Postby bazakehurst » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:06 am

I’ve gone early on Braqueur Dor NRNB EW @ 80/1

FYI I Just Know down to 33/1 now!

Arc Jimmy
Group 2 Class
Tips

Re: 2018 Aintree Grand National

Postby Arc Jimmy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:28 am

Seems like one of last years placed horses Cause Of Causes will miss the race shame along with Blaklion who has had a wind op since Haydock 1 of my 2 ante post bets.

The Snail
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby The Snail » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:20 pm

Certainly didn't look his usual self at Cheltenham, is he being retired or just rested with an injury? Been an absolute star through the years!

The Executioner
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby The Executioner » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:14 pm

Seems like one of last years placed horses Cause Of Causes will miss the race shame along with Blaklion who has had a wind op since Haydock 1 of my 2 ante post bets.
All systems go for Blaklion who apparently worked well the other day - as far as I am aware there is no doubt about him running.
2017/18,50xNH HorsesTo Follow Part 1
https://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=412906

2017/18, 50xNH Horses To Follow Part 2
https://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=412907

2018 Grand National Ante Post
https://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=413651

meoldmate
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby meoldmate » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:49 pm

Birds eye look at the National runners

2018 Grand national declarations

1 MINELLA ROCCO 8 11-10 JJ O'Neill 20/1 rated 162

May not keep this declaration and if doing so, the weight and distance could be finding him out.

2. BLAKLION 9 11-9 Nigel Twiston-Davies 12/1 rated 161

Ran a blinder in this race last year when fourth, beaten 8 3/4 lengths. Interesting player, well worth a look closer to date, nine pounds higher, should not be an issue, exciting prospect for a place or win factor.

3. ANIBALE FLY 8 11-7 A Martin 16/1 rated 159

Outstanding performance in the Gold Cup, to finish in third place, beaten 8 1/2 lengths. Stayed on this day and may of not been a threat to the main two but showed potential to have a shot at this race, well worth a second look.

4. THE LAST SAMURI 10 11-7 K. Bailey 16/1 rated 159

Starting to be a standing dish in this national, in 2016 he came second to Rule The World off a rating 149 with 10-8 on his back. Last year he came sixteenth, weakened from four out, with 11-10 and official rating 161, Blaklion was well ahead of him this day and be surprised if he can account for this one, this time around, winning this race could behind him as his stamina just seems to let him down over this distance.

5. VALSEUR LIDO 9 11-6 H. De Bromhead 50/1 rated 158

May not line up for this race and whether he has the stamina for a race of this nature remains to be seen.

6. TOTAL RECALL 9 11-4 W. Mullins 12/1 rated 156

Raced in the Gold Cup and was never a threat to the front two and fell five from home, stayed on well to beat Whisper at Newbury over twenty six furlongs and could have the stamina for a race of this status, jumping is the game, these fences may look easy but still needs to be spring heeled. I am not sure about this one.

7. ALPHA DES OBEAUX 8 11-3 M. Morris 66/1 rated 155

Trainer Mouse Morris knows how to get one ready for a tilt at this race with him winning in 2016 with 33/1 shot Rule The World. Do not think this one has the potential of being called the winner.

8. GOLD PRESENT 8 11-3 N. Henderson 25/1 rated 155

Fell in the Topham last year, followed up with two wins and was pulled up at Cheltenham, due to breaking blood vessels, if he is prone to doing this, then this issue can occur again.

9. PERFECT CANDIDATE 11 11-2 F. O'Brien 80/1 rated 154
Can never say an eleven year old cannot win the national as there was three on the trot, Neptune Collonges 2012, Auroras Encore 2013 and Pineau De Re 2014. Raced in this last year and was prominent for awhile but was eventually pulled up, the same story could be repeated once again.

10. CAUSE OF CAUSES 10 11-1 G. Elliott 18/1 rated 153

Gordon Elliott seems capable of sending anything out in Ireland and win races and he showed his stable stars can do well here as with Cheltenham. This one is a thorough stayer and was second in this race last year and giving One for Arthur two pounds, can certainly mix it here and well worth having on your side, if not winning but being placed, will not see him on the first circuit but will be making inroads on the second.

NON RUNNER

11. SHANTOU FLYER 8 11-1 R. Hobson 100/1 rated 153

Ran a blinder at Cheltenham in the Ultima Handicap Chase grade three and went down by a neck to Coo Star Sivola. Before this found big River to good for him at Kelso, Can make mistakes an if making here, they can be costly.

12. TENOR NIVERNALS 11 11-0 Miss V. Williams 125/1 rated 152

Well behind in this race last year and after two races this season, where he has not shown much, be surprise if he makes the first seven.

13. CARLINGFORD LOUGH 12 11-0 J. Kiely 66/1 rated 152.

For a twelve year old to win the race, we have to look back to 1995 Royal Athlete and Mrs Pitman was the trainer and she was the first lady trainer to win this great race, which she did in 1982 with Corbiere. Can this one be a player at good odds, remains to be seen, not for me.

14 VICENTE 9 10-13 P. Nicholls 33/1 rated 151

Fell at the first last year and may not take to these fences this year, does stay but would not be surprise if he does not go for the Scottish National.

15. GO CONQUER 9 10-13 J O'Neill 66/1 rated 151

Front runner, who could be there for the first circuit before tiring and finishing last or even pulled up, feared of his jumping could be letting him down, like this horse and hopefully connections look elsewhere.

16. TIGER ROLL 8 10-12 G. Elliuott 20/1 rated 150

Seems to be improving with each race and can stay four miles and this extra 2 1/2 miles may not stretch him either. 20/1 looks a good price and if he takes to these fences like he did with the cross country at Cheltenham, then he will be right in the equation for success.

17. REGAL ENCORE 10 10-12 A. Honeyball 33/1 rated 150

If lining up, he could be one of the finishers but not in contention for a place.

18. VIEUX LION ROUGE 9 10-12 D. Pipe 33/1 rated 150

David Pipe has had a quiet spell with winners and this one has quality to make his presence felt but his stamina could be sapping once again coming to the last two fences, came sixth last year, around about the same place again, I expect and if bookies are paying six or seven places, worth a chance for Each Way.

19. RATHVINDEN 10 10-12 W. Mullins 33/1 rated 150

Found extra for winning at Cheltenham over thirty two furlongs, extra 2 1/2 furlongs should not hinder him, stamina looks assured, if jumping these fences cleanly, can be a player at good odds, with a decent weight.

20. ACEPELLA BOURGEOIS 8 10-12 W. Mullins 66/1 rated 150

Beaten favourite at Fairyhouse when pulled up with broken blood vessels, may not line up for this.

21. A GENIE IN A BOTTLE 7 10-11 N. Meade 80/1 rated 149

Would need all three wishes to get this one home in first place, may not line up.

NON RUNNER

22. CHASE THE SPUD 10 10-11 F. O'Brien 66/1 rated 149

Won the Midlands national at Uttoxeter last March beating Mysteree 1 1/2 lengths, this horse and Chase The Spud have not shined this season and form can be questionable, if ground came up horrendous, with heavy in the wording, then this one could be a surprise package.

23. WARRIORS TALE 9 10-11 P. Nicholls 50/1 rated 149

Trevor Hemmings who owns this one and a couple others in the race, would like to nail his colours on this race once again and a twenty furlong runner like Warriors Tale could stay this far and being by Midnight Legend could be a possible player, interesting sort at a price.

24. SEEYOUATMIDNIGHT 10 10-11 S. Thomson rated 149

Think this one has been withdrawn

25. AS DE MEE 8 10-11 P. Nicholls 80/1 rated 149

Unseated Sean Bowen at the tenth in the Becher chase, in December with Blaklion winning the race, twelve pounds in favour if lining up against Twiston-Davies horse compared to four pounds when meeting here last time. This is the second time As De Mee has been over these obstacles and it looks like Paul Nicholls is schooling this one for a chance at tackling this race with a positive view. Rated 149 could be a feasible mark to run a race full of promise off. NON RUNNER

26. GAS LINE BOY 12 10-10 I. Williams 33/1 rated 148

Finished in fifth place last year off a mark of 152 and had 10-7 on his back with Noel Fehily in the saddle. In 2015 he fell at the first, achieving a high position last year was a good achievement . He won the Grand Sefton, which is over twenty one furlongs and was on heavy ground, the form of this race has been franked by sixth place Captain Redbeard. Whether he can perform to a high standard once again will be have to be seen.

27. THE DUTCHMAN 8 10-10 C. Tizzard 50/1 rated 148

Colin Tizzard is having a good season with the Gold Cup in his pocket, this one has raced four times for Colin since leaving Sandy Thomson stable in November 2017. Was pulled up at Haydock in the national trail, was prominent but looks like the heavy ground was affecting his stamina, did win over three furlongs shorter before this, may find a trip of this nature beyond him.

28. PLEASANT COMPANY 10 10-10 W. Mullins 40/1 rated 148

Came ninth in this race last year and was giving the winner a pound in weight, made an error at the 25th Valentines, which would not of helped his cause, Ruby Walsh was in the plate, so whoever has the ride, could be getting a good one, winning not sure.

29. BELLSHILL 8 10-10 W Mullins 20/1 rated 148

Has a touch of class about him and he won the Bobbyjo Chase, which could be a good pointer towards a big run appearing here. Was only ten lengths behind Might Bite in last year's RSA chase. Might be progressive enough to be a contender, has a good attitude but can make mistakes, would not under estimate this youngster and his breeding indicates stamina being by King's Theatre and the dam's sire Be My Native.

30. UCELLO CONTI 10 10-9 G. Elliott 33/1 rated 147

Was holding a position in last year's race only to unship Daryl Jacob at the 22nd Bechers on the second circuit. Since then has had only two races and finished behind Anibale Fly receiving ten pounds and beaten seven lengths at Leopardstown, was pulled up at Gowan Park next time, where he weakened. Ground dependent possibly, come up good then he could be a contender.

31 SAINT ARE 12 10-9 T. George 66/1 rated 147

Standing dish for this race, came 9th in 2013 when trained by Tim Vaughan, never raced in the 2014 event and in 2015 he found Many Clouds 1 3/4 lengths too good, with Paddy Brennan in the saddle and now with present trainer. 2016 made mistakes and was out of contention when pulled up. Last year he looked back to his old self with third place, with him staying on, behind Cause of Causes and One For Arthur and had Blaklion behind him. Davy Russell was riding this day. This season he has had two runs and been pulled up in both, his form could be questionable but does seem to act well here.

32 BEEVES 11 10-9 J. Canidish 100/1 rated 147

Be surprise if he lines up as he goes off like a scolded cat and lasting out this trip would be hard from the front and jumping these fences accurately, vulnerable to a finisher.

33. RAZ DE MEE 13 10-8 G. Cornwell 50/1 rated 146

We have to look far back in time for a thirteen year old winner of this race and it was in 1923 Sergeant Murphy. Can this one bring history alive once again being thirteen, as he won the Welsh National by six lengths and the way he won this race, as if he had six year old legs on. He was somewhat unlucky last year, as he had to try and avoid fallen horses and his jockey Ger Fox had no chance of staying in the saddle, they departed at the sixth, at Bechers. In 2014 he finished in eighth place, this is when by the late Dessie Hughes in Ireland, he was never on terms to be a threat. Be good to see him running a good race but for winning, I be surprised as anyone would.

34. I JUST KNOW 8 10-7 Mrs S. Smith 50/1 rated 145

Lightly raced with ten chase races to his name and producing four wins, shrewd trainer but even with stamina in breeding, this one will need to be more progressive.

35. VIRGILLO 9 10-7 D. Skelton 100/1 rated 145

Comes from an in form stable but will these fences find him out as he is good over relegation fences. His price might be sounding out his chances.

36. BALE DES LLIES 7 10-7 R. Sullivan 66/1 rated 145

May not line up, was well beaten in the Bobbyjo behind Pleasant Company in February 2017, raced three times this season and showed some form on his last run when third, nothing positive to give any good vibes about this one being a main contender for the winners enclosure.

37. MAGGIO 13 10-7 P. Griffin 100/1 rated 145

For his age, he has never competed in this before, possibly been balloted out, as he has course form but could be a big ask here, if caring to line up.

38. PENDRA 10 10-7 C. Longsdon 66/1 rated 145

Down the field in this race last year, at least he completed the course with a position of thirteenth, may once again complete the course without being a threat.

39. BUYWISE 11 10-7 E. Williams 50/1 rated 145

Likes to come from off the pace but could be given to much to do as shown in the 2016 national when finishing in twelfth place. Won a veterans race at Sandown this year but could be finding ones with younger legs better.

40. CHILDRENS LIST 8 10-7 W. Mullins 66/1 rated 145

Looks a useful sort but may not be lining up for a race of this nature, where he could be looking at being an also ran.

They are the top forty if lining up, the remainder as follows who could be filing in where above non runners appear.

41. HOUBLON DES OBEAUX 11 10-6 Miss V. Williams 125/1 rated 144

Not a force to contend with and price indicates his chances.

42. LORD WINDERMERE 12 10-6 J. Culloty 66/1 rated 144

Was useful in his younger days and finished in seventh last year when behind One For Arthur, if achieving a place could be finishing the course in his own time once again.

43. CAPTAIN REDBEARD 9 10-6 S. Coltherd 100/1 rated 144

Been in good form and a thorough stayer, acts well on heavy ground, could show something in this race if getting a chance but will be hoping for soft to heavy ground to be at his best. Seems to be a clean jumper of fences, could be capable of clearing these with zest, like this horse but a contender at 100/1 hard to call.

44. BLESS THE WINGS 13 10-8 G. Elliott 50/1 rated 143

Cannot really see this one lining up and at the age of thirteen could be finding youngsters having the legs to see him off.

45. MILANSBAR 11 10-5 N. king 50/1 rated 143

Stays well but will need to raise his game to figure here if lining up.

46. FINAL NUDGE 9 10-5 D. Dennis 66/1 rated 143

Raced four times this season without winning, form questionable. Was running a good race before falling in the Midlands National last season, otherwise nothing to note.

47. DOUBLE ROSS 12 10-5 N. Twiston-Davies 100/1 rated 143

Stable will be relying on Blaklion for a big run and this one may not keep this declaration.

48. ROAD TO RICHES 11 10-4 N Meade 66/1 rated 142

Others have more chances of running a big race here than this one, do not get me wrong, he is useful in his own right but cannot see a big run in this if making the declaration.

49. DELUSIONOFGRANDEUR 8 10-4 Mrs S. Smith 66/1 rated 142

Might find this mark beyond him as he has shown in his last two runs, with fifth and third positions.

50. THUNDER AND ROSES 10 10-4 M. Morris 66/1 rated 142

Cannot see this one being a threat and lining up may not be forthcoming.

51 WALK IN THE MILL 8 10-3 R. Walford rated 141

Possibly a non runner

52. VINTAGE CLOUDS 8 10-3 Mrs S. Smith 50/1 rated 141

Won a novice chase here last season and looks a stayer in the making, ran a fine race at Cheltenham when third to Coo Star Sivola, if making the cut, could be of interest but I would be more interested in this one if lining up for the Scottish National.

53. WOUNDED WARRIOR 9 10-1 N. Meade rated 139

Taking out of the betting, non runner.

54 GENERAL PRINCIPLE 9 10-1 G. Elliott 100/1 rated 139

If making the cut, will be lining up for a run and hope for a clean round of jumping, nothing of potential to suggest a big run appearing here.

55. VIC DE TOUZAINE 9 10-1 Mrs V. Williams rated 139

Taking out of the betting, presume not lining up.

NON RUNNER

56. SPLASH OF GINGE 9 10-1 N. Twiston-Davies rated 138

Taking out of the betting, not keeping declaration.

From BONNY KATE downwards, they will need the weights to raise considerably to take their chances in this race and many of the above to dismiss their declarations.

Hopefully this will help towards a guide to a selection, I will be placing over my interest, closer to the day.
OLBG Moderator

Arc Jimmy
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Arc Jimmy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:11 pm

Certainly didn't look his usual self at Cheltenham, is he being retired or just rested with an injury? Been an absolute star through the years!
Was reported to just be lame hope it's nothing worse than that.

The Snail
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby The Snail » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:53 am

Was reported to just be lame hope it's nothing worse than that.
lets hope - I guess if he comes back fighting fit that run could have just added a few points onto his price for those of us yet to get on anything ante post so I could be a blessing in disguise.

I guess one noticeable absentee is One for Arthur...I haven't heard anything about him in the build up. I hope nothing terrible has happened to him which I've missed? is he injured / enjoying the fruits of his 2017 success?

ians6290
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby ians6290 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:05 am

To my knowledge one for Arthur is out for the rest of the season due to injury but will be back for next season.

The Snail
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby The Snail » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:18 am

To my knowledge one for Arthur is out for the rest of the season due to injury but will be back for next season.
cheers Ian - Injury, whilst a shame, a season long injury isn't a fatality which is good news!

meoldmate
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby meoldmate » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:04 pm

A slight injury caused One for Arthur to be out and will not run this season but will return next season and so I believe will run about three times and be ready for another tilt at next years Grand National, which would be great to see.
OLBG Moderator

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:55 pm

I'm being drawn to Road To Riches. I think he'll sneak in at the bottom of the weights and what we have then is a G1 winner, Cheltenham Gold Cup and Ryanair placed horse, who looks like he's been trained towards the race (ran in the Grand National trial at Punchestown).

Any ground seems to suit and this course may well bring out the undoubted class of the horse that seems to have got lost since placed in a Grade 2 at Gowran in October 2016.

meoldmate
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby meoldmate » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:52 pm

Shrews will Road to Riches get a chance to run, massive price at this moment of time, I still cannot figure on a horse to select at this time, just have to wait for the next list of non runners appearing, plus what the ground is going to be like.

Watched a video of Mr Frisk winning and one thing for sure, ground will never be that fast again and I was screaming for the line that day :D

One For Arthur was my selection from last year but lost my anti post vouchers, very early on, so if the ground is described as heavy like most of the season, Captain Redbeard could be worth a look at a really really big price, 100/1 seams to jump well enough, stamina assured and did run a fair race when racing here, have to wait and see.
OLBG Moderator