Welcome Grand National Guide Bloggers

TeddyT
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Welcome Grand National Guide Bloggers

Postby TeddyT » Fri May 25, 2018 8:34 am

Hi and welcome to everyone joining the Grand National forum at OLBG from our sister site Grand National Guide .

Back in 2008 we set up a blog at Grand National Guide to host Grand National related content to support the main site.

We never anticipated that such a fantastic community of Grand National enthusiasts would develop below this content. As such the blog pretty much became a community of people discussing the Grand National.

The content within those discussions has been amazing, lots of online friends have been made and many a winner has been shared or reached through mutual discussion. Much akin to the OLBG forum.

Unfortunately, 10 years on, things have changed. Due to changes in regulations, running multiple sites and trying to support multiple communities is challenging. We have made the decision to focus our resources on OLBG and to close many of the other sites we once managed.

So it is with this that we welcome the Grand National Guide Blog community to the Grand National forums at OLBG.

The forums here will allow for much more flexibility to discuss different topics and we will be able to offer you more support. I'm sure you will all get used to the changes pretty soon.

We do appreciate this has happened at very short notice and there maybe content on the Grand National Guide blog which you would like moved over to this forum. We will do what we can to accommodate this. Darren who went under the name of "admin" on Grand National Guide blog is here at OLBG as TeddyT and supported by James (PompeyJim) and Andy (Zipster) as well as a team of OLBG volunteer moderators.

Ok, so perhaps we can start by setting up some new forum threads within this Grand National Forum. What discussion topics would you like to get going?
OLBG Tipster Competition Manager

moreen
Handicapper
Tips

Re: Welcome Grand National Guide Bloggers

Postby moreen » Fri May 25, 2018 10:04 pm

I can't find the designated area for it on OLBG; really concerned that all of the information garnered over 10 years has gone for good.....

Antony OLBG
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Antony OLBG » Sat May 26, 2018 7:22 am

Welcome

No its not gone - its where it was before just not publicly accessible and its been totally anonymised so there are no usernames, IPs, email addresses in the data any more but the comments are untouched

We can copy stuff across to a thread / threads here once everyone has discussed what they want

Mike N
Listed Class
Tips

Postby Mike N » Sat May 26, 2018 10:18 am

A suggestion would be under Board Index/ Horse Racing have a thread called Grand National Guide Bloggers and then transfer over all the posts including the historical ones in there in an easy to reach fashion.

Anyone else agree?

moreen
Handicapper
Tips

Postby moreen » Sat May 26, 2018 5:02 pm

Sorry but I don't understand any of this; so I can still access it??

Mike N
Listed Class
Tips

Postby Mike N » Sat May 26, 2018 8:49 pm

Moreen no not at present. We have been moved here without any notice and no access to our threads/posts. We will have to wait until it all gets transferred over before we can begin again.

moreen
Handicapper
Tips

Postby moreen » Sun May 27, 2018 9:34 am

Mike; I feel as though I've lost a load of old and dear friends! Not to mention all the years of valuable research done by so many [reminds me of how I felt when our racing club disbanded and we were just told in the newsletter, not in person]. I know I didn't contribute as much as most people on the forum but it meant a great deal to me. A couple of members do post on Theracingforum sometimes and I have mentioned it on there. The sad thing is that, it was such an anonymous site that it's impossible to keep in touch with any of the gnguide people. Lets hope we can start up again on OLBG and retrieve all that research [especially as you guys got the winner of the race this year!].

Mike N
Listed Class
Tips

Postby Mike N » Sun May 27, 2018 4:00 pm

Antony you may as well get on with it.
If there's anything that don't look right I'll mention it.
We really do need the names and dates of the posts still, otherwise we won't know who said what and when.
I can't imagine anyone will change their login name.
Darren can assist you as he structured the original site. We won't want too many changes just business as usual.
Thanks.

showlad
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby showlad » Mon May 28, 2018 2:04 pm

Mike; I feel as though I've lost a load of old and dear friends! Not to mention all the years of valuable research done by so many [reminds me of how I felt when our racing club disbanded and we were just told in the newsletter, not in person]. I know I didn't contribute as much as most people on the forum but it meant a great deal to me. A couple of members do post on Theracingforum sometimes and I have mentioned it on there. The sad thing is that, it was such an anonymous site that it's impossible to keep in touch with any of the gnguide people. Lets hope we can start up again on OLBG and retrieve all that research [especially as you guys got the winner of the race this year!].
What a bloody fiasco. Indeed just 'throw up' any page and let us get back in touch with each other. Let's not give up guys despite the 'Big Brother' handling of this by OLBG.

kj 23
2yo
Tips

Postby kj 23 » Mon May 28, 2018 2:55 pm

Pretty shocking business this,. I'm checking in here... but totally lost.
We were encouraged to move over a few yrs ago, but people simply didn't like it and now this sudden and rather undervalued treatment.
To me this place is not intuitive, I can't even find this conversation without clicking on the old blog link!
Maybe there are benefits I just can't see.
Having a bunch of zeros next to your name is a bit offputting,.
Mike you've 0 tips and you've 'sadly' not got an award... Showlad hello, I was waiting for someone to post who has a history on this site, with yer eurovision I assume ;) I can't see any of your 250posts by clicking on it as apparently I'm not allowed! also informs me you haven't passed any exams at 'betting school' tut tut,. what the hell...nice & friendly innit ;)

Not really around for much but steeple chasing ;) but I am curious to see we are taken care of here,
hopefully things will have some obvious 'form' when things are uploaded.. maybe some of us need tips on navigation!?
By september (but actually rather sooner I feel!) when some of our Grand National Team start trickling back to the stable I hope we can be more at home.
I hope this works out and we can reform,..as Mike says OLBG start uploading some foundations!

Mike I couldn't keep my 2 digit login name.... has to be 6 digits or spaces long, oh no, suppose I could of had simply 'kj space space space space' ...darn it! can't change it apparently.

TeddyT
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby TeddyT » Mon May 28, 2018 3:07 pm

Anyone who was a member on the GNG blog pages can join OLBG and carry on chatting in exactly the same way on this page.

You may remember we tried to set up a forum on the GNG blog and that wasn't liked either.

GNG blog was intended to be just that, a blog, but it became more if a chatting area and, I'm afraid, we could no longer keep it open in its current format. To instigate the recent GDPR changes would have meant an extensive revamp and as the site generates no income we could not justify that.

We haven't been able to give the GNG blog the administration time it deserved and if you all can get over this change I would think that this new set-up would function much more smoothly if you are open to giving it a try.

If there are any threads that you wish me to try and move over please let me know and we will try and sort that as soon as possible.

TeddyT
Triple Crown Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby TeddyT » Mon May 28, 2018 3:11 pm

We appreciate that a new site requires getting used to and if we can help with navigation etc in any way please just ask.