Formula One - Hungary Race Weekend

davidjwest
Group 3 Class
Tips

Formula One - Hungary Race Weekend

Postby davidjwest » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:18 pm

OK so we move to Budapest to the tight and twist Hungaroring for the next race, the last one before the summer break.

It is not going to suit Mercedes at all, unless it rains. Thunderstorms are forecast however!

If dry this will be interesting as I think Red Bull may have the best car for the track, Ferrari will be there or thereabouts.

Good value if you want to go for an early bet, Vettel is 2.87, Verstappen 4.0 and Ricciardo 4.5 - Ricciardo may have a grid penalty so probably worth holding off for now.

Kimi is 10.0 for fastest lap which seems quite good too.

davidjwest
Group 3 Class
Tips

Re: Formula One - Hungary Race Weekend

Postby davidjwest » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:16 pm

FP1 and FP2 show that Ferrari (Vettel) appear to be quickest overall in race and qualifying trim, but Red Bull are close enough to challenge on race day.

Mercedes are not going to be on the podium by the look of it, unless it rains.

However, there is a very real chance of thunderstorms, if it does rain I can see Hamilton winning this, if dry Vettel.

So no tips from me until nearer the race when I can get a more accurate weather forecast!

50% chance of rain in qualifying and 10% for the race, but I have seen other forecasts saying it's more like 50% It looks like thunder may arrive around the end of the race as in Germany so a difference of just a few minutes could mean a wet last 10 laps or so or no rain during the race at all.

Vettel for pole if dry though.

davidjwest
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby davidjwest » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:24 am

Chance of rain now almost nil for both qualifying and the race, I would say Vettel is almost certainly going to get pole, be interesting to see if Raikkonen can get onto the front row.

Mercedes will need all their engine modes to get ahead of Red Bull, I think that is going to be crucial as Red Bull will be quicker in the race.

I've gone for Vettel for the win here with Verstappen on the podium.

Probably go for Ferrari to get most points and Raikkonen fastest lap but not picked those yet, need to see what qualifying brings.

Red Bull may split their strategy, watch for the undercut in the race while their other driver goes for a long first stint, I assume 1 stop for everone but 2 might be viable.

davidjwest
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby davidjwest » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:33 pm

So much for dry qualifying, I checked the forecast literally an hour before qualifying started and it gave a 3% chance of rain!

Still should be an interesting race with the Ferrari's quicker if it's dry, start will be crucial, I can still see Vettel winning.

Will wait until tomorrow just before the race before I do my final predictions as obviously the weather is crucial.

davidjwest
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby davidjwest » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:42 am

I've checked several forecasts and they all say 0% chance of rain with high temperatures, over 30 degrees.

This means Mercedes should struggle with rear grip as they were overheating their rears in practise, can't really see past a Ferrari 1-2 with Vettel winning as Kimi will be told to let their number 1 driver take the points.

Vertappen probably 5th but he might get amongst the Mercedes too, he will struggle to overtake though with his slightly underpowered Renault engine.

Ricciardo 6th.

Assuming no incidents or mechnical issues.

The Snail
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby The Snail » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:40 am

Bottas certainly had the grip issues!

this F1 season just seems so unpredictable. every time I think I have a handle on a race weekend it ends up going completely differently to my expectations!

I need a three week break just to get over it!

From a non-betting perspective it has certainly been intriguing though!

davidjwest
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby davidjwest » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:38 pm

Yeah the wet qualifying meant we had a strange grid and strange race. Had it been dry all weekend as per the forecast I think Vettel would have walked it.

Red Bull were a bit disappointing.

It's still Vettel's to lose, Ferrari will be quicker than Mercedes at most of the tracks I reckon, possibly all of them but some by only a small margin, Hamilton needs more rain to take his 5th title I think.