Cheltenham Weather - snow?

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Cheltenham Weather - snow?

Postby Shrews » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:20 pm

30 day forecast, with Cheltenham in mind for the 13th-16th. The MET office says, the cold snap will continue and there may be snow!

Will we be seeing a soft or even heavy ground "Desert Orchid" festival this year? Perhaps worth having at the back of our minds if we're thinking of an antepost bet or two.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/wea ... 2018-02-10

"The end of February is likely to stay cold but often dry and settled with widespread frost overnight. This weather could last into early March, with a greater chance of easterly winds, which would bring very cold weather at times. The cold weather could well continue into the second week of March, although we may see some short-lived changeable spells bringing the risk of snow in places."

UnderdogsLover
Stallion
Tips

Re: Cheltenham Weather - snow?

Postby UnderdogsLover » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:51 am

Good hope cold snap continue, as this testing going we have now,
Will sort out a true stayer :) and possible can go for the National.

Yes remember that Dessie testing gong one.
Also rememberd The Thinker winning in the snow storm,
certainly saw his colours well, think they were orange!!
Not bad remembering that all those years ago. :cool:

Yes certainly this year be loking for horse, who loves testing going.
So look for better value one, ie ignore the well favourite ones..
Yay Festival getting nearer.

Micko70
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Micko70 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:16 am

Good hope cold snap continue, as this testing going we have now,
Will sort out a true stayer :) and possible can go for the National.

Yes remember that Dessie testing gong one.
Also rememberd The Thinker winning in the snow storm,
certainly saw his colours well, think they were orange!!
Not bad remembering that all those years ago. :cool:

Yes certainly this year be loking for horse, who loves testing going.
So look for better value one, ie ignore the well favourite ones..
Yay Festival getting nearer.
If i remember rightly, the thinkers race was put back and was run after 5.00, he was the first gold cup winner i backed even though i was under age at the time.

meoldmate
Legend
Betting Blog Tips

Postby meoldmate » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:34 pm

It was THE THINKER race that was put back as I was doing my nut and wanted the race to abandon as I was on For GiveN Forget and he wanted good ground, hopefully we will not see this cold spell appearing
OLBG Moderator

Arc Jimmy
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby Arc Jimmy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:47 am

For someone who cycles to work the weather is of paramount importance, just had a look at Cheltenham for 11th, 12th & 13th, first two days sunshine & showers 8 degrees 1 & 2 degrees overnight then 1st day of festival 8 degrees & sunshine, though way too far off to be relied upon let's hope they're not far off !

The Market Man
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby The Market Man » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:49 pm

I've seen a similar forecast. Rain the week before, fresh and dryer start to Festival week but more showers for Thursday and Friday.

They've been reliable in recent weeks

jaydubs
Stallion
Tips

Postby jaydubs » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:13 pm

I'm about 5 miles from the course. .ground has been pretty frozen all week (temp greens all week at my golf course) we have had a couple of flurries last 2 days but nothing that has laid at depth.. expecting a bit next 2 days but all forecast suggest it gets above freezing from Sunday onwards... lots of days suggesting rain up to the first race but we will see

Arc Jimmy
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby Arc Jimmy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:16 pm

I'm about 5 miles from the course. .ground has been pretty frozen all week (temp greens all week at my golf course) we have had a couple of flurries last 2 days but nothing that has laid at depth.. expecting a bit next 2 days but all forecast suggest it gets above freezing from Sunday onwards... lots of days suggesting rain up to the first race but we will see
I can imagine things have changed a bit since your last post.

I have ticket for this Sunday's meeting at my local track Huntingdon, I was pessimistic on Wednesday 9 degrees but now 3 following frost Saturday night.

DannyCraig
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby DannyCraig » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:29 pm

The snow/frost is only going to be for the next 48-72 hours in Cheltenham catching the end of Storm Emma. It’ll then be milder over the next fortnight with a little rain in the run up to the festival. A little rain = good to soft ground based on how quickly it drains there...I wouldn’t worry people, back normal, nothing to see here!

Arc Jimmy
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby Arc Jimmy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:58 am

I can imagine things have changed a bit since your last post.

I have ticket for this Sunday's meeting at my local track Huntingdon, I was pessimistic on Wednesday 9 degrees but now 3 following frost Saturday night.
Inspection 8am Friday, am pretty much resigned to it being off, having the whole of Cheltenham week off as holiday I will have to swap my paid ticket for the meeting on Wednesday 14th though not big fan of racing on same day as festival you take your eye off the ball, you always feel for the jockeys, not quite good enough for the festival.

The Snail
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby The Snail » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:00 pm

So close! Anyone who had a bet on snow at the festival was only two days out! Would have been unraceable looking at the pics they put up today! Thanks goodness we got a full four days in!!