What Are Your Grand National Memories?

bigmalky71
Handicapper
Tips

What Are Your Grand National Memories?

Postby bigmalky71 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:26 am

Forum members I was looking back at re-runs of the race
and I was wandering if anybody had fond memories of any national.
Me personally it was when I had the winner of the race and that was the 1991
Winner Seagram who beat the Gold cup winner Garrison Savannah that year
and I only bet it because that year was the last time SEAGRAM a distillery from Canada was sponsoring the race.
I fancy Shutthefrontdoor to win this years race who I bet last year as he was
Sir Tony McCoy last national ride he is around 25/1 at the moment but got returned at 6/1 fav last year.

Antwilhar
Listed Class
Tips

Postby Antwilhar » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:38 am

Neptune collonges winning by a Nose will always be one of my favourites.

UnderdogsLover
Stallion
Tips

Postby UnderdogsLover » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:15 am

My favourite has to be West Tip 1986 with Richard Dunwoody.
He fell when leading race year be for, then went on to win it.
Had 25/1 ante post so pleased that come in, West Tip think also
was placed in all his other Nationals he run in so he liked Aintree. :yes:

Also liked Silver Birch my longest price winner 33/1 in 2007.
Think run well that season, and my late mum and I always
look for colour names horses. Etc..

And of course not for getting last year winner Many Clouds
had nice SP on him, was thought he was Gold Cup horse, obviously
the trip was too short, then ran great race and won.
So want be surprise if Many will go close in this year National to..

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:21 pm

@Bigmalky

I was there when Seagram collared Garrison Savannah on the run-in (I was on GS). I had also seen GS a few weeks before winning the GC and really thought he was going to be the first since Red Rum to do the double. Although I was really peeved off at the time it is actually one of my favourite nationals and Seagram, well, what a horse.

Never been to Aintree since, it's far too packed for me.

Favourites:
1. Red Rum beats Crisp (my 2nd favourite race behind Dessie in his GC)
2. Minnehoma - most money won
3. Party Politics
4. Mr.Frisk - first big money win

Leicester Bigot
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Leicester Bigot » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:41 pm

I did Many Clouds at 40/1 last year and the biggest worry was actually whether he would run, with the trainer having to be overruled by the owner to get him in the race in the end.

I am back on again at 25/1 this year, my reasoning being that he'll be 8/1 come the race.

Grittar
Handicapper
Tips

Postby Grittar » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:16 am

My favourite Grand National memories are....

Red Rum's third victory in 1977.

Unaware of his previous 4 runnings in the race. I'd had my late Dad put 50p EW on him, my first ever winner.

Earth Summit & Suny Boy had the forecast and Earth Summit was the first time I tried the Ante Post market. Took 25/1 when weight came out, and put more after Cheltenham.

Little Polveir went to Aintree that year, but didn't back a winner but still enjoyed the experience.

Amberleigh House also give me great memories with his storming late run to grab victory on the line, the only time I had the winner with that kind of finish, and the flip side to that kind of finish, Neptune Collonges beating Sunnyhillboy by a nose. Win or lose them finishes are legendary at Aintree.

:phew:

toadie21
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby toadie21 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:52 am

Fav Grand National was when Comply or die won. Was my 1st time at the meeting and had a fantastic day. I had the winner and also had a e/w bet on Snowy Morning who came 3rd.
Also have fond memories of when Auroras Encore 66/1 won as it is still today my biggest win.
Grand National is still one of my favourite days and is one of the 1st things I circle in the calender. I myself use the trends to get the field down the pick from there.

davidg3907
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby davidg3907 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:10 am

I had a great record of backing the winner in the late 60's and early 70's.

Crisp certainly deserved to add to that number.

Second favourite probably Specify of Arthur Stephenson's when I think either 7 or 8 horses jumped the last within a couple of lengths. Something unlikely to be seen again.

Favourite is of course Foinavon. Having seen him gallop off into the Gold Cup distance before class told and he was pulled up, the impression was that he could do the same in the National and avoid any trouble. At least one front-runner each year will give a good run for your money (memories of Crisp again).

Well, he duly set off into the distance - but at the back of the field rather than the front. When John Buckingham saw the melee ahead of him, he had much much more than anyone else to avoid it.

I was working for a small bookie at the time. He was shouting for it to win about as much as I was because the well backed Honey End had got going again and was closing fast.

On checking the betting slips, I was the only customer (in the credit office anyway) to back the 100/1 winner!

The biggest regret? I didn't back it Ante-post a few days earlier at 500/1. :lol:
LAYING Taking it further
LAYING Delving deeper - NEW

FOOTBALL blogs under Blogs/Football
New RELEGATION diary in Blogs/systems

mc1000
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby mc1000 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:46 am

How could I forget the 1977 Grand National there I was sitting in a hotel car park listening to the race on the radio clutching a decent sized wager on an ante post betting slip for Churchtown Boy at 66-1 only to be rudely interrupted by a knock on the car window by the mother in law asking me as to whether if it was not too much trouble I would mind going inside (I was sarcasm impaired in those days) so did not understand the severity of the trouble I was in. It had been a busy day I had only popped out for five minutes and did not think anyone would notice... if only the vicar the best man and the brides brother had not come with me I might have got away with it.
The moral of the story is check on sporting events before you agree to your wedding day I came second that day in more ways than one. :lol:

Jim Brown
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips
Location: Dallas, Texas. Go Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks, Stars, FC Dallas, and Burn!

Postby Jim Brown » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:54 pm

Undoubtedly for me it's Red Rum's achievements. In a race where statistically a horse is less likely to finish than to complete, let alone win or be placed, RED RUM's remarkable record of five Grand National runs, three wins and two seconds is, in my own personal opinion, the best overall achievement by any thoroughbred racehorse ever. He was even being trained for a sixth run in the race when he suffered a hairline bone fracture just before the race. Sir Tony MyCoy was quoted as saying the following:

"Red Rum's feats, of three Nationals and two seconds, are legendary. They will never be equalled, let alone surpassed. They say records are there to be broken, but Red Rum’s at Aintree is one which will stand the test of time."

Red Rum was bred to win mile races, and actually won a five-furlong two-year-old race at, believe it or not, Aintree. He was ridden twice in his two-year-old campaign by none other than the great Lester PIggott.

Even more remarkable is that Red Rum might never have run at all. He always suffered from pedal osteosis - a debilitating bone disease in his hoofs. It's thought that the endless gallops in the sea at Southport is what helped his condition to the point where he could race.

Red Rum died, aged 30, and is buried by the winning post of the Grand National course. We'll never see his like again.
OLBG Moderator
100% OLBG!
Follow me on Twitter: @ebook_olbg
Read My Blogs on OLBG
Founder of the OLBG NFL Underdog Blog

Grittar
Handicapper
Tips

Postby Grittar » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:56 pm

Little Polveir went to Aintree that year, but didn't back a winner but still enjoyed the experience.

:phew:
In the race before the National missed Beech Road who had won for me at Cheltenham at 50/1. Would have backed him if I'd saw him.

Beech Road remained my biggest price winner until Iris De Balme's Scottish National win in 2008 @ early morning odds of 100/1

millersteve
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby millersteve » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:23 pm

Red Rum winning in 1973 is what got me interested in horse racing and during the 80s I had a bit of winning streak in nationals with Corbiere 1983 and Hallo Dandy 1984 I was celebrating a tad too early when Mr Snugfit looked like winning only to be reeled in by Last Suspect. It was all the more galling because the previous night I had told a lady in my local to stick another pin in the list after she came up with Last Suspect.
I did back West Tip the following year though.

My favourite memory has to be watching Party Politics chase home the relentless Carvills Hill in the Welsh National and from that put an ante post wager on Party Politics, from memory around 20/1 I think.
The day of the National I was moving housed and desperately got the TV installed leaving the unpacking until later.
Watching my bet come in was a great feeling as I backed him again the previous day.
Paid for the removal van and more.
:D