GRAND NATIONAL 2015

Molineux
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby Molineux » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:20 am

Had a ew shout on Mon Parrain amongst others and now understand that Sean Bowen will be onboard. It could be an interesting year for the lad.

Anyone know what horse Nico DB will be riding, Henderson has no entries and the Gold Cup winner should find a decent ride I reckon.
If you can meet with triumph and disaster etc...

deswalker
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby deswalker » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:21 pm

If the forecast is correct it will be rattling fast ground by the time we get round to Saturday... might be more than a few who aren't at home on that.

Plus, there will be watering going on all week no doubt. Controversial.
"The problem with the future is that there are more things that could happen than will happen" - Plato (liberally paraphrased)

Follow me on Twitter: @Nick_Crossland

JTaggart
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby JTaggart » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:00 pm

Here's my selections:

Balthazar King 10/1 - like that he's going to be fresh for the race. Don't like the 10/1

Night in Milan 25/1 - Likes the ground and a front runner so will hopefully stay clear of trouble - like my money's worth!

Monbeg Dude 33/1 - Welsh National winner in 2012 now maturing to Grand National competing age

Saint Are 33/1 - Backed him in the National as a 7 year old and he ran a better race than expected. 3rd in the Beecher Chase at Aintree in December. Now 9 years old and should improve on his 9th place in 2013. Expect the odds to shorten.

Across the Bay 50/1 - Off a better weight than when railroaded off the course. A horse due some luck.

Carlito Brigante 66/1 - The ground firming should suit this horse who is coming to the bubble. Has shown well enough at Aintree and form suggests has the stamina. Should give a good run for money at 66/1

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:18 pm

It's bloody hard this year. There's at least thirty in with a decent chance and one of the other ten will probably win it :D

My top rated
1. Pineau De Re
2. Shutthefrontdoor
3. Balthazar King
4. Mon Parrain
5. Chance Du Roy

Nothing really that interesting. It's about time a horse won this twice on the bounce.

Clearo611
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Clearo611 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:16 am

It's bloody hard this year. There's at least thirty in with a decent chance and one of the other ten will probably win it :D

My top rated
1. Pineau De Re
2. Shutthefrontdoor
3. Balthazar King
4. Mon Parrain
5. Chance Du Roy

Nothing really that interesting. It's about time a horse won this twice on the bounce.
Couldn't agree more. Think it speaks volumes that horses that got in quite easy at the weights last year either haven't or have struggled to. And some of them have chances too! Horses like Gallant Oscar who trainer clearly likes for the race having skipped Irish version for more prestigious one and The Package looking like missing out too.

Clearo611
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Clearo611 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:18 am

Having said that my top rated six are

1. Spring Heeled
2. Balthazar King
3. Rocky Creek
4. Oscar Time
5. Saint Are
6. Unioniste

deswalker
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby deswalker » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:34 am

The only ones I'm definitely backing are Rocky Creek, Godsmejudge and Super Duty... will add around 3/4 more probably from the following...

Royale Knight appeals, Alvarado will run his race, Across The Bay deserves a bit more luck, Mon Parrain has an interesting profile, The Druids Nephew is still a potential handicap blip, Soll is handicapped on his best form, Al Co will love the ground and Monbeg Dude still won't get out my head despite letting me down last year.

:P
"The problem with the future is that there are more things that could happen than will happen" - Plato (liberally paraphrased)

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:41 pm

Goonyella to sneak in down the bottom? Midlands National winner on soft, but 11l 2nd to Shutthefrontdoor in the Irish National on gd/yield gives him a chance, even if the ground isn't ideal.

Maybe Raz De Maree is to be withdrawn as JJ Burke is now booked for both?

mattandbenny
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby mattandbenny » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:42 pm

I purposley avoided the odds for the race, and picked purely based on form/stats/who i fancy etc.

My 4 are Rocky Creek, Balthazar King, The Druids Nephew & Saint Are.... Safe to say i was dissappointed when i looked at the odds and 3 of them were 12/1 or lower!

AH well. Got £10 EW on all of them.

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:56 pm

Spring Heeled
Night In Milan
Royale Knight
Saint Are

Those are my four. Night In Milan hits all the trends and if you haven't read Micko70's blog (he gave last years winner and the recent Irish National winner as well as many other good priced winners and places over the time I've read his stuff) then I suggest you do.

Spring Heeled I've had my eye on ever since his win at Cheltenham last year. be some bookending of winners for Jim Culloty if he can get him home. I also feel its why Lord Windermere has been left in, keep the weight down.

Royale Knight stays all day and has had a similar prep from last years winning trainer. Might lack the pace but if he can just be somewhere close in the final mile or so his stamina looks a good thing.

Saint Are did well round here as a 7yo, has jumped the fences before and seems to have a liking for Aintree, doesn't win as much as he should be just a gut feeling he's well set up for this.

I, like others have mentioned here, have had trouble whittling down my shortlist and still plenty of others I could fancy easily, Al Co will love conditions, Soll looks well handicapped and bang in form. Of the Nicholls runners I actually like Unioniste the best despite only being 7. He just seems a horse beyond his youthful years in this sphere.

I'd also be shocked if Balthazar King isn't in the places with a good round of jumping. Can't back 'em all though.

mountie
Group 2 Class
Tips

Tattersalls

Postby mountie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:23 pm

Hi everyone. I'm going to the National for the first time this year and was wondering if anyone had any good advice on the best areas to watch in the basic Tattsersalls Enclosure.

Thanks and good luck all.

Spring Heeled
Godsmejudge
Court By Surprise for me.

Liked the first two all winter, both look National types and will undoubtedly stay and should jump well. Hopefully the number of horses they find better handicapped is kept to a minimum.

Court By Surprise interests me on price. The handicapper for all I can see has missed out his upturn in form this season when alloting him his mark. A 2lb rise for his 2nd(1st!) to Young Master seems very fair. I think there is a good chance he can outrun his price as long as the ground isn't too quick.

deswalker
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby deswalker » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:01 pm

When Saint Are ran so well in the race as a 7yo my immediate thought was, that horse will be in with a real chance of winning in the future. However, he has not progressed as expected and his win at Catterick was in one of the last staying races before the weights were released so I would imagine that Phil Smith had some swift re-arranging of horses to give him his new mark a full stone higher than his old one!

Take that win away and he would be 61st in the list with no chance of lining up... I don't think he's good enough to win off 143 is the bottom line, and its sad... mainly because I'd have had the possibility of spotting a National winner 2 years in advance!

:P