samuel Drinkwater's stable, which has had excellent statistics of late. The Brimming Water has one win and one second place in 5 races held. The win was obtained in the spring in Ireland and the second place during his debut for the current stable at Warwick. The experienced and successful Sam Twiston-Davies will be in the saddle today

Scratville
Stallion
Tips

Postby Scratville » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:27 am

Scarpia

From a stable that historically do well at this time of year, stable jockey rides in preference to shorter priced runner. Won a half decent Novice event at Fontwell, the second has gone well since and the third won off 120. Last run can be excused on faster ground as all best form is on Soft, entitled to improve on handicap debut, nice price at 16's.
Horse Racing One A Day Winner April 11
Horse Racing One A Day Winner July 11
Football One A Day Winner Sept 11
NFL Handicap Challenge Winner Oct 11
Horse Racing One A Day Winner Dec 11
Football One A Day Winner May 13