What Are Your Grand National Memories?

davidg3907
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby davidg3907 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:55 pm

Red Rum was bred to win mile races, and actually won a five-furlong two-year-old race at, believe it or not, Aintree. He was ridden twice in his two-year-old campaign by none other than the great Lester PIggott.

Red Rum died, aged 30, and is buried by the winning post of the Grand National course. We'll never see his like again.
I'm fairly certain that Rummy's 'win' on the flat was actually a dead-heat - in the lofty class of a 2yo seller.

At the time, Aintree was (again from memory), I think the only course that didn't have a photo-finish camera.
LAYING Taking it further
LAYING Delving deeper - NEW

FOOTBALL blogs under Blogs/Football
New RELEGATION diary in Blogs/systems

Jim Brown
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips
Location: Dallas, Texas. Go Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks, Stars, FC Dallas, and Burn!

Postby Jim Brown » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:13 pm

Red Rum was bred to win mile races, and actually won a five-furlong two-year-old race at, believe it or not, Aintree. He was ridden twice in his two-year-old campaign by none other than the great Lester PIggott.

Red Rum died, aged 30, and is buried by the winning post of the Grand National course. We'll never see his like again.
I'm fairly certain that Rummy's 'win' on the flat was actually a dead-heat - in the lofty class of a 2yo seller.

At the time, Aintree was (again from memory), I think the only course that didn't have a photo-finish camera.
It was indeed a dead-heat David :win:
OLBG Moderator
100% OLBG!
Follow me on Twitter: @ebook_olbg
Read My Blogs on OLBG
Founder of the OLBG NFL Underdog Blog

MaxBetter
2yo
Tips

Postby MaxBetter » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:00 am

I've had at least one bet on even if I wasn't trading for at least a decade now but my favourite memory is still putting 50p pocket money on one of my dads slips because it had Smarties in the name. 10/1 or something to place and £5 buys a kid a whole lot of Smarties.

I've made more since then of course but I don't think I've ever eaten that many Smarties in one go.

geordieracer
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby geordieracer » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:07 pm

first big national win was in 1980 when a pal of mine who was working for Polycell sent me £20 of Ladbrokes vouchers he was supposed to give to valued customers (I had used a tub of pollyfilla once, I was still a student at law school at the time....) and I put 10 quid Each Way on Ben Nevis who duly obliged at 40/1. My share of the spoils ((£250) was equal to a term's grant in those days of lower costs (and universal student grants)!

After some hit and miss years I had a fabulous time in the 1990's with this race and landed Party Politics; Royal Athlete; Lord Gyllene (watched on the TV at work on the Monday with the whole office invited along) and Bobbyjo before following up the following year with Papillon.

Since then - 15 runnings and only 3 wins. Comply or Die; Pineau De Re and Many Clouds (recouping my having backed him off the boards for the Gold Cup).

This year.... VIEUX LION ROUGE to land a hat-trick would be a great memory going forward. And a tasty return too.....

It's still a great race, but it isn't the race it was, sadly.