Eurovision 2017. Your Tops and Ratings.

maletaja
2yo
Tips

Re: Eurovision 2017. Your Tops and Ratings.

Postby maletaja » Sun May 14, 2017 10:37 am

Actually it was suprise for me. Usually 2 same style songs dont win consecutive years. But Portugal hasnt won eurovision yet so mayby world needed fairytale story again

And same i thought to Italy. They needed win

And another thing. When Portugal had lead over 30 points jury lead i had 99% sure Portugal won. Algorithm are produced to serve such way that score should be competitive...
So basically algorithms have no chance to manevuer and give big gap at start...
I dont know that odds Betfair offered that moment. But i should have taken any odds 1.1.+ basically...

garc
Listed Class
Tips

Postby garc » Sun May 14, 2017 11:34 am

thanks to all on here who contributed to the total lunatic minefield that is Eurovision betting. great fun though. Belgium nearly gave me a heart attack just squeezing into 4th place so im up but not a big profit as I also had 3 other failed bets but Belgium was my main bet.
posted yesterday that there would be a long odds song in the top 4 but couldn't figure which one, Moldova !! good God.
bookies have no idea how to price this competition and there are great opportunities to make a few $ if we all put our heads together and get on before the semi finals as the value is usually gone after that. well done to Portugal backers which I was not one as I couldn't see it winning.
thanks again everyone and roll on 2018 for a major betting coup :D .

sandy123
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby sandy123 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:55 am

I will not betting on Eurovision next year, I might still watch it with a passing interest, but I won't stay up for the voting.

It's not because my selection's did badly (Bulgaria 2nd, Belgium 4th, Sweden 5th and Romania 7th), it's more to do with the fact that a crap song like the Portuguese one, can win it, and the new crazy voting system which has been introduced.

I won't go on about the Portugal song, in my opinion, this song should only be played in an old people retirement home.

As for the voting system, the introduction of having Judges 2 years ago, has meant inconsistencies even greater. You still get the Countries/Judges voting for each other I.e Greece/ Cyprus etc etc, but on top of that you get the madness of a couple of people in the music industry opinion, on what is good music or not. For instance last year the UK judges voted Georgia top, a rock song, that finished 20th out of 26. Presumably we had a couple of head bangers as Judges.

This year anomalies:
Australia scored 171 with the Judges, but only 2 with the Public
Moldova and Romania were lying in 15th and 16th place after the Judges vote, but ended up in 3rd and 7th place. 😕

I think it's time to give up trying to forecast the winner of Eurovision 😤

Cheers Alex

maletaja
2yo
Tips

Postby maletaja » Sun May 14, 2017 12:40 pm

Anyone know when did Portugal start to rise? After live perfomance, rehersals?
In my opinion this is crap song, but it can be predict it. You just have to listen eurovision experts(sharp ones). One of my good eurovision fanantic said, that Portugal will get jury full support. I didnt hear them and crowd will never vote that song. I was mistaken...

bottomlesspit
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby bottomlesspit » Sun May 14, 2017 4:15 pm

I will not betting on Eurovision next year,
That is the biggest load of rubbish you have written this year :D
You WILL be back, as like the rest of us, you will be powerless to stop yourself, as hopefully will Systemsman, whose enthusiasm I have rather missed this year.
I also had terrible trouble logging in this year, and I suspect that may have had something to do with the smaller amount of contributions this year.

Looking back with hindsight at Donal's first post, that was an incredibly astute Italy analysis
Well done indeed, professor!
And many thanks to the rest of you too

Roll on 2018 - I can't wait!

meldettori
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby meldettori » Sun May 14, 2017 5:01 pm

I won't go on about the Portugal song, in my opinion, this song should only be played in an old people retirement home.

So that's where I heard this 40 years ago :lol: jk

I didn't watch the voting, but flicked through it on YT. something new for sure, and does take out the spark of the expectations. These presenters were not as good as other countries. Ever since Ukraine won last year, it felt like a transition year this one, so on to 2018.

Another odd coincidence: in 1964 there was a protest by Portugal just prior to Italy's performance (which won then).
This year there was a protest when the winning singer performed (possibly a weirdo on stage, non political), and Portugal won.

Keep your eyes open, even if this song mesmerized or bewitched some of you, this Eurovision is a strange cookie compared or prior to 2000s.

sandy123
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby sandy123 » Sun May 14, 2017 6:39 pm

[quote=sandy123 post_id=1607493 time=1494762920 user_id=367782]
You WILL be back, as like the rest of us, you will be powerless to stop yourself, as hopefully will Systemsman, whose enthusiasm I have rather missed this year.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for your replies Bottomlesspit and Meldettori, you made me smile for the first time in days. As for next year I am not sure, the amount of time I spent listening to every song, and then still not to find the winner ? It's a tricky decision, because I do enjoy Eurovision.

Sorry if I offended anyone (including my sister-in-law), with my comments regarding the Portugal song.

Cheers Alex

sandy123
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby sandy123 » Sun May 14, 2017 6:41 pm

Thanks for your replies Bottomlesspit and Meldettori, you made me smile for the first time in days. As for next year I am not sure, the amount of time I spent listening to every song, and then still not to find the winner ? It's a tricky decision, because I do enjoy Eurovision.

Sorry if I offended anyone (including my sister-in-law), with my comments regarding the Portugal song.

Cheers Alex

Systemsman
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Systemsman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:52 am

Just to explain i have had major problems logging into this site this year (so gave up after many failed attempts on a number of occasions)compared to other years. All being well i will be back for 2018 to catch the early bird/song! Just wish we could go back to the old simple password, works every time log in.

OK did not work for 2017 as Portugal was new winner but i will post my ESC system again just for fun (If its a new winner we will not have it is the list ofcourse).

Past results for last four years:

1. Portugal (would need something extra special to win again in 2018)
2. Bulgaria
3. Moldova
4. Belgium

1. Ukraine
2. Australia
3. Russia
4. Bulgaria

1. Sweden (won 2012, 3rd 2013, won 2015)
2. Russia
3. Italy
4. Belgium

1. Austria
2. The Netherlands
3. Sweden (1st in 2012)
4. Armenia

Possible winners 2018
West Europe x6:
Portugal
Belgium

Sweden
Italy
Austria
The Netherlands

East Europe x 5
Bulgaria
Moldova
Ukraine
Russia
Armenia

Other x1
Australia (unlikely in a Euro contest)

So 12 in total for the long list.

My shorter list for 2018.
Bulgaria
Sweden (Lots of friends but lots of enemies)
Belgium
Russia (missing in 2017. Lots of friends but lots of enemies)
Italy
Moldova

Dont take it too seriously its just a bit of fun while we wait for 2018.

NickS8
2yo
Tips

Postby NickS8 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:46 pm

How many times Portugal won the Eurovision ?