Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Postby Shrews » Sat May 22, 2021 9:15 pm

Oh flip, I knew I should've bet on France. That's another tenner down the drain.

Wins doing handstands.

bottomlesspit
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby bottomlesspit » Sat May 22, 2021 9:24 pm

Disagree, Shrews - she can sing for sure, but the song is rubbish.
Finland climbing all the time, but I still can't pick the winner

If UK do not finish last, I might never bet again. Absolutely awful

meldettori
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby meldettori » Sat May 22, 2021 10:16 pm

I thought Barbara took that song right out of Edith Piaf's playbook, in as it sounds like one from Edith's era and is absolutely brilliant from that perspective and interpretation.
UK... they only there to say "we love Europe" LOL

meldettori
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby meldettori » Sat May 22, 2021 10:53 pm

In a year of demons and devils, something dark wins.

paulat
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby paulat » Sat May 22, 2021 11:05 pm

Yep certainly agree that it is very open and I have been against the Top 3 in the market as they have seemed too short.
My 4 each way against the field have been Italy, Bulgaria, Cyprus and Romania. Of those, Bulgaria have drifted and the other 3 have shortened. I agree that the market has many twists and turns still to come and has not been as volatile yet as in past years.
Just a reminder to those who bet each way with the bookmakers, that they usually move from 1/4 odds 1st 4 to less generous positions as we approach the contest. So its worth taking a position before they go for example to 1/5 odds for 1st 3 which some have done in past years.
3 misses but a 10/1 winner. Great call. There's usually someone who calls the winner and it's usually you adamross :D

meldettori
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby meldettori » Sun May 23, 2021 5:45 am

Congrats to all winners, e/w's and all if you were on Italy.

Here is something interesting regarding Italy winning in 2021... Remember Diodato in 2020? Remember he was favourite or among favourites to lift the trophy in a year which wasn't? Many fans of Italy would have waited 12 more months to vote for Italy again.

bottomlesspit
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby bottomlesspit » Sun May 23, 2021 8:21 am

Many fans of Italy would have waited 12 more months to vote for Italy again.
That might explain the Russia vote - what a racket!

I simply couldn't name the winner this year so had no great investment there

However, Last place for the UK was absolutely nailed on from the moment Germany left the stage
A winning bet on last place pays real money just as a winning bet on first place and it saved my bacon this year. Thanks a lot Serbia!
I have no doubt that Greece profited massively from being on straight afterwards (although it was a good song already)

Bulgaria was my favourite actual song of the lot -but the poor girl couldnt do it justice
Can't wait for next year! Happy Christmas everybody!

adamross
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby adamross » Sun May 23, 2021 9:16 am

Thanks to all who contributed on this thread. Well done to the winners and to those who spotted value and shared it. Switzerland was a really good early each way call. Cyprus gave value and a run for your money and a chance to take a profit. So many others as well - thanks guys!
Very strange year this year. Really open contest.

Systemsman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Systemsman » Sun May 23, 2021 2:34 pm

Well, I certainly do have egg on my face today - they did like Italy!! I was partly right - the juries were not too keen but the public for some reason loved it!! I can only put this down to Italy being very different and as we come out of Covid people wanted a mad crazy party type music (can you call it a song?). It was clear after the 2nd rehearsal that Italy did have substantial support. Lesson for me here once again is to invest with my head not my heart.

It's getting to the point where there is little point in investing until you have seen the 2nd referrals and also know which order your song is, order 9 or less and you can't win (rule change needed to be made but I am not sure what they should be).

A few notes:

Thought Franch should have won on singing on the night.
Malta (which I always liked)- the singer gave it her all, best performance ever but let down by slot number 6, you cant win from, poor costumes and staging with the backers looking dated in presentation.

Next year going to wait a lot longer before the first bet. We are getting too many false early Fav's - won't bet on any song with an order slot of 9 or less. If you want to play it safe just wait till the Saturday of the contest and lump on the Fav around midday.

Perhaps in 2022 we should go back to having our own OLBG voting chart again?

The Executioner
Legend
Tips

Postby The Executioner » Sun May 23, 2021 7:52 pm

Next year going to wait a lot longer before the first bet. We are getting too many false early Fav's - won't bet on any song with an order slot of 9 or less. If you want to play it safe just wait till the Saturday of the contest and lump on the Fav around midday.

It worked this year , but it isn't always the case. I remember Gina G many years ago being backed into as low as 1/3 on the day having been around 5/2 at the start of the week ...... however voting has changed a great deal since those days. Getting the value, and sensible trading is the key to successful punting.

nors
Legend
Tips

Postby nors » Mon May 24, 2021 9:28 am

I suppose if you were a rock fan from anywhere in Europe the Italian song would have automatically got your vote? There wasn't that much competition for that type of song?

Whereas you could have lumped Switzerland and France in the same "ballad bag" so their votes would have been split between the two?

Italy smashed the televote with 316 whereas France got 251 and the Swiss 165.

Malta drawn 6 was curtains for her.
OLBG Community Manager.

Barryd0c
2yo
Tips

Postby Barryd0c » Mon May 24, 2021 12:39 pm

I find the voting results strange to take. Lets say the jury like there rock music, they give Italy 206 votes and Finland only 83. And for me I actually prefered Finlands over it. How Italy got so many is surprising. It also seemed like the bookies knew italy had it in the bag, I just dont get how they know that. Before the jury votes I seen a few bookies go odds on for italy. Another thing, when it comes to viewers who watch and vote on Eurovision, rock fans wouldn't strike me as the type. I thought italy were false favourites and I'm just glad i dont have a Betfair account anymore 😬

Best song for me was Switzerland. Had them backed each way at 20s antepost.

Betting wise other than that it was a shocker. Lithuania E/W was ruined by jury only giving 55 votes. Also Malta looked nailed on but didnt get the viewers votes surprisingly. Expected Cyprus and Norway to finish higher

Backed Germany to finish bottom. Worst song by a mile. How they got 3 votes by the jury is something else. How do they justify that.

I think next year I'm just going to back whatever is favourite on the Saturday before live show.