2012 Grand National

deswalker
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby deswalker » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:58 am

So you want to abolish The National Shrews? That's fine, I imagine your views are fairly representative of the majority of the public. But what happens when there are 2 fatalities in the rehashed race? (Note that is WHEN not IF, it will happen one year)

Follow the logic people, if the BHA and Aintree bow to pressure too much it will eventually spell the end for National Hunt racing full stop.

:no:
"The problem with the future is that there are more things that could happen than will happen" - Plato (liberally paraphrased)

Follow me on Twitter: @Nick_Crossland

Liverpool1985
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Liverpool1985 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:07 pm

It won't, this is the publics race
The National is the greatest horse race on Earth because the public get so involved.
If it doesn't change and more die again next year then the public will turn away from the race in their droves and that's when it will start to become 'just another horse race'
Hit the nail on the head. Its all fine the avid horse followers getting their backsides up about this. But you have it 100% right, its the general public, people who don't follow horse racing all the time that seem to be more affected by the deaths of horses running in the race.

If the public start to abandon the race, then that will lead to the end of the national being suce a special race. Unfortunately it's the 1 time punters who make the national the special event it is.

It seems like some on here don't care about measures being taken. Okay so the public start to abandon the race with the bad press that will only get worse and worse while nothing is being done and you lot can have another standard race to watch at the weekend.

deswalker
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby deswalker » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:17 pm

people who don't follow horse racing all the time that seem to be more affected by the deaths of horses running in the race
@Pool. I am playing devils advocate here to an extent but what you are basically saying is "people who don't understand racing". And why should racing bow to pressure from people who don't understand the sport?

As I say, I am playing devils advocate to an extent but it's a valid argument and it was the same with the whip debate (sparked by The National last year if you remember); the BHA over-reacted and now the revised rules are much more sensible, and closer to the original guidelines.
"The problem with the future is that there are more things that could happen than will happen" - Plato (liberally paraphrased)

Micko70
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Micko70 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:20 pm

Since 2007 there have been 26 deaths to horses running @ Aintree

But........................................

during the same period there have been 37 deaths to horses running @ Sedgefield including 3 horses on the same day (June 13th 2011)

There have even been 6 deaths to horses running @ Ascot, ON THE FLAT in the same period

Tony McCoy himself as been on 20 horses since 2007 that have lost their life during a race

Although it's very sad to see any horse lose his/her life it's only when they are seen by Millions on TV do people campaign

I don't think i have ever seen a campaign to ban horse racing after any of those deaths at Sedgefield

All the details regarding horse deaths at every racecourse can be found by clicking HERE

Liverpool1985
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Liverpool1985 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:24 pm

@Pool. I am playing devils advocate here to an extent but what you are basically saying is "people who don't understand racing". And why should racing bow to pressure from people who don't understand the sport?
In a sense yes because they propbably don't understand how well the horses are treated compared to avid horse followers. Don't get me wrong Des I can understand the frustration of this argument for the Horse Followers on here and I try to stay an unbiased as possible seeing it from both angles.

But if the public don't see improvements then you lose the public who make the race so great. 11 of us who never back horses watch the race at mine and in fairness only my Fiance and my Sister have said they aren't watching the race again. So only 2 out of 11. I will watch it for as long as it runs I will happily admit.

But I just worry that the bad press will get worse and worse and I don't want to see the public start to leave the race that they make the best around. The public are needed on board otherwise like Shrew said imagine if this became just another race down the line.

boodah
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby boodah » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:02 pm

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/
a very enlightening comment from BHA

deswalker
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby deswalker » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:23 pm

That does make things clearer. Both were clearly freak incidents.

STUBBLE
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby STUBBLE » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:58 pm

My worry for the race is one safety improvement made to appease animal rights groups was to improve the quality of horse in the race, not unreasonably suggesting that poorer horses posed more of a threat to themselves and other horses in the race. Those wanting to see the race abolished can point to a Gold Cup winner dying in the race, regardless of the circumstances.

If there are any changes to be made, I would like to see the landing side on Bechers raised. I know this has been done to some extent but I don't see how having a fence that causes virtually every horse to land on their nose really adds to the spectacle of the race. The race is meant to be a test of a horse's jumping, not its landing.

I would be wary of making too many changes as diluting the unique test that the National represents too much could ultimately bland the race into extinction.
Confidence in tips ranges from the most confident which is 5 stars to least which is 1.

If you fire enough arrows, one or two are bound to hit the target

MartynCarlisle23
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby MartynCarlisle23 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Neptune Collonges has been retired. What a way to bow out. Wonderful horse.

adimale
2yo
Tips

Postby adimale » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:05 am

Its massively sad that the Gold Cup winner was lost and you could tell from the build up that AtP was a massively loved horse, not just a racehorse but a pet. The anti-racing factions will jump on anything untowards, but this is painfully misdirected and misguided this year. Making the fences smaller is ridiculous, they will just go faster and cause more deaths when any mistake is made.

There is a simple solution, make the fences narrower, fewer runners and give more space for any fallers to run so they don't HAVE to jump to follow the others around. Currently there is no space for a loose horse to follow the pack once it has fallen, so tries to jump every fence. With more space away from the fences the horses will run around them.

According to Pete was a freak accident and should be treated as such. This year the fences were NOT to blame for the fatalaties, just what happened afterwards. AtP could've faced the same problem from Aintree to Folkestone as could Synchronised if it was forced to jump once AP had fallen.

stainto
2yo
Tips

Postby stainto » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:26 am

Some great points here re the fatalities, as pointed out we're all ( I would think) upset when there are deaths, I certainly was and ended up having a barney with the wife who accused me of hypocrisy after having invested so much time and effort trying to pick a winner (probably would have been less critical if I'd been on Neptune Collonges!) AtP particularly galled me after the lovely build-up story - the last thing the owner said was "I just hope he comes back safe" Synchronised slightly different for me - I'm not a fan of Gold Cup runners going in the GN and he never looked like a GN type of horse for me.

Anyway my two penno'rth is that I've loved the National since I was 7 (1977 being my first - I think there were fatalities that year) but nothing will change my view. The people who really boil my p--- are the once a year tourist animal welfarers who think we're all bloodthirsty bullfighting equivalents - either oppose racing 52 weeks a year or not at all!

JoliJack
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby JoliJack » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:19 pm

How many horses had to be destroyed at the dubai festival this year