Sunnyhillboy
The Package
Ballabriggs
Alfie Sherrin
Rare Bob
Bostons Angel
Quiscover Fontaine
Becauseicouldntsee

Seabass is a bit short for my liking, considering he has to run better than last year off the mark, same applies to Sunnyhillboy. Chicago Grey has proven himself on top form and may rate a bet, but I don't think he will be any shorter on the day then the 20/1 available now.

Alfie Sherrin, Becauseicouldntsee and Bostons Angel ran good races in defeat at Cheltenham but didn't set the world alight. Whereas The Package was very disappointing.

Rare Bob and Ballabriggs have run very satisfying warm up races elsewhere and are of serious interest now, whereas Quiscover Fontaine ran below the level I was looking for on his last start.

At the moment I still think Cappa Bleu is the most likely winner and represents fair value at 14/1 or 16/1. The best outsiders in the race on the strength of their warm ups strike me as Rare Bob at 50's or 66/1, Bostons Angel (if he goes) at 66/1 and Becauseicouldntsee at 100/1.

I would definitely be looking for NRNB though at this stage, with targets up in the air.

:win:
"The problem with the future is that there are more things that could happen than will happen" - Plato (liberally paraphrased)

Follow me on Twitter: @Nick_Crossland

Micko70
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Micko70 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:31 am

BetVictor are now NRNB on the race

Billy121only
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Grand National Selections for the Once a Year Punter

Postby Billy121only » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:25 pm

Forgive me for interrupting this thread with this but both my bets today failed to finish and so I am sulking and not looking at Tuesday’s cards. Instead, I am taking a time-out to help those less clued-up on the Grand National than we OLBG folk are.

We all know people who will be eager to have their once a year flutter at Aintree and so below is my guide on what to back for those who take things less seriously;

1. ALBERTAS RUN – A simple one to start. If your name is Albert, then this is your number one. Although it was 1968 when you last picked the winner, don’t give up trying, at least until the top weight gets beat.

2. IMPERIAL COMMANDER - If you are Emperor of Rome, or Emperor of Kidlington or anywhere come to that, then this former Gold Cup winner may help you add riches to your personal empire.

3. QUITO DE LA ROCK – My French is pigeon, Google translate thinks this is a Spanish name anyway and the best I can come up with is ‘taking something off on the rock’. I guess this is for students on holiday, maybe on their gap year but whatever, young persons who have managed a better lingual education than me. Or should it be ‘I’?

4. WHAT A FRIEND – If you cannot make it to the betting shop, or else as a lifestyle choice choose not to, then back this classy chaser in honour of the poor soul who has been sent down the high street to put on the bets for the whole family, the neighbours, the lads working on the drainage issue out in the street. Also, Manchester United fans, this ten year old belongs to Sir Alex Ferguson and so, assuming the lads have beaten Chelsea in the FA Cup, back this horse in appreciation.

5. KATENKO – Unfortunately, this one is recovering from colic so it will only be possible to place money on this one if your bookie lurks on a street corner, under a trilby and wearing a long coat with an upturned collar.

6. WEIRD AL – Come on, your mate Alan, you always thought he was a bit strange, we all did to be honest and so imagine the hilarity of the evening pub crawl pointing at Alan and recounting why you backed Wierd Al. Anyway, what happened to 'I before E except after C?' Tch!

7. PRINCE DE BEAUCHENE – Another French name! In an attempt to better my last effort, I have figured that Beauchene is an Island just south of The Falkland Islands and so if you are partial to a tinned Fray Bentos pie (other tinned pies are available), then this is the bet for you. PS, any advice on how to open the things without breaking two tin openers and getting iron filings in your dinner appreciated!

8. QUEL ESPRIT – Bonnet de douche! I have borrowed from my neighbour a course on basic French, which is good. However, it is on cassette, which is less good. Anyway, this I believe means ‘What Spirit’ (not to be confused with White Spirit). Back this one if you own a pub, “What Spiritâ€￾ offered the landlord genially; as I pointed out that I could not manage another sip more beer.

9. BIG FELLA THANKS – Now, I have had trouble with this one before and I can tell you exactly what type this one will appeal to; a female (usually but not exclusively), loud, outspoken, likes a night out with the girls and, after a few, is the type to make a rugby player blush with lewd comments and suggestions. Tread very carefully if you are organising the office sweepstakes......

10. ROBERTO GOLDBACK – Let’s calm it down. Robert, this one is for you. Also, this is for the girls sunbathing on the beach, undoing the top half of their bikini and lying face down to get a nice even tan on their back. AH, many a happy hour spent in one’s youth at Hunstanton, trying to shock such girls into leaping up off their towel.

11. SEABASS – If you like fish, I am told that The Italian Club Fish Restaurant is one of the best places in Liverpool in which to spend your winnings and I believe they will be stocking up on fresh sea bass in case this leading Irish challenger makes a splash.

12. CALGARY BAY – Located on the Isle of Mull I believe and although I think the population is only 19, give or take, this is your bet if you happen to live there. Or, maybe you have driven there for a weekend in an orange and white VW Camper, in which case you qualify.

13. ROI DU MEE – My French cassette has unravelled and is wrapped round my elderly Walkman (TM) –pass.

14. BALLABRIGGS – A previous Aintree hero who, whilst still retaining plenty of ability, is not quite as good as he once was. A bit like my tipping performance really (!) but this is a good bet if you still watch The Sound of Music on bank holidays and hanker after the good old days, when a shilling ha’penny was all you needed for a good night out.

15. MIDNIGHT CHASE – We have all either been chased after midnight or else we were doing the chasing. My recollection is when my mate Roger accidentally answered a call of nature through the letterbox of our local jewellers, without being aware they were stocktaking. I remember running all the way home without stopping, even though I lost a shoe around half way. Shameful behaviour indeed by my ‘troubled’ mate but if you recall a favourite midnight chase, or have been caught short in a phone / letter / pillar box, this is the horse for you.

16. SUNNYHILLBOY – Went agonisingly close last year and so this horse is a good bet if you favour the ‘nearly man’. Maybe you think Olly Murs should have beaten Joe.....somebody to win the X-Factor or perhaps you think England should have won the last World Cup, if only they didn’t play bad for 84 of the 90 minutes in each of their matches.

17. TEAFORTHREE – “Tea for three young manâ€￾, cries your girlfriend’s maiden aunt with an air of superiority whilst waving a delicately gloved hand as she accompanies you to The Tea Shop no later than 4.00 on a Sunday afternoon. We’ve all been there..........

18. ACROSS THE BAY - Didn't we use to send our convicts and prisoners to Botany Bay? What happened to that idea? Back this one if you can remember.

19. JOIN TOGETHER – Young and in love, engaged, or worst case planning your third marriage in a registry office somewhere dreadful up north, here is your natural selection.

20. PLANET OF SOUND – One for the 18 – 25 year olds who ‘go clubbing’ of a weekend. What a dreadful noise and so loud. In my day, it was a disco and you wore your Sunday best. A ‘cocktail’ was ice and a dash of lime cordial in your lemonade and holding hands between leaving the disco and reaching your parents car was as ‘game on’ as it got.
Twitter: @five2tenracing My Strategy Blogs - http://www.olbg.com/blogs/blogger.php?c ... 0141&m=&y=

UnderdogsLover
Stallion
Tips

Postby UnderdogsLover » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:23 am

:win: Nice write up Billy121only.
Like the guide its great...
Hope you do some more on them, when field
soon be narrowed down to 40...

Big Fella thanks My partner doing that one.
Am going for sunnyhillboy unlucky last year,
and Ballabriggs, did well last year finish 6th,so both
horses like the course... :yes: .

deswalker
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby deswalker » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:37 am

planning your third marriage in a registry office somewhere dreadful up north, here is your natural selection.
...it is dreadful "oop North" isn't it? It smells, and everyone is covered in soot.

:P
"The problem with the future is that there are more things that could happen than will happen" - Plato (liberally paraphrased)

ar line
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby ar line » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:11 pm

Alberta's Run, Quito de la Roque, Katenko, Calgary Bay, Roi du Mee, Midnight Chase, Planet of Sound, The Package, Problema Tic, Frisco Depot, Alfie Sheerin, Matuhi, Tartak, Summery Justice,Odyseass

all withdrawn today.

deswalker
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby deswalker » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks ar line

Surprised that Alfie Sherrin is out, perhaps they were as underwhelmed by his performance as Cheltenham as I was. Surprised and curious that Bostons Angel is still in there. Would look to have a chance if going, but noises from the yard seem to be more about cross country races, such as Punchestown.

:?

Rare Bob 50/1 best now, but only 40/1 with the 2 NRNB bookies.

andystaff
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby andystaff » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:47 pm

There's a nice A-Z of the Grand National on Sporting Life if anyone's interested.

Flat Cap and Whippet
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby Flat Cap and Whippet » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:09 pm

Irish National for Alfie Sherrin?
4 days of wonderful madness is upon us

NJLambourne
2yo
Tips

GRAND NATIONAL

Postby NJLambourne » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:29 pm

I'm on Rare Bob, punters been ploughing into him today, 33-1 seems a good price as well.