Keeping Betting Records

monkeytennis
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Keeping Betting Records

Postby monkeytennis » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:10 pm

Can you still make a profit from betting without keeping records? Are punters who don't keep records throwing money down the drain? If you don't keep records why do you choose not to?

Keeping Betting Records

Think this Betting School lesson needs anything else added to it? Disagree with anything written above? Let us know your thoughts and your insight could be included in the OLBG Betting School!

MLT822
2yo
Tips

Postby MLT822 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:55 pm

I think some of the bettors keep records when they are winning,but most of them when they are in a loosing streak they just ignore most of their records just to catch up for the loss.keeping records could come in handy,you could see your strong and weakest pt.or in what game a bettor is winning. 1 to 2 months of records could not be that realiable,but 1 year of betting record could set a more profit in your next bet.

MLT822
2yo
Tips

Postby MLT822 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:02 pm

I think some of the bettors keep records when they are winning,but most of them when they are in a loosing streak they just ignore most of their records just to catch up for the loss.keeping records could come in handy,you could see your strong and weakest pt.or in what game a bettor is winning. 1 to 2 months of records could not be that realiable,but 1 year of betting record could set a more profit in your next bet.

the runner
Handicapper
Tips

Postby the runner » Sat May 17, 2014 9:32 am

Very important to keep records of your bets.i have over 40yrs of records.thro time some types of bets have been stopped and you soon find the best type of sport ( horseracing for me ) to bet on to give you the best long term profit.
For me I can make a profit on Novice Hurdles Win Only.

logical1
2yo
Tips

Postby logical1 » Fri May 15, 2015 7:17 am

Any one who bets regulary ( not the Grand national and Derby once a year) with out keeping records has to lose - they they cannot prove other wise

Bonp3re
Unraced
Tips

Postby Bonp3re » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:44 am

I started betting for fun, with small amounts, lost money, made all the usual mistakes, learnt from mistakes, took a year off betting... Thing is, I made so much when I returned without the benefits of record keeping as I rode win after win. Mostly accumulators. I know this because my bookmaker kept records and I wanted to review how much I\'d staked over time and how much I\'d withdrawn.
It\'s bad advice not to keep records and I was only lucky because I was disciplined, a trait you need to keep records in the first place. Now, I know better.

toadie21
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby toadie21 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:24 am

I agree keeping betting record is a must. It shows your profit or loss and also shows your strengths and weaknesses.
Its also very useful for keeping tabs on your spending and keeping yourself within your budget. This way you can keep some of your betting pot to 1 side during quite weeks to build a bigger betting pots for busier weeks.

Shanelangan90
2yo
Tips

Postby Shanelangan90 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:54 pm

Hi guys, first post here and I really like the site.

How are people tracking their bets? I have been tracking mine via excel spreadsheet but I am just looking to improve how I track my bets, any advice would be appreciated.

Callingnumber6
Group 3 Class
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Callingnumber6 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:05 pm

It is very very easy to keep records when your winning, much much harder when losing. And what can't speak can't lie. If you don't keep records you can't know your own strengths and weaknesses. I only discovered my strengths (3yo group class fillies and 2m chasers oddly) about 6 years ago after painstakingly keeping records for about 15 years. And this was after about 10 years of haphazard record keeping. Obviously as computing has progressed record keeping is much easier with direct account downloads to xl possible.
Ultimately the business of making money comprises exciting bits and dull bits. Most gamblers crave the excitement and ignore the dull; lets be honest whats not to like about nipping down the shop and having a lump on one we fancy? Win or lose we get 'the buzz'. But in reality we should be looking at the 80:20 rule (or maybe 90:10?????) - 80% dull boring nonsense like record keeping and 20% actually having a go.
Can I also point out that a 6% return on investment is exceptionally good? That means for every 1000 pounds you invest you will get 1060 pounds back whatever your base stake! You can only know this by keeping records.