Premier League 16/17 Sack Race

monkeytennis
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Premier League 16/17 Sack Race

Postby monkeytennis » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:26 am

The sack race is one of the biggest betting markets of the season these days with so many managerial casualties throughout the season. Even those who have only just been appointed aren't guaranteed the job until Christmas and it can be just as profitable trading this market as backing outright.

Without looking at the market this would be my order of vulnerability:

Allardyce - Looks a shoe in for the England job now so expect someone like Moyes to come in and last the season at least.

Pardew - Steve Parish will be very concerned if Palace start this season as badly as they ended last season. Pardew can be a volatile character so he's unlikely to appreciate it if his ability to get Palace performing is questioned by his owner.

Karanka - Steve Gibson is one of the most loyal chairmen around but Karanka pretty much quit last season before changing his mind and it's conceivable the pressure could get to him if Boro start the season poorly.

Mazzarri - Surely the most under pressure of the newly appointed managers. Watford are not far behind Leeds in terms of keeping hold of managers and Mazzarri has to adapt to a new club and new league and get these players performing quickly.

Guidolin - Seemed to steady the ship at Swansea last season but Swansea were pretty ruthless in getting rid of Monk so he isn't completely safe.

Pulis - It's all about results for Pulis and if he stops getting them the fans could turn on him pretty quickly. The board must know they have one of the best managers for keeping a club in the division though.

Bruce - Survived one relegation with Hull so it seems unlikely he'd get sacked just because they are struggling early on. He's proved he can bring them back up too.

Dyche - Exactly the same sentiments as Bruce. Likely to be a Sunderland target though so if Allardyce does go to England as expected his odds to be the next manager to go after Allardyce could tumble.

Hughes - Seems to have turned Stoke around in terms of how the club is viewed and what type of football they play. Their form did tail off a bit towards the end of the season but Stoke aren't a club who change manager unnecessarily.

Bilic - The fans and owners seem to love him and expectations will be realistic enough this season. Payet looks like he's staying and the main problem might be if a big job becomes available abroad as he could be tempted to go - but those jobs are unlikely to come up in the first few months of the season.

Puel - I know little about him but Southampton have proved themselves to be a very well run club when it comes to recruitment of both players and managers so it would be a surprise if the new man was shown the door early this season.
Howe - Bournemouth outperformed expectations once again last season and the board must know they have a very good young manager on their hands. Clubs can panic when they are struggling but they'd surely have to be a show in for relegation for the board to consider a change and other managers will surely go before he does.

Ranieri - Obviously generated a huge amount of goodwill last year but his stock his high so he could be poached, he might get the hump if his best players are sold and what would the board do if they were in the bottom 3 after 8 games?

Koeman - Just appointed and likely to get a decent transfer budget to spend. Kenwright is a pretty patient manager and immediate success won't be expected.

Conte - Abramovich isn't afraid to get rid of managers but expectations will be slightly reduced after such a poor season last year and signs from Italy's Euro campaign were pretty positive about the impact he can make.

Pochettino - Hard not to give him plenty of leeway after last season and balancing PL football with CL will be easier than it was with the EL.

Klopp - Just signed a new 6 year contract and expectations won't be so high that he's sacked if not in the top 4 come November.

Mourinho - Only just appointed and Man Utd can't continue to sack managers after getting through Moyes and Van Gaal in 3 years.

Guardiola - Man City will have moved heaven and earth to get him here and with an almost unlimited cheque book he's not going to be walking out any time soon.

So who would you make favourite in the sack race and presuming Allardyce goes who will be leaving after him?

sofaking
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby sofaking » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:00 pm

Hughes and Bilic are both looking shaky right now. Think Hughes will be next to be fired.

richmiester
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby richmiester » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:02 pm

I don't think Bilic will be in trouble of the sack just yet. If Stoke lose to West Brom this weekend then I think Hughes been under a lot of pressure. Francesco Guidolin @ 4.50 is one I have got an eye on. Man City the weekend for Swansea and I expect Man City to beat them comfortably which could see him on the brink.
Twitter: richwarner123

iantendo
2yo
Tips

Postby iantendo » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:32 am

I agree I think if Stoke don't turn it around Hughes will be gone by Christmas.

richmiester
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby richmiester » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:16 pm

Seen Francesco Guidolin has dropped to evens to be the next to go. Media been reporting past couple of days linking Giggs and Coleman to the job, think a bad defeat against Man City the weekend and it be hard to see him staying.
Twitter: richwarner123

ibfm23
Group 1 Class
Betting Blog Tips

Re: Premier League 16/17 Sack Race

Postby ibfm23 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:23 am

What do you guys think about Ranieri and Karanka? Will they make it until the end?

What about Allardyce? His magic doesn't really seem to be working at Palace with a 2-2-6 WDL record.

Is Pardew still on contract with the Eagles? In Italy for example it is common that managers are recalled after being sacked since they would still be on contract. Technically the owners would have asked them not to report to work.

Big Sam is at 17 to be the next manager to leave the post with Coral. Paddy Power are not so certain though and have him at 9.

UnderdogsLover
Stallion
Tips

Postby UnderdogsLover » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:18 am

It has to be Ranieri :win: getting worse each week.
Hull will be above the soon :cool: , with fine win against Liverpool.

Never thought this going happen, after last season.

ibfm23
Group 1 Class
Betting Blog Tips

Postby ibfm23 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:56 pm

I would agree under normal circumstances, but after last year's epic I think they won't sack him so easily. I really like him and deep down I hope they can go into a good period to save his job.

Micko70
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Micko70 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:22 pm

Its not all about sacking though, not sure if Ranieri has ever been relegated, if not and nobody gets sacked, then he could chuck it if they drop into the relegation zone, which could happen pretty soon

sofaking
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby sofaking » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:39 pm

I think Fat Sam will eventually get it right and keep Palace up. He also had a similarly poor start to his Sunderland career but then went on a good run to keep them up. Ranieri should've walked away after winning the title. It was always going to go downhill from there. :eyebrows:

KanKeano
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby KanKeano » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:21 pm

What do you guys think about Ranieri and Karanka?
Boro were very negative against us on Saturday. I understand teams arriving at WHL with a defensive mindset but there was little ambition above getting a point. Gibson seems a very patient chap but Karanka strikes me as someone who 'puts his foot it'.

The Leicester owners are very ambitious. Ranieri deserves to see the season out but will the owners get worried if they continue to lose. No amount of loyalty is going to save you if you're managing the club abck down to the Championship. If their league position has not improved byt the time Seville knock them out of the Champions Lge I think they'll get shut then (Middle of March?)

I expect Palace to at least see out the season under Allardyce. Are they going to get a more experienced coach who knows how avoid relegation? Doubt it. The result Saturday did him little favour but he didn't get Sunderland playing until the final weeks of last season. I expect Palace to survive by the skin of their teeth.

Whatever happens it's going to be a humdinger of a relegation battle now. You have Bournemouth, Leicester and Palace who are struggling to any form whilst Hull, Sunderland and Swansea look to be coming into form.
OLBG Moderator

Twitter | KanKeano_OLBG

Owner of KanKeano Bears | SUPERBOLBG
AFC Conference Champions Season 5
AFC South Champions Season 3, 4 & 5

sofaking
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby sofaking » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:01 pm

Ranieri has to go if Leicester are to stay up. He already would've been fired had he not won the title last season.