Eurovision Song Contest 2014 - discussion thread.

Systemsman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Eurovision Song Contest 2014 - discussion thread.

Postby Systemsman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:14 pm

Here we go, here we go, here we go!!!!
Couldn't resist putting up our new 2014 discussion thred (please use the video thred for all ESC video links) a few hours early. So much to discuss already in the next week.
Anyway I will just make an easy start by reposting my post from the end of 2014 looking forward to this year on how to find the winner (I will only post it this once as we don't wont everyone knowing do we!!).

"Who will win in 2014?

Well we cant say for certain at this stage can but we can loo k at where the winner may come from. I shall only post this once so do remember where it is for next year.

Using my ESC winners system we need to look at (this system found all the top entries this year):

Remember we look at the top four in the last four years. We also look at past performance and also the polls and news early next year.

Denmark - we would normely discard but as they also came 4th in 2010 they stay in the possible list.
Azerbaijan
Ukraine
Norway

1. Sweden
2. Russia
3. Serbia
4. Azerbaijan (but won last year)

1. Azerbaija
2. Italy -
3. Sweden - (won in 2012!)
4. Ukraine -

1. Germany -
2. Turkey -
3. Romania -
4. Denmark - (won in 2013)

So the danger list (11 countries) for next year is in rough order:

1. Ukraine
2. Russia
2. Serbia
4. Azerbaijan (but they won recently in 2011 and 2nd this year)
5. Norway
6. Italy (can they afford to win?)
7. Romania
7. Turkey
9. Germany
9. Sweden
9. Denmark
Watch out for a top male singer form Eastern Europe with a great a song (I am informed Serbia intend to enter a well known male singer).

Will say a little more about this list in the next day or two.

Have I left anyone out you think might win?"

OK a News Year game. Bets guess at the winner - you can list two countries (obviously at this stage its a pure guess - its just a New year game to kick us off but do have a go)

Mine are (a guess only at this stage):
Russia
Serbia

Leaguesaint
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Leaguesaint » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:46 am

Happy New Year. I\'ll post a bit more in the coming days but just wanted to say that I heard a while ago that Serbia might not be entering this year.

Systemsman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

So far Albania/Ukraine

Postby Systemsman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:01 am

MY score so far after listening to the two songs already out:

Albania 4 from 10- not very Eurovision (based only a quick listen so far)

Ukraine 5 from 10 - nothing special.

No winner yet or anything special. Disappointed with Ukraine.

Systemsman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

ESC Final Saturday 10th May 2014

Postby Systemsman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:15 pm

ESC 2014 dates to remember:

"Semi-Finals of the 59th Eurovision Song Contest are set to take place on Tuesday 6th and Thursday 8th of May, the Final is scheduled for Saturday, the 10th of May. Some 170 million people from over 40 countries are expected to tune in for the upcoming contest.

A little more:
"Copenhagen announced as host city of Eurovision 2014
Copenhagen, Denmark - Copenhagen has been chosen as host city of the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest, Danish public broadcaster DR announced this morning. The event will be held at the B&W Hallerne at the Refshaleøen, under the slogan 'Join Us'."

Party night Saturday 10th May! Using Sky TV you can also watch both semi finals these days. Pay Day Sunday 11th May!!!!!! :win:

Systemsman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

ESC dates

Postby Systemsman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:50 pm

A few dates to note:

January 10, 2014 Belarus: national final.

January 26, 2014 France: national final.

Saturday 01/02 Switzerland: National Final.

Saturday 01/02 Finland: final.

Saturday 08/02 Malta: national final.

Saturday 15/02 Lithuania: Grand final.

Saturday 15/02 Iceland: Söngvakeppni Sjónvarpsins final.

Saturday 08/03 Denmark: MGP 2013 national final

Some key finals:
Saturday 22/02 Italy: Sanremo night 5 - Final

Saturday 01/03 Estonia: Eesti Laul 2014 final.

Saturday 08/03 Melodifestivalen Final - Stockholm.

Saturday 15/03 Norway: MGP 2014 Grand Final.

Anyone want to guess the winner? - two selections allowed (we wont take it seriously at the stage).

Systemsman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Still a long way to go.

Postby Systemsman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:56 pm

Looking at my ESC system top six:

1. Ukraine 5 from 10. Cant win without a complete rewrite.
2. Russia
2. Serbia
4. Azerbaijan (but they won recently in 2011 and 2nd 2013)
5. Norway
6. Italy (can they afford to win?)

The other five still look all over dangerous.
Two from East Europe: Russia/Serbia
Two from West Europe: Norway/Italy

Systemsman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Belarus

Postby Systemsman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:41 pm

Never say we are not ahead of the bookies of this site! Here are the Belarus finalists and you can hear them all - do you like any? Final Jan 10th. Views please.

Belarus introduces its finalists.
"After one candidate withdrew from the Belarusian national selection, only 14 hopefuls are left. All of them are intensely preparing for the show on January 10th. On the BTRC site, fans can listen to their songs and read the documentaries about the contestants. And don't miss to watch the final which will be broadcast live on our WebTV player, on January 10 th!"

http://www.tvr.by/rus/eurovision2014.asp?pr=finalists

Systemsman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Belarus again

Postby Systemsman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:38 am

Belarus finalists.

Not a bad final and puts the UK to shame. One or two better than the two Euro songs we have heard so far. You can only judge the sound currently and the problem is it may not be a "live" sound.

These look very good around a 6/7/8 out of 10 I think (i.e. very good try but probably not the winner but with more work who knows).

"Angel crying" (could get even better with some more work. One to watch if its wins).

"Starlight" (clearly written for ESC)

"Cheesecake" (sure I have heard this type of sound before)

There is no sound recording for the final artists: SWITTER BOYS feat. KATE&VOLGA KAROL

I think it should between Angel Cry and Starlight on sound recording (obviously we have not seen the stage show). Both of these could be top 20 in ESC but both need a little more work and could do better. I think Angel Crying has some potential with more work and a good stage show.

Views Team?

Leaguesaint
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Leaguesaint » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:47 pm

I should hopefully have a chance to give them a listen either tonight or tomorrow night so I'll try to predict a top 3 and give my views then.

Leaguesaint
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Leaguesaint » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:10 pm

The Belarus final is starting right now on Eurovision.tv

Leaguesaint
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby Leaguesaint » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:13 pm

Song 1 - Natalia Tamelo – Not What I’ve Been Looking For - 6.5 / 10 - Good song but too much Eastern accent in it to do well at Eurovision.

Song 2 - Nuteki - Fly Away - 6 / 10 - Decent soft rock song but not instant enough for Eurovision.

Song 3 - Artsem Mikhalenka – Rapsodiya #1 - 4/10 - Well sung but boring and unsuitable for Eurovision

Song 4 - Matvei Cooper & DUX band – Strippers - 7/10 - My favourite so far. More modern but the dancing girls might put off some voters.

Song 5 - TEO – Cheesecake - 7/10 - Not sure whether to love or hate this. Instant though.

Finally there's a break, they're flying through these songs.

Song 6 - Daria – Starlight 7.5/10 - I can see what Systemsman meant re. written for Eurovision. It would appear to be the Belarussian producers choice - much better camera angles and use of the background than those that have gone before it. Chorus is slightly annoying though.

Song 7 - Elena Siniavskaya – Via Lattea - 8/10 - Thought that was great. Classical singing over a dance soundtrack. Not in English though which won't help if it qualifies. There's some great music on this show.

Song 8 - Alina Moshchenko – Angel Crying - 7/10 - Another good song. Female soloist. Nice pop.

Song 9 - Janette – You Will Be Here - 7.5/10 - Another ballad and a little dull but a good stage show improves it lots.

Song 10 - Anastasia Malashkevich – Runaway - 6/10 - Another female ballad. Not bad at all but not as good as what has gone before.

Another break. I'm struggling to keep up it's so fast paced.

Song 11 - Switter Boys feat. Kate & Volga Karol – Vechnaya lyubov 5.5/10 - I love and hate it in equal measures. The joke song of the night but grew on me as it went on.

Song 12 - NAPOLI – Stay With Me - 5.5/10 - Saccharine sweet 1 male, 2 female ballad. I don't like it but can see it getting votes.

Song 13 - Max Lorens & DiDyuLya – Now You’re Gone 4/10 - I wondered what had happened to Enrique Iglesias. It appears he put on some puppy fat and moved to Belarus. Dull.

Song 14 - Tasha Odi – Empty Universe - 4/10 - Thought they might save the best till last.... but they didn't.

Overall good standard and hard to pick the winner. My personal favourite was Elena Siniavskaya but it might be a bit too 'different' to win. Janette has a good chance due to the stage show, while Nuteki and TEO might stand out from the crowd enough to do well. Switter Boys would be fun to watch on the big stage in Copenhagen.
Last edited by Leaguesaint on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Systemsman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Belarus

Postby Systemsman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:55 pm

Leaguesaint thanks for those views. Your scores show its a good final for sure. Cant wait to see who wins. At least some countries take this contest seriously (and it why they do better than the UK).