Postby Shrews » Sat May 14, 2022 8:42 pm

Moldova

Cotton Eyed Joe meets The Bluebells meets The Pogues meets The Wiggles

Shrews
At Stud
Tips

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2022

Postby Shrews » Sat May 14, 2022 11:08 pm

Amazing result. The UK are back! Maybe Europe does love us after all!

We won the jury vote. The public Ukraine vote was overwhelming and the European public showed their support for them, which I hope the Ukranian people can take some hope from, even if only in a small way.

I still like the Germany one :D

meldettori
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby meldettori » Sat May 14, 2022 11:52 pm

Yes, what a show!
I kind of thought voters jury and public alike had it wrong, Germany's singer was better than the Belgium one and song better, that much about that end of the table. Glad no one finished on nil points again.

I kind of stayed away from predicting the winner this year, because Ukraine won it by default, and may that show Putin Europe is united when it comes to solidarity.

As far as music goes, UK and Sweden had a ding-dong battle, Spain was at the races again, Greece had a good singer, but I thought Norway would have done better after all. Spare a banana for them :lol:

I wonder if we'd see next year's contest in Ukraine or in the UK.. and then UK would win it on their own soil!
Let the countdown for 2023 begin!

bottomlesspit
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby bottomlesspit » Sun May 15, 2022 6:08 am

Correct Mel,
Belgium was even worse than Germany, but the Germans bring home the bacon every year in the Finish Last market.
Not sure what France did wrong - I really liked it
Ditto Armenia.
Knowing the winner in advance totally took the fun out of it for me this year. It seems amazing now that you could still have backed Ukraine at odds-against as recently as March and incredible that I didn't take advantage! Anyone who backed Ukraine at stupid prices in February will already be in the Carribean, and I hope Scoobydoo is booking his holiday as we speak.

This thread has been super-quiet. Systemsman didn't even comment that it wasn't a very good year :D
Have a good summer chaps - I hope normal service is resumed next year.

Systemsman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Systemsman » Sun May 15, 2022 1:32 pm

Only a few good songs around 6 or so from 40!! :D :D :lol:

No surprise Ukraine won. When I highlighted Ukraine as a possibility on 10th and then 12th February before the invasion they were 25/1 but took none of it myself!! (silly me). Made a few pounds from a late bet but just a fun bet at best. We just have to write this year off as just one of those strange years. I made Ukraine 3rd best on the night. Moldova the best stage performance and Sweden the best song but Sweden was sandwiched before and after by 4 other good songs so very hard for it to stand out - also they had a somewhat lackluster stage show and poor dress for the singer (and barefoot sitting on a black bare floor at the start!!). UK a surprise but not for the bookies who once again on the Saturday noon of the contest had the 1st and 2nd correct (always the best time to bet but very low prices by then) - I suspect the bookies do know the judging scores!! UK singer had a huge social media following - again worth remembering and no doubt got some support with judges for our support for Ukraine.

Onto 2023 when let's hope we have a real singing contest.

meldettori
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby meldettori » Sun May 15, 2022 7:36 pm

I was thinking about this, and this is a Major Voting Conundrum: If only allocating 11 virtually points, because we skip 11 and jump on to 12... if only allocating 11 points to 11 countries, how is it possible to have a REAL winner when we cannot give other countries points, i.e. judge each country fairly by giving it the point it deserves?

What do you guys think, would it have been fairer, would we have had probably a few ties along the years and NOT the same winners as with current voting points allocations?

:?

nors
Legend
Tips

Postby nors » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:42 pm

It looks likely that the UK will be Eurovision hosts in 2023.

Bookmakers have formed a market on which city will be hosting, with Glasgow the current favourites.

Eurovision Host Betting

https://www.olbg.com/blogs/eurovision-s ... st-betting
OLBG Community Manager.