Cheltenham Bankers The Big Ante Post Poll

Which four festival favourites are you most confident about?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Getabird (Supreme)
6%
Footpad (Arkle)
7%
Buveur Dair (Champion Hurdle)
11%
Apples Jade (OLBG Mares Hurdle)
14%
Samcro (Ballymore)
19%
Presenting Percy (RSA)
1%
Altior (QMCC)
7%
Cause Of Causes (XCC)
8%
Willoughby Court (JLT)
No votes
Un De Sceaux (Ryanair)
5%
Sam Spinner (Stayers)
2%
Laurinain (Mares Novice)
1%
Apples Shakira (Triumph Hurdle)
8%
Might Bite (Gold Cup)
9%

Total votes: 96
sportingsamcan
Group 3 Class
Betting Blog Tips

Cheltenham Bankers The Big Ante Post Poll

Postby sportingsamcan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:18 pm

Hi guys,

We want to get from yourselves the views on some of the warm ante post favourites for the Cheltenham Festival.

The task is this we want to create an enhanced special with a bookie around a Festival Acca. We figured the collective voice of OLBG members was the best way to do this.

The Poll will work as follows you all get up to 4 votes to select horses you think are likely winners for the Festival in March. We need your help on this so make sure you get involved and feel free to share your views on the thread about horses you think are bankers or blow outs. We aimed to select from a range of popular favourites rather than from every single race!

Mine

Apples Jade OLBG Mares Race- She is pure class, the trainer has said she will go for the race and I think she looks better than ever.
Samcro Ballymore- Whilst he was last seen winning over two i think he will be even better over further and will be the most impressive winner of the week.
Footpad Arkle- I have been all over this horse for a while now, such a neat jumper of a fence I fully expect him to scare plenty of decent rivals into the JLT
Cause Of Causes Cross Country- Saves his best for here a multiple Festival winner who just turns up and wins.

DannyCraig
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Re: Cheltenham Bankers The Big Ante Post Poll

Postby DannyCraig » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:15 pm

My selections:

Apples Jade: won a better quality renewal of the race last year.

Samcro: the hype looks well placed. The leading Novice hurdler of the season who will go on to be a fantastic chaser for years to come. Banker of the festival material imho.

Laurina: looks to be Mullins best Novice mare, with Salsaretta kept for next year, and newly found injury doubts about Maria’s Benefit.

Buveur D’air: previous champion coming back to retain his crown. So many questions marks about his rivals. Currently 2/5 in the market. Will easily be the biggest shock of the season if this gets overturned

Honourable mentions:

Footpad: solid fav but can Petit Mouchoir improve past him after only having 1 run post injury lay off / Sceau royal also looks a solid threat.

Cause of Causes: managed a prep run at the weekend, but there’s always the danger of being brought down or carried out in a race like this. Tiger Roll possibly aimed at this race who has excellent festival form.

Altior: interrupted prep this season. Potentially Douvan back, and Min won his last race comfortably too. If a clear run and despatches Politologue with no fuss at the weekend, then this will go into the banker pile.

Gman84
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Gman84 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:26 pm

I've voted for two:

Apple's Jade in the OLBG Mares' Hurdle. It's her perfect distance, she's the defending champ, the connections seem to be aiming her back for it and she is as classy as they come. She could be extremely competitive in the Champion or Stayers if she went for them but this is the perfect race for her and whilst she'll be odds on, it's hard to see anything that can line up and challenge her.

Buveur D'Air is also a defending champion in the Champion Hurdle and earlier in the season we were hoping to be able to look forward to a mouth watering clash between BD'A and the former champ, Faugheen, but given the latters recent form, whilst it still may happen, it's hard to believe Faugheen can be what he once was again. Outside of that I just think what we've seen from Buveur D'Air is that he's still as good, if not better than last year and I expect Barry to stalk the pace and then swing past the others on the run for home.

Footpad and Samcro would likely be my two other votes if I were prepared to give them but I struggle to call any novice a banker. Just a cautious side of me I guess. Both have looked extremely classy in their outings this season but the festival steps things up a notch and in the case of the Arkle, I think Petit Mouchoir and Seaux Royale could at least ask a question of Footpad whilst Samcro, a little bit of doubt about his target and just a case of it's all been almost two easy...he likely bolts up in the Ballymore though.

Micko70
Stallion
Betting Blog Tips

Postby Micko70 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:53 pm

Getabird, Samcro, Altior & Apples Shakira are my 4
OLBG Moderator

The Market Man
At Stud
Betting Blog Tips

Postby The Market Man » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:00 pm

My four were Buveur D’Air, Cause Of Causes, and the pair of Apple’s (some bookmaker is bound to make that a promotion during the week ! )

Like Sam, I’ve been with Footpad for months now and wouldn’t swap my tickets but I do think the Arkle field has strengthened in recent weeks. I’m against Petit Mouchoir but if he does improve then he might give Footpad a race. I just don’t think he’ll improve, particularly over the Cheltenham fences. Saint Calvados could be anything. His French form is excellent and he’s improving. He’s value for at least a place.

Footpad and Willoughby Court are both winners for me since the autumn ( anyone following me on Twitter will know that ) but I wouldn’t be stunned if either were beaten.
Also, despite Samcro looking like the real deal, I think On The Blind Side can beat him in the Ballymore and there’s also a chance Elliott chooses the Supreme ( depending on the weather ). The horse OTBS hammered by 20 lengths won a decent contest the other day.

I was going to post my blogs recently but delayed them til after the Festival entries. First one will be up tomorrow.

sportingsamcan
Group 3 Class
Betting Blog Tips

Postby sportingsamcan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:16 pm

Some great reactions and reasoning the poll has a week to run and I can't wait to read who else people feel is a banker bet for the Festival.

PompeyJim
Classic Winner
Betting Blog Tips

Postby PompeyJim » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:39 pm

My four would be -

1. FOOTPAD (Arkle) - Fourth in the Champion Hurdle last year and has looked a real top chasing prospect winning all three chases this season, travels strongly which you need to do to win an Arkle and has jumped well in the main. I think the five length win over Petit Mouchoir last weekend cemented his position as the one to beat as his first two bloodless victories may not have proved too much. The slight negative may be his three previous attempts outside of Ireland have met with defeat, two at Cheltenham and a fall at Aintree but you can't knock his fledgling chasing career to date, may not want the ground to quicken up come March.

2. BUVEUR DAIR (Champion Hurdle) - His win at Sandown at the weekend did no more than confirm his well being and I've not seen anything yet this season that is likely to wrestle his crown from him and stop him making it ten wins on the bounce. Tends to need a bit of stoking up when the race is hotting up but it's like he's toying with his rivals than being under pressure and he just seems to have that extra gear not witnessed in any of his rivals this season.

3. APPLES JADE (OLBG Mares Hurdle) - I think she'd give Buveur Dair a run for his money in a fast run Champion Hurdle over two miles but if she takes her chance here in trying to defend her OLBG Mares crown then she will be very hard to beat. Her defeat of Vroum Vroum Mag and Limini in last season's renewal is top form in the context of this year's race and arrives in top form having won all three this season. She was made to fight hard over Christmas when beating Supasundae by less than a length but that form looks even better now after that rival won the Irish Champion Hurdle last weekend.

4. SAMCRO (Ballymore Novices Hurdle) - Six wins from six and three from three over hurdles and has been visually impressive in all three this season including his first Grade 1 win at Leopardstown last weekend. Two miles and Two miles four seem to come alike to him and such versatility is crucial at the hurly burly of the festival. I think would have been close second fav to Buveur Dair if running in the Champion Hurdle but is always a tough ask for a novice and taking on his own in whatever engagement should result in a win. His win at the weekend was effortless, travelled really well which again is key at Cheltenham in races where they go a lot quicker than prep races against inferior opposition.

Negatives -

Would be happy to take FAUGHEEN on despite the hype that seems to follow him, any horse that has had to encounter an enforced injury absence and his recent races would suggest he is either a) not the same horse prior to injury or b) something is still bothering him. You need to be 100% going to Cheltenham, the great Istabraq had doubts surrounding him when attempting his fourth Champion Hurdle win and was duly pulled up fairly early on.

Would love to see ALTIOR win at Newbury at the weekend before going on to take the QM Champion Chase but it's disconcerting when they have had an interrupted preparation and I couldn't nominate him as a banker as a result.
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant

JoeWBA
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby JoeWBA » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:34 pm

Samcro (Supreme) - Proven that he can travel and quicken off a grade 1 2-mile pace when easily winning the Deloitte. He'd get a nice, even gallop to settle and quicken off in the Supreme. I'd have concerns about him possibly pulling early in the Ballymore and getting beaten by a strong stayer like On The Blind Side, as they generally crawl round until 3 or 4 out then kick for home.

Apples Jade (Mares) - Won't face anything as good as the two she beat into 2nd and 3rd last year and can only get better as a 6yo. The Christmas Hurdle form with Supasundae reads very well.

Presenting Percy (RSA) - A monstrous performance in the Pertemps last season to rout the field off near enough top weight as a novice. Beat some decent opposition in the Galmoy LTO on ground that was much softer than ideal and made a mockery of a mark of 145 in the Porterstown when winning by 11 lengths on the bridle.

Laurina (Mares Novice) - Comparisons are being drawn between her and previous Mares Novice winner Limini, and it's easy to see why. Cruised through the Solerina before taking it up two out and winning by 11 lengths without being asked a question. The second in that race has since come out and won a handicap at the Dublin Racing Festival by 8 lengths.

Shrews
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Shrews » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:55 pm

Only one banker for me and that's Apple's Jade. The competitiveness in this race over the years appears to be low with the range between the best and worst greater than perhaps any other race at the festival (118-154 last year). So there are normally only a few who can be realistically considered. This horse is worthy favourite, she won perhaps a more competitive race last year beating Vroum Vroum Mag who had been one of the leading fancies for the Champion Hurdle in the Antepost market and Limini who had impressed when winning the Mares Novice in 2016. She appears to have progressed again since, her beating of Nichols Canyon and Supersundae by 9 lengths at Fairyhouse now looks top form with the latter going on to win the Irish Champion Hurdle.