Ante Post Horse Racing

monkeytennis
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Ante Post Horse Racing

Postby monkeytennis » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:13 am

How do you approach ante post betting on horses? Does value on the race increase or decrease as the race draws closer?

Ante Post Horse Racing

Think this Betting School lesson needs anything else added to it? Disagree with anything written above? Let us know your thoughts and your insight could be included in the OLBG Betting School!

nors
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby nors » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:22 am

Posted by new member Alexanderbruce

With all the hype surrounding ante post markets for the forthcoming classics what are peoples opinions of ante post betting? Years ago I found it quite easy to get odds on an unraced two year old yet now with advent of internet with so much knowledge in the public domain some of the odds are unreal......For example I have backed Australia for the Derby 10/1 and Guineas at 8/1 now as short as 5/2 for the former just on media coverage. I asked for a price on an unraced 2 year old of Gosden's for next years Guineas quoted 20/1!!! What are other people's opinion? This is my first forum post so apologies if its not set out correctly

monkeytennis
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby monkeytennis » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:26 pm

There is undoubtedly value to be had in ante post markets but punters have to be more aware these days. Bookies will shorten anything with any hype surrounding it and won't necessarily lengthen other contenders. It's important to look at the overall book percentage on ante post markets to make sure it's worth getting involved in.

An example of this would be when fairly big handicaps are priced up around a week before the race. The book percentage will often be shocking and unless the ante post favourite ends up not running a lot of the time you'll get better odds after the final decs - and you won't lose your money then if the horse ends up not running.

Probably the best thing to ask yourself when backing ante post is "Will this be popular with other punters?" You may fancy it but if others don't then you'll probably get better odds closer to the race. Favourites for the classics, presuming they run, will most likely start a fair bit shorter than they are now but we are yet to see all the trials so it can be a dangerous game, but also a rewarding one.